[Albion] Premier League 16-26/4/21

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'd like to add Hitler invading Soviet somewhere in that mix

4th - behind Jedward being voted through on the first week of XFactor 2009.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
Oh dear ..Sean Dyche a bit touchy

On their relegation battle: "Brighton are there as well – it seems like you never mention them. We’ve worked hard for everything we’ve had in the Premier League."

Dyche is such a dissembler. We have been mentioned in the talk of relegation far more than Burnley have.

Sky mid March: Talks of the emerging three way battle between us, Fulham & Newcastle. Burnley in the 'not quite safe' group: https://www.skysports.com/football/...legation-battle-analysed-by-form-and-fixtures
BT after the Newcastle win. We were a point behind Burnley with a much better goal difference. We're 'relegation rivals'. Burnley and Southampton are 'not yet safe.' https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2021/...legation-battle-is-shaping-up-ahead-of-run-in
90 Minutes mid March - Burnley need a couple of results to start planning for next season. We've got our work cut out if we are to survive: https://www.90min.com/posts/who-will-be-relegated-from-the-premier-league-this-season-opinion

I can't find the one I saw a week or so back that only looked at us, Newcastle, Fulham & WBA.

Dyche thrives on imagined sleights from officials and the media. He particularly doesn't like us because we have had a bit of respect for trying to play a bit of football and he has a chip on his shoulder about not getting the credit he has deserved. It's a pile of self-serving tosh. He gets fair and honest reckoning from the media. They credit him for performing wonders in punching well above Burnley's financial weight, but they also call him out for his pragmatic approach to putting results before everything else including entertainment. I have no issue with his approach. Good luck to him. We survived under Chris doing the same things. We're now trying a different way. Our manager and players have been open and honest about the aims, challenges and current limitations of the approach. Dyche might get more of the respect that he is so desperate for, if he would stop trying to have his cake and eat it and just admit that his approach also has its limitations and that one of those is that its not going to win fans among the purists.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Dyche is such a dissembler. We have been mentioned in the talk of relegation far more than Burnley have.

Sky mid March: Talks of the emerging three way battle between us, Fulham & Newcastle. Burnley in the 'not quite safe' group: https://www.skysports.com/football/...legation-battle-analysed-by-form-and-fixtures
BT after the Newcastle win. We were a point behind Burnley with a much better goal difference. We're 'relegation rivals'. Burnley and Southampton are 'not yet safe.' https://www.bt.com/sport/news/2021/...legation-battle-is-shaping-up-ahead-of-run-in
90 Minutes mid March - Burnley need a couple of results to start planning for next season. We've got our work cut out if we are to survive: https://www.90min.com/posts/who-will-be-relegated-from-the-premier-league-this-season-opinion

I can't find the one I saw a week or so back that only looked at us, Newcastle, Fulham & WBA.

Dyche thrives on imagined sleights from officials and the media. He particularly doesn't like us because we have had a bit of respect for trying to play a bit of football and he has a chip on his shoulder about not getting the credit he has deserved. It's a pile of self-serving tosh. He gets fair and honest reckoning from the media. They credit him for performing wonders in punching well above Burnley's financial weight, but they also call him out for his pragmatic approach to putting results before everything else including entertainment. I have no issue with his approach. Good luck to him. We survived under Chris doing the same things. We're now trying a different way. Our manager and players have been open and honest about the aims, challenges and current limitations of the approach. Dyche might get more of the respect that he is so desperate for, if he would stop trying to have his cake and eat it and just admit that his approach also has its limitations and that one of those is that its not going to win fans among the purists.

Great post, spot on.

Fortunately I’ve noticed a number of people in the media have finally picked up on how tedious and unlikable Dyche actually is. Luke Moore from the Football Rambke particularly has his number and more and more comments I’ve heard on podcasts and read in papers are saying the same thing.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Fulham need a min of 3 wins and at least 1 draw from a last 5 of, Chelsea A, Burnley H, So’ton A, Man Utd A & Newcastle H.
Looks do-able if Parker can fire them up for the 2 Home and Southampton.

Burnley have, Wolves A, West Ham H, Fulham A, Leeds H, Liverpool H & Sheff Utd A.

WBA’s last 7, Leicester A, Villa A, Wolves H, Arsenal A, Liverpool H, West Ham H & Leeds A. 7 points from their next 3 would make things interesting.

Well quite.

If West Brom hit Champions league qualifyng form for the rest of the season, then maybe there will be a risk that we might stay up.

but we shouldn't consider ourselves "safe"

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

Spot on. Dyche is a tedious bore. He has had virtual hero-worship status from the media for far too long, for serving up anti-football of the worst kind. His tactics appear to consist almost entirely of lumping the ball into the box to the likes of Wood and Barnes - all elbows and muscle - and see what happens. Unfortunately they have an annoying knack of staying up.....but I just wonder what the hell is the point?!

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
See you in 2 season's time if you can stay up next year. If we had the current side plus a decent striker from the start of the season we'd have been safe weeks ago but the late playoff final and an over reliance on Mitro put paid to that. Hopefully we wint lose all our decent players now. It's worth noting that the Albions 0-0 draw at the Cottage was the first for hundreds of games so thanks for helping to make this season so interesting :lolol:

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
See you in 2 season's time if you can stay up next year. If we had the current side plus a decent striker from the start of the season we'd have been safe weeks ago but the late playoff final and an over reliance on Mitro put paid to that. Hopefully we wint lose all our decent players now. It's worth noting that the Albions 0-0 draw at the Cottage was the first for hundreds of games so thanks for helping to make this season so interesting :lolol:

Best ones are all on loan anyway aren't they?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Fulham who have won 5 from 33 all season, you expecting them to win 3 and draw 1 in there last 5 games.
West Brom need at least 3 wins and a draw just to go above us, without us picking up another point. Maybe over a season, but with 7 games to go, I can't see that.

The fewest points Albion have ever have accumulated from a 7 game run in the EPL in the last four years was 2 points - twice under Hughton in 2018/19.
That rather bleak scenario would leave us on 35 and leave Fulham with 3 wins from their final 5 to overtake us and reach 36.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Fulham need a min of 3 wins and at least 1 draw from a last 5 of, Chelsea A, Burnley H, So’ton A, Man Utd A & Newcastle H.

Burnley have, Wolves A, West Ham H, Fulham A, Leeds H, Liverpool H & Sheff Utd A.

WBA’s last 7, Leicester A, Villa A, Wolves H, Arsenal A, Liverpool H, West Ham H & Leeds A. 7 points from their next 3 would make things interesting.
If we don't get another point this season, Fulham would only need two wins and a draw, not three. Fortunately though, the chances of us losing all seven of our remaining matches are very, very slight.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
If we don't get another point this season, Fulham would only need two wins and a draw, not three. Fortunately though, the chances of us losing all seven of our remaining matches are very, very slight.

Our poorest run of consecutive defeats in the EPL is 4 straight losses in 2018/19.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex

Fulham's run in - with 5 games to go, they have to hope that the last game vs. Newcastle is still worth something.. That means they must win probably 2 of the next 4 unless The rest of us pick nothing up. I cant see them beating Burnley and Chelsea : and only Utd if their season is done and dusted (2nd to last round of fixtures, 15th May). Its not impossible, but its very, very unlikely. I also think we will get, at worst a couple of points from our next 4 fixtures meaning the target for them is 35/36 points points as far as we and Newcastle are concerned. Us and the magpies both have to play Sheff Utd too. I honestly think that WBA will reel them in and they will be more of a threat, but again, only if we get nothing from the next 4...

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
We are not going to lose 7 on the bounce. & its getting to the point where Fulham's only chance of survival is for that to happen. We're on 33 points from 31 games, so 7-8 points from the remaining games would be about average. So lets say we have a poor end to the season and actually only get 4 points. That would mean Fulham need to get to 38, so 11 more points. Thats the equivalent of 4 wins from 5, or 3 wins & 2 draws. Not going to happen.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56795089

Just me that thinks Parker is clutching as straws saying Arsenal's goal should have been ruled out? Yes the Arsenal player was standing in an offside positions but not in front of the goalkeeper and doesnt make an attempt for the ball. If Fulham had scored that goal im sure he would have happily taken it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/56795089

Just me that thinks Parker is clutching as straws saying Arsenal's goal should have been ruled out? Yes the Arsenal player was standing in an offside positions but not in front of the goalkeeper and doesnt make an attempt for the ball. If Fulham had scored that goal im sure he would have happily taken it.

I think its ****ing cringey when managers goes on about refs. Cant stand it.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
We are not going to lose 7 on the bounce. & its getting to the point where Fulham's only chance of survival is for that to happen. We're on 33 points from 31 games, so 7-8 points from the remaining games would be about average. So lets say we have a poor end to the season and actually only get 4 points. That would mean Fulham need to get to 38, so 11 more points. Thats the equivalent of 4 wins from 5, or 3 wins & 2 draws. Not going to happen.

In our last 3 seasons from our last 7 games :
2017/18: 6 points - DLDDWLL
2018/19: 3 points - LLDLDDL
2019/20: 8 points - LWLLDDW

and yep. we've never lost 7 in a row. Worst sequence so far is 4 in the EPL.

Jeremiah

God is great
Mar 15, 2020
Hove
In our last 3 seasons from our last 7 games :
2017/18: 6 points - DLDDWLL
2018/19: 3 points - LLDLDDL
2019/20: 8 points - LWLLDDW

and yep. we've never lost 7 in a row. Worst sequence so far is 4 in the EPL.

Hmm us only get 3 points would mean "squeaky b@m time" but I fancy us to get 5 or more and 38 points - so yes should be ok unless West Brom go crazy.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I can't see Fulham getting more than 7 pts from their last 5.
But with their inability to hold a lead, i fear that even a final total of 34 seems a little far-fetched.

West Brom look to be more of a threat, their current form is impressive.
But they would need to hit incredible form to put any pressure on us.
There are no easy points in their run in either.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports