Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pre-match opera? Great idea. Said no one ever.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
We should be welcoming our Welsh cousins properly with Charlie Church.

Bang tidy :love:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Only if she returned to singing classical not the pop rubbish she did. I think her version of Pia Jeu is the best available. I also liked her version of Annis Angelicus.

Charlotte Church is a singer, well I never.

You learn something new every day :lol:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
I've no great feelings either way on opera singing pre-game but the girl we've had twice was great.

What I don't get is in well over 40 years following BHAFC I have never been to an away game where GOSBTS has been sung / played. So why then are we having Welsh songs at the Amex before a game against Cardiff?

Far be it from me to suggest that that nice Mr Barber:-

a) Doesn't understand football

b) Doesn't understand BHAFC

c) Doesn't understand football fans

It's a HOME GAME FFS!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
This is the only midweek that I can't make....would have loved to see Nessun Dorma...always sends a shiver down my spine.

I thought he was the striker Watford had as a season long loan from Udinese :facepalm:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Why Nessun Dorma every time? Can't they sing something else for us, just for a change? The only error Donna made, in my opinion, was not changing her set list from the first appearance to the second. I enjoyed it more first time because of that, it was just the same performance a second time around before the Palace match (of which we don't speak).

Looking forward to the gents tonight, I wasn't planning on getting there too early but that's changed now. Cheers Uncle Barber!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I've no great feelings either way on opera singing pre-game but the girl we've had twice was great.

What I don't get is in well over 40 years following BHAFC I have never been to an away game where GOSBTS has been sung / played. So why then are we having Welsh songs at the Amex before a game against Cardiff?

It's a HOME GAME FFS!

We've always made away fans feel welcome at the Amex, well before Barber was involved. Besides, it's become a welcome trend at many grounds - not just at the Amex - that the away fans are well treated. About time.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales

It's a HOME GAME FFS!
To be fair to Cardiff, they quite often put a special medley of songs for our visits.....Dancing Queen, YMCA, Gay Bar etc

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Only if she returned to singing classical not the pop rubbish she did. I think her version of Pia Jeu is the best available. I also liked her version of Annis Angelicus.

You're joking aren't you? She's an opera tart like Katherine Jenkins, an average singer marketed to appeal to a mainstream audience. Which is fine. But nothing she ever did was or ever will be the "best" version of anything. There are hundreds more talented trained singers in SUSSEX, let alone the world, let alone the annals of recorded opera history and every performance of every production of every opera ever written or recorded. There are better session singers you can hire by the studio hour for under £100. Sorry to be uppity about this, but people commenting on "liking opera" because they saw Il Divo on the telly is one of my pet hates.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
They've just sung Men of Harlech and Good Old Sussex by the Sea in front of about 3000 people. It sounded absolutely superb and got a fantastic round of applause from those lucky enough to see and hear it. It's a shame they didn't have the words up on the screen.
For those knocking the idea, I feel your misgivings were misplaced. Brilliant stuff.

Jan 30, 2008
Brighton & Hove Albion fans are encouraged to arrive early at tomorrow’s game against Cardiff City, as renowned group Tenors Un Limited will be performing on the Amex Stadium pitch.

The trio have taken time out of their busy UK tour to sing, from approximately 7.15pm, favourites that will include Nessun Dorma, Men of Harlech – for our visitors from South Wales – and, as the teams emerge, Sussex by the Sea.

Tenor Scott Ciscon told seagulls.co.uk, “There will be something for both Albion and Cardiff fans, and we’re really looking forward to performing in front of such a big crowd.

He added, “We played before the 2011 FA Cup Final at Wembley, which was an amazing afternoon, but this will be another big sporting occasion that we’re really looking forward to.

“I’m looking forward to singing Sussex by the Sea and watching the game afterwards as, having moved to Hove recently, I’ve kept an eye on the club’s results.

“My son loves football and cricket, so I’m sure we’ll be taking in a few games at both the Amex and Hove from now on.”

Tenors Un Limited bring their 2014 UK tour ‘Show the Suit Who’s Boss!’ to the Theatre Royal, Brighton, on Thursday 9th October at 7.30pm. For tickets see www.atgtickets.com/brighton or page 14 of tomorrow night’s programme. Quote promo code 'Pitch Perfect' and receive £5 off per ticket. Also visit www.tenorsunlimited.com.
cringing reading this
regards
DR

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
They showed the pictures of the Three Tenors on the pitch singing on the TV screens on the concourse.
But wouldn't it have been possible to put the sound on.
Unless everyone on the concourse leaves their beer and takes their seat, then we will never know how good they sounded.
I didnt hear any of it.

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
They were actually very good and I thought I was wrong in my misgivings, as they came on about 7.20 and were done. I thought the club had learnt from the previous occasions.

Sadly this was short lived as they had one/all of them doing the 'run out' GOSBTS and as i feared, it was bollocks and killed people trying to sing along and thus, the atmosphere.

Had it, lost it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here