axscott

Jan 10, 2022
1681771221319.png

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Down to eighth at 5pm on Saturday after smashing Nott'm Forest. :(
Yeah, that is a bit of a concern. Games in hand are only theoretical points. It’s always better to have them chalked up and on the board. While we’ve been playing champagne football, there’s always the chance that injuries and possible nerves will kick in as we have to play a lot of games in short order.

Bloody exciting though, innit?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This has annoyingly destroyed our goal difference advantage over Liverpool. Leeds are a joke.

Gabbiano

Dec 18, 2017
Spank the Manc
Yeah, that is a bit of a concern. Games in hand are only theoretical points. It’s always better to have them chalked up and on the board. While we’ve been playing champagne football, there’s always the chance that injuries and possible nerves will kick in as we have to play a lot of games in short order.

Agreed, points on the board are always better than games in hand.

Games in hand against Newcastle, Man U and Man City are hardly easy points unfortunately. We won’t get 9 from that so we should stop imagining that after we’ve caught up in games we’ll be X positions further up the table. We need to just focus on whatever is next up.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

RDZ won’t allow nerves in his team. Big Balls, he says.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Does anybody seriously view Palace as other than a small club now? A club that treads water and views survival as success. I don't ont consider them rivals anymore. Haven't for a few years now.
Come on, that's ridiculous really. We finish above them for two seasons and you're seriously saying that's it, you dont consider them rivals anymore? 🤣 We're better than them at the moment (for the first time in a long time too) but football goes in cycles. We might find we're much closer to them again next season for all we know depending on a number of factors. This upward curve will end some point. (I'm certainly enjoying it while it lasts though, and Bloom will of course have a plan to try to keep the momentum going!) At the end of the day we're the better run club at the moment but we'll always be similar sized clubs

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I'm pretty confident they'll hand Forest a pasting too being at home and what with the terrible form Forest are in.
I wonder if somehow that might be to our advantage tho. If a miracle happened and Forest beat Liverpool that would give them a mighty confidence boost going into our game.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Come on, that's ridiculous really. We finish above them for two seasons and you're seriously saying that's it, you dont consider them rivals anymore? 🤣 We're better than them at the moment (for the first time in a long time too) but football goes in cycles. We might find we're much closer to them again next season for all we know depending on a number of factors. This upward curve will end some point. (I'm certainly enjoying it while it lasts though, and Bloom will of course have a plan to try to keep the momentum going!) At the end of the day we're the better run club at the moment but we'll always be similar sized clubs
I sort of know what you mean historically, but you have to say that the Albion are set up for more success while P*l*ce have no infrastructure, or basic control of their future.
While we are managing success through an analytical chairman, and fan, they are managing the precipice through a bunch of American investors who seemed to be getting bored lately.
They’re still our rivals but we appear to be on an upward trend while they, at best, are treading water with a storm on the horizon.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Does anybody seriously view Palace as other than a small club now? A club that treads water and views survival as success. I don't ont consider them rivals anymore. Haven't for a few years now.
We have finished above them once in the PL so far, they did us over in the play offs and we’ve beaten them just once in the last three seasons.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I sort of know what you mean historically, but you have to say that the Albion are set up for more success while P*l*ce have no infrastructure, or basic control of their future.
While we are managing success through an analytical chairman, and fan, they are managing the precipice through a bunch of American investors who seemed to be getting bored lately.
They’re still our rivals but we appear to be on an upward trend while they, at best, are treading water with a storm on the horizon.
If one or two of our top midfielders move on in the summer next season could be a different proposition. We had a taste against Arsenal and got smashed.

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
If one or two of our top midfielders move on in the summer next season could be a different proposition. We had a taste against Arsenal and got smashed.
That’s fair, but our rivals cannot be said to have any sort of strategy apart from somehow staying up. A big part of that has been one player who “could” be leaving at the end of the season.
They are bang in trouble in my view. No manager, finances dodgy (as always) - we’re not.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
That’s fair, but our rivals cannot be said to have any sort of strategy apart from somehow staying up. A big part of that has been one player who “could” be leaving at the end of the season.
They are bang in trouble in my view. No manager, finances dodgy (as always) - we’re not.
Apart from 5 maybe 6 teams isn’t the goal staying in the premier league?

That 1 player hasn’t played in the last 2.5 games in which palace have won all 3 and scored all 9 goals without him. To say Brighton now have “ bigger fish to fry” after finishing above palace for what the 3rd time in 30 odd years seems a bit arrogant.

Both Brighton and Palace are living their best life’s ever at the moment, it won’t last so just enjoy the good times, you only have to look down the road at Southampton who we all marvelled at their youth produced and looked at them as a team to emulate….

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
From what I've seen of each of the teams around us, I think Spurs are the ones we should be finishing above. I don't see Brentford or below catching us now so that alone would hopefully be enough for Top 7 at very least.

4 points from our games in hand on them (doable) would see us ahead of them on goal difference.

Just looked, Spurs have a really tough run in as well;

Newcastle A
Man Utd H
Liverpool A
Palace H
Villa A
Brentford H
Leeds A

All decent and/or in-form teams bar Leeds really.

Last edited:

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007

That 1 player hasn’t played in the last 2.5 games in which palace have won all 3 and scored all 9 goals without him. To say Brighton now have “ bigger fish to fry” after finishing above palace for what the 3rd time in 30 odd years seems a bit arrogant.

Both Brighton and Palace are living their best life’s ever at the moment, it won’t last so just enjoy the good times, you only have to look down the road at Southampton who we all marvelled at their youth produced and looked at them as a team to emulate….
I've been watching our lot for 57 years and I totally know where you're coming from. Enjoy every minute as there will always be ups and downs. And yep our ultimate goal is staying up each year.

But that was changed three years ago - establishing as a top 10 club was the aim.
Rubbish I thought, unless you invest in the wages structure, no chance.
Proved very wrong.

For me, it's always been about financial muscle.
This season, in relative terms, Southampton haven't invested, Leicester haven't invested.
Bottom two.
When we sacked Chrissy Hughton, I thought it was a bad decision as we hadn't invested, relative to others.
Wrong again.

Tony Bloom seems to have broken the mould at least for the moment 🤞🤞
As long as he is around and the algorithm isn't duplicated by too many others, I don't see us falling into the traps that the above clubs, Derby County, Reading, Cardiff et all have fallen into.
These were all dreadful owners who ran out of cash (relative to others).

If he decides to jack it in, we're probably back with the bottom feeders.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham

This, the 40 point target is all that matters for clubs like Brighton /Palace the rest is a nice bonus.
One wrong managerial appointment or an injury ravaged squad can turn a season into a shit show at this level.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I've been watching our lot for 57 years and I totally know where you're coming from. Enjoy every minute as there will always be ups and downs. And yep our ultimate goal is staying up each year.

But that was changed three years ago - establishing as a top 10 club was the aim.
Rubbish I thought, unless you invest in the wages structure, no chance.
Proved very wrong.

For me, it's always been about financial muscle.
This season, in relative terms, Southampton haven't invested, Leicester haven't invested.
Bottom two.
When we sacked Chrissy Hughton, I thought it was a bad decision as we hadn't invested, relative to others.
Wrong again.

Tony Bloom seems to have broken the mould at least for the moment 🤞🤞
As long as he is around and the algorithm isn't duplicated by too many others, I don't see us falling into the traps that the above clubs, Derby County, Reading, Cardiff et all have fallen into.
These were all dreadful owners who ran out of cash (relative to others).

If he decides to jack it in, we're probably back with the bottom feeders.
I think we're safe on that front. Why would he jack it in? He's not just an owner. He's a fan. Perhaps the biggest fan who has ever lived.

He has bought the ticket, taken the ride, and loved it so much he has bought the ride. But with this ride, as a fan, you don't get off.

The only plan to 'jack it in' I can see on the distant horizon is some kind of succession plan to pass on to his children in a smooth, seamless transition. Which will, of course, be already in place.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here