Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet "on the verge of quitting Brighton"

Jan 12, 2012
Much more likely Lambert will get the Villa job, and we all know where Norwich recruit their staff from :facepalm: :ffsparr:
Good shout about Norwich, I'm sure Gus might be interested in them. Good young squad, knows some of the players, and in the premiership. If he was to move up, he would be wise to go to a smaller club than a big one.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Neil Ashton is a well respected football journalist, with plenty of contacts in football, so dont dismiss him just because he's a Palace fan. If the Villa job becomes available and they approached him, I'm sure he'll be interested.

Exactly. IF the Villa job becomes available and IF they approach Tony for Gus' services then he MAY be interested. A bit different to 'Poyet on verge of quitting' isn't it?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I really don't see any reason for Poyet to seek to realise his Premier League dream job anywhere other than with the Albion. He'll never find a more supportive chairman at any point in his future career. He's been given a genuinely blank sheet, a once in a lifetime crack at a genuine 'project' to shape an entire club in his image. IMHO he discards the Albion job lightly at his professional peril.

Jan 12, 2012
I really don't see any reason for Poyet to seek to realise his Premier League dream job anywhere other than with the Albion. He'll never find a more supportive chairman at any point in his future career. He's been given a genuinely blank sheet, a once in a lifetime crack at a genuine 'project' to shape an entire club in his image. IMHO he discards the Albion job lightly at his professional peril.
But your seeing it from a fans perspective,as I would. But to managers and players,it's just a job. If he was offered double or treble his salary, he'd be foolish not to listen, we would all do the same.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
But your seeing it from a fans perspective,as I would. But to managers and players,it's just a job. If he was offered double or treble his salary, he'd be foolish not to listen, we would all do the same.

For sure. But IMHO his temperament is pretty flakey, and he'd be unlikely to last the course under any kind of sustained pressure. Very hard to envisage him coping, for example, with the kind of grief Steve Kean has been getting. We've only seen Poyet on an upward trajectory as a manager. Hope not to see it, obviously, but he'll be judged as much on how he handles a downturn. And the indications so far are not that great.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
To be honest, if the only way you can eradicate the boredom of the summer is by watching the Albion play against FC Smegma of Belgium, given that the Olympics are in London this year, and there is a feast of other sport on too, and a beautiful city in which you live, then you need your bumps felt.

Olympics my arse. What's the point of running around if your not kicking a ball in the process?

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
Olympics my arse. What's the point of running around if your not kicking a ball in the process?

Well not everyone has Vicente-like ball control and besides, I like races like the 100, 200 and 400 metres, it takes less than a minute to watch!

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Good shout about Norwich, I'm sure Gus might be interested in them. Good young squad, knows some of the players, and in the premiership. If he was to move up, he would be wise to go to a smaller club than a big one.

Well it's all a bit tenuous really. There's not even a vacancy at Villa at present, and if one happens then there will be many experienced names in the hat for it. Best not to get too stressed about managerial appointment chains.

beardy gull

Jul 18, 2003
Portslade
Paul Lambert off to Villa......perhaps?

Brian Owen ‏ [MENTION=13191]Brian[/MENTION]__Owen
Apparently Villa fans are singing the name of Paul Lambert at Norwich. Top level talks at Villa due this week apparently. #bhafc

AMEXican Wave

AMEX Ruffian
Sep 21, 2010
Paul Lambert off to Villa......perhaps?

Brian Owen ‏ [MENTION=13191]Brian[/MENTION]__Owen
Apparently Villa fans are singing the name of Paul Lambert at Norwich. Top level talks at Villa due this week apparently. #bhafc

Seriously hope not.

Lindfield by the Pond

Jan 10, 2009
Lindfield (near the pond)

Not sure Poyet would. He has made his name in football, and a fair few quid to bank. He has an ego, and I think will pick his next club with care. I don't think it will be money, it will be about what he thinks he can do with the club concerned, and more a about whether the club/chairman has money and football ambition. The Albion will be in with a shout if he can get us to the Premiership. If he can he'll stay with us a bit longer, but if he does a Brendan Rogers he'll be off after a season.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, just utter, utter bollox... Wolves wanted him so much, they appointed someone else... kinda invalidates the whole 'article' don't you think?

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Norwich... I know they are Premier League, and definately bigger than us at present..

However i noted with interest that there crowd yesterday was 26k, I know thats pretty good. But honestly is it going to be any bigger than us soon ?

They need a new ground to progress much further....

If he can wait another year or so maybe, GUS will be better off staying with us.

Aston Villa however is another story, if Gus gets offered that, he is off.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton

True in a sense but can't we presume he has enough money? Sure, we see it from a fans perspective and if a middling-prestigious Premier team (you know the sort) came for him I'd go 50/50. We just don't know. But that said, Tom Hark's point is insightful and it represents an honest-to-goodness reality. When does any manager get to be part of Stadium/Acadamy/Complete Club Renovation with a supportive chairman? A partnership which has so far seen us exceed expectation every season he has finished with us?

It is a dynamic between something different, maybe special, where he can emerge smelling of absolute f***ing roses, or he can go to a job with a different kind of promise, where he will maybe wield less influence - but will short-cut to a more visible position in the footballing world at large. Which way does he see as the best mode and model to meet his ambition, to improve / prove his reputation. This is what it's all about.

We have some fairly special reasons for optimism. But that said, yes we don't know and we will still shit it when palace fans give salacious headlines to already known f***ing gossipy f***ing tat in an absolute rag of a paper. All this about 'wot u lot sayin he is a press awrds winna lol'... that may be true but he has 'abused' his position as a decent journalist to have a poke at us! So it is our right to call him a twat and question his professionalism! Because he has called question to his professionalism with that headline! Because it is wantonly provocative. Because he is a disreputable sophist palace spaz like all the rest.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here