Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Predict the England 23 man squad *A FUN FUN GAME"

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Focusing on the strikers, Ricky Lambert has made 29 apps, 9 goals this season, so not so prolific and all of his Prem goals have come against bottom half teams apart from one in a 3-2 defeat to Spurs. He's 32 years old, could be knackered for Brazil.

Contrast that with Andy Carroll who is 25, fit and scored the wonder header vs. Sweden in Euro 2012.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
Focusing on the strikers, Ricky Lambert has made 29 apps, 9 goals this season, so not so prolific and all of his Prem goals have come against bottom half teams apart from one in a 3-2 defeat to Spurs. He's 32 years old, could be knackered for Brazil.

Contrast that with Andy Carroll who is 25, fit and scored the wonder header vs. Sweden in Euro 2012.

I can't see the stats but how does Carrol tally up directly against Lambert this season?

Using figures to show reasons to not include RL is fair enough but your basis for including AC is he's fit (I think Lambert has played more this season?) and scored a goal for England two years ago, which doesn't give much of a head to head view.

Personally, I'd still go for RL, fitness isn't that important when neither is likely to actually start a game and I see him as being a more rounded striker than the typical 'big lad up front' that AC tends to be.

ElectricNaz

Jan 23, 2013
Hampshire
GK: Hart, Forster, Ruddy

Defenders: Johnson, Baines, Cole, Jagielka, Cahill, Jones, Smalling

Midfielders: Gerrard, Wilshere, Carrick, Henderson, Cleverley, Lallana, Milner, Oxo, Sterling

Forwards: Sturridge, Rooney, Carroll, Welbeck

Not my personal choice but probably the choice Woy would take

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Predict? Dont you just pick the 23 English players in the Premier League?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Do you think Heskey got into England squad after England squad based on his goalscoring record? Perhaps Lambert is a better hold up/link striker than Carroll? I think he has better technique and is less of an out and out goalscorer. Also a VERY good penalty taker which will inevitably become important.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
GKs: Hart, Forster, Foster

DFs: Baines, Cole, Cahill, Jagielka, Johnson, Jones, Smalling

MFs: Gerrard (C), Lampard, Carrick, Wilshere, Barkley, Townsend, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Walcott, Morrison

CFs: Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Defoe

Take out Smalling, Walcott and Morrison and replace with Walker, Sterling and Milner, and that would be my updated squad.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
England have not scored a goal without Wellbeck being on the pitch for seven games.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
I was actually quite impressed with a number of performances against Denmark. Sterling most of all, if I was Hodgson I would have inked that one in as soon as I got home and possibly pencilled Lallana in as well. Trouble is these players are arriving rather late on the scene, leaving Hodge little time to get it gelled. ???

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I thought Lallana and Shaw were really very very good when they came on. Both showed some DRIVE. Sure they were fresher but they both did exactly what they've been doing for their clubs.

Would ROy have the balls to start with Lallana? Probably not. But I'd love him too.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
GKs

Hart, Forster & Foster (Ruddy on Standby)

DFs

Baines, Cahil, Cole, Jagielka, Johnson, Jones, Lescott & Walker (Shaw and Smalling on SB)

MFs

Gerrard (C), Carrick, Lampard, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Sterling, Townsend & Wilshere (Barkley and Lallana on SB)

CFs

Carroll , Rooney, Sturridge & Welbeck (Lambert and Defoe on SB)

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Phew. It's begun. I'm struggling on my midfielders.

Hart, F Forster, Ruddy

Walker, Johnson, Jones, Smalling, Cahill, Jagielka, Cole, Baines

Barkley, Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Wilshire, Townsend, The Ox.

Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Lambert, Walcott

Ravel Morrison JUST misses out.
Milner is a shock omission

Wow. Only 15 correct.

I think I had 2 wrong because of injury...but still.

Poor from me. However I'm delighted Roy picked the squad he has and not mine! Lallana wasn't even in my mind before. Now he's my favourite player we have.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Here's what won't happen, but would if I were given sole charge of Team England:

Hart, Ruddy,
Jags, Cahill, Smalling, Baines, Cole, Jenkinson
Gerrard, Milner, Barkley, Wilshere, Carrick, Walcott, Townsend, Oxlade, Redmond, Zaha, Ince, Morrison
Rooney, Sturridge, Berahino

We would EASILY win the World Cup with that squad.

So near but yet so far. I feel Roy missed a trick.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Wow. Only 15 correct.

I think I had 2 wrong because of injury...but still.

Poor from me. However I'm delighted Roy picked the squad he has and not mine! Lallana wasn't even in my mind before. Now he's my favourite player we have.

15 with two injuries for me too. I am consoling myself with the fact that I got all FOUR strikers correct.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Is it too late to join in this FUN FUN GAME?

I'm going to go ahead and post my squad anyway. Mejona can decide to disqualify me or not on his own whim.

G.K: Hart, Foster, Forster

Def: Baines, Cole, Johnson, Walker, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling

Mid: Gerrard, Henderson, Wilshere, Carrick, The Ox, Lallana, Sterling, Milner

For: Rooney, Sturridge, Welbeck, Lambert

Not bad, 20 out of 23. But then I did only post my squad in march, 5 months after everyone else.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Gks
Hart; Forster; Butland

Defs
A. Cole, Baines, Johnson, Jones, Walker, Cahill, Jagielka, Lescott

Mids
Gerrard, Lampard, Walcott, Ox, Milner, Carrick, Townsend, Young (will have a good 2nd half of season and find himself in favour)

Strikers
Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Carroll

===

Wilshere will be injured.

Wilshere still has time to get injured. Ouch, only 13 right. Quite a few injuries though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here