Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Predict the England 23 man squad *A FUN FUN GAME"

seagullsdaz

May 3, 2009
Brighton
Goalkeepers:

Joe Hart , Ben Foster , Fraser Forster

Defenders :

Ashley Cole , Cahill , Jagielka , Johnson , Walker , Phil Jones , Baines , Dawson

Midfielders :

Gerrard , Townsend , Barkley , Wilshire , Walcott , Ox , Lampard , Carrick

Strikers:

Rooney , Sturridge , Lambert , Welbeck

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Without looking at yours:

Hart, Foster, Forster

Jagielka, Cahill, Jones, Cole, Walker, Smalling, Lescott, Terry, Baines

Gerrard, Walcott, Parker, Carrick, Henderson, Wilshere, Oxlade, Townsend

Rooney, Welbeck, Lambert

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Here we go:

Hart, Foster, Forster

Ashley Cole , Cahill , Jagielka , Johnson , Walker , Phil Jones , Baines , Dawson

Gerrard , Townsend , Barkley , Wilshire , Morrison , Ox , Lampard , Carrick

Rooney , Sturridge , Lambert , Welbeck

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Good thinking. Or maybe WILL HUGHES.

Will Hughes, Joe Cole, Jesse Lingard are all in DIRECT competition for that last spot.

I think people may be under estimating JONJO at Swansea. He's been bloody excellent for them recently.

Im not even joking.

Seriously.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Have to say I don't follow it so closely - has Parker really fallen so far from grace? He was almost first name on the teamsheet at Euro 2012

He's moved to Fulham and is basically charged with having to look after the whole defensive side of his team whilst Berbatov, Ruiz, Taraabt, Darren Bent and co do literally NO tracking back. I just can't see Roy taking him. Barry however is now at a lovely footballing side and is in the same team as Barkley. He really looked good the other night against Newcastle and certainly needed the move.

I suppose it depends how much Roy thinks he needs to add another proven DM to the squad.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Barry isn't a bad shout actually. A good season at Everton would see him well in contention.

One of Wilshere or Walcott will DEFINITELY miss the WC through injury.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
He's moved to Fulham and is basically charged with having to look after the whole defensive side of his team whilst Berbatov, Ruiz, Taraabt, Darren Bent and co do literally NO tracking back. I just can't see Roy taking him. Barry however is now at a lovely footballing side and is in the same team as Barkley. He really looked good the other night against Newcastle and certainly needed the move.

I suppose it depends how much Roy thinks he needs to add another proven DM to the squad.

And Jagielka and Baines. Not a bad shout at all.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Without looking at yours:

Hart, Foster, Forster

Jagielka, Cahill, Jones, Cole, Walker, Smalling, Lescott, Terry, Baines

Gerrard, Walcott, Parker, Carrick, Henderson, Wilshere, Oxlade, Townsend

Rooney, Welbeck, Lambert

Oooh, Jordan Henderson is another good shout. He seems to be a preferred starter for Liverpool in one of their 2 'holding' births. He's a very good athlete too rather than a thug, a good season at Anfield could well see him get a seat on the plane.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Hart, F Forster, Ruddy

Walker, Johnson, Cahill, Jagielka, Jones, Lescott, Cole, Baines

Barkley, Gerrard, Lampard, Carrick, Wilshire, Townsend, Oxlade Chamberlain, Walcott

Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Lambert

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
I'll give it a go, I'm bound to have forgotten someone good, though.

Goalkeepers
Joe Hart, Fraser Forster, Whatshisface Ruddy.

Defenders
Leighton Baines, Ashley Cole, Cahill, Jagielka, Joleen Lescott, Glenn Johnson, Rose, Smalling.

Midfielders
Stephen Gerrard, Michael Carrick, Andros Townsend, Jack Wiltshire, Frank Lampard, Theo Walcott, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Barkley.

Forwards
Danny Welbeck, Daniel Sturridge, Ashley Barnes:lolol:, Wayne Rooney

I can't believe nobody spotted this little gem

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I've never known a time when the squad so clearly picks itself. Clearly a sign of having a smaller pool of talent to choose from.

To summarise: out of the 20-odd named in this thread the only issues seem to be whether to take Ruddy or Butland as third goalkeeper, and whether the 8th midfielder will be Lampard or Milner.

The vast majority are agreed on 8 defenders, 8 midfielders, 4 strikers and 3 keepers.

Ravel Morrison seems to be the only player yet to feature in the squad that people think might make Brazil. Wilshere's return to fitness, plus the emergence of Barkley, Townsend and Sturridge seem to have bumped Cleverley, Ashley Young and Jermain Defoe down the pecking order.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I've never known a time when the squad so clearly picks itself. Clearly a sign of having a smaller pool of talent to choose from.

To summarise: out of the 20-odd named in this thread the only issues seem to be whether to take Ruddy or Butland as third goalkeeper, and whether the 8th midfielder will be Lampard or Milner.

The vast majority are agreed on 8 defenders, 8 midfielders, 4 strikers and 3 keepers.

Ravel Morrison seems to be the only player yet to feature in the squad that people think might make Brazil. Wilshere's return to fitness, plus the emergence of Barkley, Townsend and Sturridge seem to have bumped Cleverley, Ashley Young and Jermain Defoe down the pecking order.

best players, maybe - but I think people are picking too many full-backs and wingers. Past squads tend to have five centre-backs and 2 or 3 defensive midielders.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Bloody hell - the England squad is really getting weaker every year, isn't it.

Still, I think we are really falling into "underdog" status now, which in football can often be a good thing.

I think there are a lot of exciting youngsters coming through, but that is still very little in comparison to some of the players that are coming through in Spain, Germany etc (BELGIUM?!)

Personally i'm excited to see how Ross Barkley progresses throughout the season, if he has a stormer i can see Roy taking him to Brazil.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here