Pre-match opera? Great idea. Said no one ever.

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Right, so the club hit on a winning formula with 'Sussex by the Sea', albeit accidentally, and they want to kill the atmosphere by having sodding tenors doing it. By all means, do anything else - who doesn't love a bit of Nessum Dorma, but leave GOSBTS alone, FFS.

Wasn't the opera singer one of the things Poyet spat his dummy over?

There's been a couple of times we've had opera singers. One male and one female.

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
i am really looking forward to this. Absolutely love this sort of thing. Thoroughly entertaining and always nice to listen or watch professionals in their field perform. Marvellous.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Right, so the club hit on a winning formula with 'Sussex by the Sea', albeit accidentally, and they want to kill the atmosphere by having sodding tenors doing it. By all means, do anything else - who doesn't love a bit of Nessum Dorma, but leave GOSBTS alone, FFS.

Winning formula? They've gone in the right direction, but people still aren't singing it properly. The best way to get people sing is to sing along. Our lot can't do it alone, as has been proved.

We've had Donna Marie Hughes in twice - and both times it was superb, and created a better atmosphere, not ruined it. Being sung by tenors would be better still.

Wasn't the opera singer one of the things Poyet spat his dummy over?

Nope.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sussex by the sea was better with a faulty PA. Opera and football don't really mix IMO unless sung by Katherine Jenkins of course.....

The same Katherine Jenkins who sales of records have forced her company to drop her. Think it would be better with the singer who is going to take over her mantle Lucy Kay. Also very good on the eye.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Love the opera singers. More of this please.

Thanks to the club for organising it.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

I might have got the wrong end of the stick here, but aren't they performing earlier on in the evening? I didn't realise they were going to be doing their thing as the teams came out. Slightly less in favour of that, I must admit, as I think we're all just starting to grasp the GOSBTS thing.

But on the whole, I can't see why the opera singers is a bad idea. Are they some kind of X-Factor or Britain's Got Talent group (I genuinely have never heard of them before now)? Better them than some cruddy boy band, I say.

SAC

May 21, 2014
How about during a match there could be a string quartet wafting Hayden's er 15th in C Major whilst everyone sits in silence listening?

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
"Wonderful bass section but they've got no tenor, see."

Piece of Rourke's Drift trivia for you. The Colour Sergeant Frank Bourne, portrayed by Nigel Green in the film Zulu, was a Sussex lad, born in Balcombe. He was awarded the DCM for "outstanding coolness and courage".

"Outstanding Coolness". Only a Sussex lad would get a medal for that sort of thing. And incidentally, the actor Nigel Green died in Brighton.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
And incidentally, the actor Nigel Green died in Brighton.

"Now, listen to me, Palmer..."

a6a58658d03362.JPG

Mattywerewolf

Mar 7, 2012
Saff of the River
The same Katherine Jenkins who sales of records have forced her company to drop her. Think it would be better with the singer who is going to take over her mantle Lucy Kay. Also very good on the eye.

Anyone suggested they do a duet? I'd do without the extra pint to watch that! Might even bring the binoculars.....

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
"Wonderful bass section but they've got no tenor, see."

Piece of Rourke's Drift trivia for you. The Colour Sergeant Frank Bourne, portrayed by Nigel Green in the film Zulu, was a Sussex lad, born in Balcombe. He was awarded the DCM for "outstanding coolness and courage".

"Outstanding Coolness". Only a Sussex lad would get a medal for that sort of thing. And incidentally, the actor Nigel Green died in Brighton.

Just found this if you have not seen it http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/defenders/tran.htm

RupertsFlan

Nov 28, 2012
Wasn't Nigel Green in Khartoum as well - with Charlton Heston - i think he played a minor role in the film - but a major character from history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports