Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet tonight.....5 at the back with 2 holding.....

Seagull by the Sea

May 22, 2013
As soon as they set that up it was obvious that was going to go straight over little Liam's head and in the top corner

This

And considering how much I liked him, I found myself laughing at him when he threw his arms around like a spoilt child as the goal registered....you made your decision Liam, deal with it!

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
That's the point...Liverpool score goals for fun, but there defence is a bit iffy. So no, you don't set up to defend. You try and take the game to them and hopefully ride your luck at the back. Your expected to lose anyway, so go there and have a go.....That's my way of thinking anyway, so it's easy to see why I get so pissed off with our negative tactics.

That's all well and good, but the difference between the S'land attack and Liverpool defence is not as big as the difference between the Liverpool attack and S'land defence. If Sunderland set up to attack and let the game be open they'll get torn to shreds. At least if they keep it tight and can't get anything on the break they may keep the scoreline down which could be the difference between staying up or going down.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
You took the words right out of my mouth.

English managers are so successful, aren't they? Let's get 'arry in!

I prefer the term British...You don't really want me to churn out a list of British manager who have won numerous promotions out of this league do you???...or the likes of Rodgers, Bruce, Big Sam, Pardew, Hughes who are all doing crap atm.....not to mention that crap old dinosaur up the road, who took Stoke up two divisions and keep them in the prem for god knows how many years, but he is shite as well I suppose...If Pullis keeps Palace up, he should win manager of the year...That Ferguson chap wasn't to shabby either....Yep British managers really are shite. Tippy tappy, boring, negative football is the way forward!!!!!!

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
That's the point...Liverpool score goals for fun, but there defence is a bit iffy. So no, you don't set up to defend. You try and take the game to them and hopefully ride your luck at the back. Your expected to lose anyway, so go there and have a go.....That's my way of thinking anyway, so it's easy to see why I get so pissed off with our negative tactics.

I think this is probably why you're not a football manager, Kev. All the kevtherevs on the messageboard of the team you managed would hound you out after three games when you were 4-0 down at half time in all of them.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
That's all well and good, but the difference between the S'land attack and Liverpool defence is not as big as the difference between the Liverpool attack and S'land defence. If Sunderland set up to attack and let the game be open they'll get torn to shreds. At least if they keep it tight and can't get anything on the break they may keep the scoreline down which could be the difference between staying up or going down.

I do see where your coming from, but it's that mentality that is killing games as a spectacle.. It seems more important not to lose these day's than it does to try and win. And that's down to one thing,,,,MONEY!!!....Said for years the game is eating itself and it's the fans that suffer.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Nothing like fighting fire with fire eh???....They will get canned tonight and that formation is just inviting it. So typical of everything that's wrong with the foreign mentality. They might as well of not turned up, no intention of winning the game at all.

Do you remember in 1989 when Palace went to Anfield and 'British manager' Steve Coppell decided the best option when playing the best team in Europe away from home was to attack....?

Do you remember what the final score was?

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I think this is probably why you're not a football manager, Kev. All the kevtherevs on the messageboard of the team you managed would hound you out after three games when you were 4-0 down at half time in all of them.

So to clarify, you don't think we have the quality players to take the game to others with an attacking 4-4-2, with maybe being a little more open at the back but a lot more attacking going forward???.....Because I do.....But the only time we look to be more offensive is when we go 1-0 down and have to chase the game. Then we actually look a bit of a threat.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Do you remember in 1989 when Palace went to Anfield and 'British manager' Steve Coppell decided the best option when playing the best team in Europe away from home was to attack....?

Do you remember what the final score was?

If you have to go back 25 years to put up an argument, I think you have lost it.

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
If you have to go back 25 years to put up an argument, I think you have lost it.

You're the one who has clearly 'lost it'.

And didn't we decide to 'have a go' at Anfield in the FA Cup a couple of years ago under 'non-British manager' Gus Poyet, and also duly got hammered.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London

But then you lose 5-0 and your goal difference gets hammered. When you are at the bottom of the league losing 1-0 or 2-0 might be important at the end of the season.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I do see where your coming from, but it's that mentality that is killing games as a spectacle.. It seems more important not to lose these day's than it does to try and win. And that's down to one thing,,,,MONEY!!!....Said for years the game is eating itself and it's the fans that suffer.

Have you not watched this weekend's football? 40 odd goals in the premier league this weekend, you are chatting rubbish my friend and you know it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Hateful Chelski fans may disagree, but so far tonight this is a victory for football.
Before the game, 5live and Talksport were talking both Sunderland and (chatterbox in interviews given) Poyet, up, saying this was possibly Liverpool's most difficult game of the season, as Poyet would have spent days coaching his 10 man defence, who would deny Liverpool any space in attack and park the bus.

Sure enough, Poyet did exactly that and the result is that christ, Sunderland are so boring. At least Cardiff, Swansea, dare I say Palace, Norwich ... are all giving it a go in most games. Should Sunderland get relegated, Poyet would surely have to take some of the blame.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Last season we won 3 games 3-0, one game 4-1, a 5-1 and a 6-1. Quite attacking don't you think? That's not counting the other wins where we only got one or two goals.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here