Poyet REJECTS offer to quit the Albion

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Is it rubbish simply because you don't agree?

No, I called it emotive rubbish because its not accurate, and it's designed to get people to react emotionally because they would be defensive of our club, rather than dealing with actual facts of events.

Last edited:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Poyet desperately wants to be a Premier League manager. Sadly for us, Holloway wanted to be a Premier League manager (again) more than Poyet did on the night when he had the chance to show us how badly he wanted it.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How can you call a fact emotive? There are online dictionaries to help you understand the words you type. Might be worth you trying one.

I didn't see facts. I saw a reinterpretation of events designed to play on people's emotions.

1) he didn't publicly whore himself, he admitted interest in jobs, but I don't recall him once saying he wanted to leave Briton for any job right at that moment.
2) he didn't demand anything in that post match interview, he simply replied to a question about his future that he wanted to make sure his ambitions were still I line with the clubs, and if not he would maybe consider leaving.

Mad as my Mother

May 21, 2013
Dorset
Sorry if this is fixtures, but Dave Whelan made it quite clear that one of the managers he was considering for the Wigan job would have a compo payout to be made to the club he's currently at.
I am assuming he was talking about Poyet then.

If it's the case that the Albion board had offered Poyet a settlement figure, wouldn't that have taken away the need for Whelan to make a payout to the club and thus making him 'free' ?
( Sorry I know what I want to say but don't feel I have explained myself very well, I hope you get the general idea of what I am trying to say )

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
1. PUBLICLY Whored himself to every possible club whilst managing OUR club.
2. Minutes after blowing a play off semi final publicly announcing he has no intention of staying unless we bow to HIS player budget demands despite having a lengthy contract.

Too right.

Don't forget that every time there was a vacancy and Poyet was linked, the silence from him ruling himself out was deafening - he simply wouldn't, whilst other managers were announcing their intentions not to move. Every time.

When Gus joined us there was a comment in the media to the effect that he was surprised he had to start management in League 1, and had expected that at least a Championship side appoint him. An early indication of the problems ahead?

He has done well here - and we can't take that away - but while he thinks we may have hit 'the ceiling', it can equally be said that after 2 attempts at getting promoted from the Championship without success, he has taken us as far as he can.

To be honest though, if we sack him, we won't have to pay the compensation in one chunk, just continue paying his wages until he gets another job on equal or more money. Worst case is an Adkins type situation at Southampton. That being the case, I can only see that we are holding out for the compensation, and 'the offer' was about how much that would have to be.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Upson on loan, Ulloa for £2.5m and a bid of £2.5m on Van Dijk. Hard to imagine many other Championship managers being afforded such luxuries!

8 Million Jordan Rhodes and plenty of other cases. I don't think he's been hard done by but we're middle of the pack spending wise not bottom and very much not top! No doubt we pay lower wages than many, but higher than a few too. Don't think he's achieved middle of the table results though he's done very well. Just been a dick about telling the world how well HE'S done rather than the club/players have done AT TIMES

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
And nowhere near as good as the professional footballers he managed seemed to think he was, other than Vicente?

We've only heard from his favourites in that respect. Bridcutt and Benno. As if any others under contract would speak out with him still effectively at the club.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
And nowhere near as good as the professional footballers he managed seemed to think he was, other than Vicente?

To be fair though, that's probably just because they got on with him. It says little about his ability as a manager imo.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
To be fair though, that's probably just because they got on with him. It says little about his ability as a manager imo.

Being able to get on with players and make them continuously play as an incredibly difficult-to-beat team is not the a much-sought-after managerial ability? As soon as he arrived the players had a newfound faith in themselves, playing above their previously-seen talent-level, and that is something of a desired skill, one i beg for his replacement to have. Whether he was best friends with everybody, i cannot be sure, but there weren't many performances that ever spoke of players not giving their all.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Completely this.

This suspension was absolute bollocks.

If they don't want him at the club for whatever odd reason then they need to pay him off.

It's not Poyet that wanted to go, it's the club that wanted rid of him, and have done for most of the season.

Seriously, you believe that Gus wants to stay!? What do you base this on. It is greed on his part, pure and simple.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
We've only heard from his favourites in that respect. Bridcutt and Benno. As if any others under contract would speak out with him still effectively at the club.

And you currently think they are all going to say they hated their time under his leadership and got to a miraculous fourth place in an uninspired dressing room all of their own accord?
And i thought Bridcutt and Benno were our favourites too.
I reckon there's a couple of players who didn't ever fit into our style and i doubt they enjoyed themselves completely, but that's football isn't it, when egotistical managers - that's every manager in every league by the way - have fallings out with egotistical players thanks to someone not being selected as much as they wanted to be or players not carrying out instructions perfectly and a tete-a-tete or two being had. I don't know the feelings behind the scenes of course, but the play on the pitch didn't speak of discord rumbling through the ranks.
I think also we'll see this summer whether the delusional who tended to think we had a squad of guaranteed league-winners got it right and most of our squad disappear to premier league sides or the newly relegated because they are the highest class players who will never fail. Thus far we've seen world class Bridge go to bloody Reading.

Seagull73

Sienna's Heaven
Jul 26, 2003
Not Lewes
Being able to get on with players and make them continuously play as an incredibly difficult-to-beat team is not the a much-sought-after managerial ability? As soon as he arrived the players had a newfound faith in themselves, playing above their previously-seen talent-level, and that is something of a desired skill, one i beg for his replacement to have. Whether he was best friends with everybody, i cannot be sure, but there weren't many performances that ever spoke of players not giving their all.

Quite. But we shouldn't forget that cold hard facts get in the way of a good NSC binfest.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Except the most important one of all.....

I don't remember them not trying in that encounter. He mayn't have been able to delete nervousness in the team that night, and that is something that's an undoubted disappointment, but players with the experience of David shouldn't need to be told to not repeatedly miscontrol on such a big occasion, or Bridge to pay full attention in the one moment that then altered the game. To lose to a one-man superstar team in a game of few chances, a couple of which could so easily have gone in and had us in a final if it weren't for the bar and a line-clearance, was not the symbol of a manager suddenly exposed as incurably weak. Twas a tight game. And we lost. And it was a horrid shame. But no one is to be shot for it.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I love Gus's style of play I love the flair and the skill and the way we play football.

I LOATH the way Gus has spat his dummy out time after time about funds the weather someone looking at him funny on the A23.

If we don't have the funds he requires then we are not the club for him if he cant manage on the funds we have to keep us within FFP then he is not the manager for us.

He needs to show some gratitude to the club for the chance they gave him if he cant get it in to his head hes not bigger than the club (that goes for any club he will manage) then he needs to be gone.

If PB/TB capitulated to his ever bigger demands and the club went bankrupt they would be irresponsible in the extreme. How people can back GP over the board is a massive mystery to me.

Likewise! I just don't understand the ongoing Gus love of some. I recognise the great work he DID for our club, but his time here is OVER. HE has made it obvious he wants to leave. HIMSELF, HIM. Why do some fans struggle with this!? Also, it is in EVERYONE's best interests for him to leave, including Gus. No club wants a manager who doesn't want to be at that club. Self-evidently, if a manager flaunts himself to other clubs, then he demonstrates ZERO respect for the one he is currently managing, especially when he CONSTANTLY moans about his budget (the most generous in our club's history BTW). If he sees a ceiling here (incorrectly), then he should leave without a fight. Unfortunately, I think he now realises his personal vision of his worth in the managerial marketplace is somewhat inflated, i.e. unfortunately, no club of significance is interested in his services.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Poyet has achieved winning league 1 and losing in the championship play offs, plenty of managers also have achieved this I have no idea why he thinks he is ready for the PL.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
I didn't see facts. I saw a reinterpretation of events designed to play on people's emotions.

1) he didn't publicly whore himself, he admitted interest in jobs, but I don't recall him once saying he wanted to leave Briton for any job right at that moment.
2) he didn't demand anything in that post match interview, he simply replied to a question about his future that he wanted to make sure his ambitions were still I line with the clubs, and if not he would maybe consider leaving.

I take issue with your point 2. Gus basically said he has to put himself first, above the club. Poor attitude, even worse timing.
Also, your summary in point 1 is an overly-generous interpretation of Gus' frequent public pronouncements, especially of his Leeds love.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports