Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Premier League 29/4 - 2/5/23

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Leicester are such a strange side. On paper, they have some decent players- certainly better ones than a lot of the clubs down there. In terms of quality, I tend to look at it in terms of which players would be in demand from Premier League clubs if they went down?
Leicester have many decent players. Their problem is that all their shit players play in defence and they also let Schmeichal go without properly replacing him, which is plain stupid. There isn't a single first choice defender at Leicester that I'd want anywhere near our squad, never mind our first XI.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
You can see it happening, but I can't get past the fact Chelsea scored ONE goal in April, and that was a fluke. I reckon Arsenal will score first but the chavs will grab a draw.
Gallagher must be pretty chuffed with his goal of the month award though. I mean, he's not going to win much else in his career, is he?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
A last-second switch of penalty taker would surely beat this system.
Presumably every GK has this data - normally in their heads ? .
Anyway its the first PL pen he's saved for nearly three years.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Presumably every GK has this data - normally in their heads ? .
Anyway its the first PL pen he's saved for nearly three years.
You'd think so, wouldn't you? But then you'd think "Maddison middle" would be enough info on the bottle, without the percentages.

As for number of saves, I guess the reliability of research/bottle info (in terms of being some kind of 'advantage') more accurately measured on number of times he's correctly dived in the right direction (or not dived at all).

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
At the start of this season, the concept that we could potentially finish above Chelsea (looking 'almost' certain), Spurs (quite possible) and Liverpool (doable, but depends), would be in the realms of fantasy - certainly to me, anyway.
It's a mad, far cry from when we were promoted to the Premier League.
We looked like boys v men, that first season, but have got gradually stronger and better, to playing some of the best football I've ever seen.
I genuinely have to pinch myself, occasionally, not born from a sense of masochism, but utter incredulity.
Whatever happens, this is the most amazing season that I've witnessed in over 50 years of following us....and the story isn't over, yet.
As I've said before, glass is mostly full. :)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
At the start of this season, the concept that we could potentially finish above Chelsea (looking 'almost' certain), Spurs (quite possible) and Liverpool (doable, but depends), would be in the realms of fantasy - certainly to me, anyway.

And if we hadn't been cheated by officials, we'd have finished above all 3.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
You're not alone in that.

But we are in and amongst the 'top 6'. Top 7 if you include Newcastle. We are competing with - and at least half the time dominating the top teams.
That's wild. Insane. I still have imposter syndrome. This should not be happening.

It wasn't so long ago that Tony Bloom's stated aim was a top ten position. I wonder what his (unstated) aim is these days?

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
You're not alone in that.

But we are in and amongst the 'top 6'. Top 7 if you include Newcastle. We are competing with - and at least half the time dominating the top teams.
That's wild. Insane. I still have imposter syndrome. This should not be happening.

It wasn't so long ago that Tony Bloom's stated aim was a top ten position. I wonder what his (unstated) aim is these days?
I think he would be content with a consistent top 10, with (hopefully) a regular foray into the top 6.
Realistically, that's pretty much the best we can hope for, barring massive cash injections.
Oh, and a cup win would do nicely, too. :)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I think he would be content with a consistent top 10, with (hopefully) a regular foray into the top 6.
Realistically, that's pretty much the best we can hope for, barring massive cash injections.
Oh, and a cup win would do nicely, too. :)
I would agree with that. But you and I are not Tony Bloom.
I asked 'I wonder what his (unstated) aim is these days?' because he likes to keep his cards close to his chest. A bit frustrating for us, but hey, it works.

If I read him right, he's on the ride of his life. And he's in the driving seat. He's not just the owner; he's our biggest fan. He's in control, and he's raising the stakes.
The question we might ask ourselves is this:

Given what we are witnessing (a work in progress with steady improvement). does the best that you and I can realistically hope for, equate to the limit of Tony Bloom's ambitions?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here