Poyet "on the verge of quitting Brighton"

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Also, if someone in west brom's position feel they can turn a manager down because he's too outspoken, how many other teams have been put off by his outspoken approach?

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
According to today's argus, Poyet is thought to be too outspoken to appeal to west brom (with hughton and martinez the favourites to replace Hodgson).

So, that's west brom (probably) and wolves off the table. So, just Villa to go from the article (but hughton or martinez go, that will then bring birmingham or wigan to the table).

Gus would not go to Birmingham at this point. They have an owner up in court later in the year, and a transfer embargo until July at least for late filing of accounts.

I also guess that Wigan really won't interest him this summer.

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Also, if someone in west brom's position feel they can turn a manager down because he's too outspoken, how many other teams have been put off by his outspoken approach?

The Anaheim Mighty Ducks? (about as realistic as him going to Aston Villa..or West Brom...or Birmingham when you really think about it)

ducks_logo.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Gus would not go to Birmingham at this point. They have an owner up in court later in the year, and a transfer embargo until July at least for late filing of accounts.

Probably, but that won't stop people speculating (and I was more referring to he speculation rather than whether or not he would leave us for them).

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
What are you on? Did I miss something? Were they awarded additional trophies because they played great football? The won two tournaments which also coincides with the emergence of Iniesta and Xavi who are also both key to Barcelona. If they have players coming through that can play to the same high standard as those two then they may well go on to be as successful as the likes of Germany and Italy have been. Everyone seemed to be doing the same about France at the turn of the century (although not the same style of football) and that they had the production line of Clairefontaine to maintain that. What have they won since?

Sorry, but still find your 'only' comment a bit ridiculous. Only 8 teams have ever won the World Cup. Spain just did that and were already European Champions. No they haven't won as much as Germany but those two trophies on their own make them one of the most successful footballing nations there is. There are very few worthwhile competitions out there to win for national teams, there's no annual league and cups. Those 2 titles make them a nation who can claim to be, at the very least, top 6 in the game's history.

France haven't won anything since. They got to another final though. 2 titles every 4 years to go around all the teams ain't much, so I would still say that 'only' 2 is a funny thing to say. If only England could have won 'only 2' in our history.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003

If it's the other 91 then I'll be happy.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
If i remember Gus chose Brighton as much as Tony appointing him after a year being out of the game-were we the right club for him?

I think we were and if we progress all will be fine.

Nothing in life is cast in stone and if you are looking for guarantee's ahead of time you will only be disappointed.

Gus has everything he wants and needs here at this very early stage of his managerial development,he will want to prove his "style" works,he stayed at clubs during his playing days for quite a long time and i personally take comfort from that-however we all know he could leave tomorrow if a better off came in.

Remember- are any of these clubs "out of this world" enough for Gus to want to uproot from a potential 30,000 gate,playing his way,with an academy styled by his own hands,set in a very handy place in the world for him-future Premier league club.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Sorry, but still find your 'only' comment a bit ridiculous. Only 8 teams have ever won the World Cup. Spain just did that and were already European Champions. No they haven't won as much as Germany but those two trophies on their own make them one of the most successful footballing nations there is. There are very few worthwhile competitions out there to win for national teams, there's no annual league and cups. Those 2 titles make them a nation who can claim to be, at the very least, top 6 in the game's history.

France haven't won anything since. They got to another final though. 2 titles every 4 years to go around all the teams ain't much, so I would still say that 'only' 2 is a funny thing to say. If only England could have won 'only 2' in our history.

You seriously are funny! Either that or incredibly stupid.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
If i remember Gus chose Brighton as much as Tony appointing him after a year being out of the game-were we the right club for him?

I think we were and if we progress all will be fine.

Nothing in life is cast in stone and if you are looking for guarantee's ahead of time you will only be disappointed.

Gus has everything he wants and needs here at this very early stage of his managerial development,he will want to prove his "style" works,he stayed at clubs during his playing days for quite a long time and i personally take comfort from that-however we all know he could leave tomorrow if a better off came in.

Remember- are any of these clubs "out of this world" enough for Gus to want to uproot from a potential 30,000 gate,playing his way,with an academy styled by his own hands,set in a very handy place in the world for him-future Premier league club.

I hear what you are saying about his longevity with clubs but you have to take into account he was at top clubs so not too hard to stay with them. fPersonally, I don't think there is any chance of GP moving from Brighton to a top 6 club regardless of how successful he is with us. If you consider the top six are probably the two Manchester clubs, Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs and Arsenal. Don't think anyone of them would employ a manager without any European experience (as a BHA fan one can only dream).

Hopefully, we will get to the premiership but it will be a long time before we will be established there.

Max Paper

Sunshiinnnnneeee
Nov 3, 2009
Testicles
I would also love it if he turned into a 25+ goal a season striker for us , but at this level and the way we play i can`t see it happening

So you would rather bin our record signing than slightly alter our approach to bring the best out of him? This CMS bashing is really winding me up, it's not the player it's the system/formation, do you really think he is shit? I also include [MENTION=20206]terryberry1[/MENTION]

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So you would rather bin our record signing than slightly alter our approach to bring the best out of him? This CMS bashing is really winding me up, it's not the player it's the system/formation, do you really think he is shit? I also include [MENTION=20206]terryberry1[/MENTION]

Whilst I do agree that CMS has had a raw deal this year and hasn't thrived on the style we play, are you seriously suggesting we tailor the way we play around one player who, whilst good, is not exceptional. What do we do when he gets injured or, your worst nightmare, he leaves, we all change again.

terryberry1

Jul 9, 2011
Patcham
:thumbsup:

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Don't think anyone of them would employ a manager without any European experience (as a BHA fan one can only dream).

what are you on about? He's won League 1 and came 10th in the Championship. There can't be many better CVs out there..........Fergie perhaps?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Don't think anyone of them would employ a manager without any European experience (as a BHA fan one can only dream).

To be fair, Brighton did play in a pre-season tour of Portugal last season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports