Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter- what’s he up to?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Thats a passive aggressive last line

You can acknowledge someone whilst accepting their faults. Its also possible to quote a stat and then ignore other evidence (like the 2 months it took after that watford game to get another win, or the painful 1-1 draw against them later that season?)

I think for some they just accept that while Potter was a very capable manager, given a lot of breathing space by Bloom and benefited from a strong level of recruitment. As indeed was Hughton (2 hugely exciting seasons in the championship and keeping us up for 2 seasons in the prem), Poyet (promotion, staying up and close to promotion) Garcia (close to promotion with a weaker squad) and now RDZ. But what will always count against Potter in my mind was his failure to build rapport until the very end, some very touchy comments, and long periods of banality (no goals, no wins etc).

In short he wasnt the messiah and eventually became one in a long line of very naughty boys.
Spot on. All the right men at the right times. Bloom’s managerial appointments have been superb. To only get one wrong out of 6 is an amazing record.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I see you’ve come here to tell us you’re ITK at the palace but can’t say what

The 'look at me I know something' part completely passed me by. Maybe I'm just used to ignoring empty claims on here, or maybe the same claims have proven to be false in the past.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I can't seem Potter going to Palace. Given the amount of grief his family got when he left for Chelsea, I think he'd be worried about them continuing to live in the city and there being a reaction if he took the Palace job. The fact that he's said he wants a "big" job, and he could go to a whole host of top level teams, it seems like he'd voluntarily be making his life harder by going there.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
I can't seem Potter going to Palace. Given the amount of grief his family got when he left for Chelsea, I think he'd be worried about them continuing to live in the city and there being a reaction if he took the Palace job. The fact that he's said he wants a "big" job, and he could go to a whole host of top level teams, it seems like he'd voluntarily be making his life harder by going there.
But that versus uprooting his family and changing his kids' schools etc. I think he'd take it. He could always move north a bit to Hurst or somewhere and keep the kids in school here.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
But that versus uprooting his family and changing his kids' schools etc. I think he'd take it. He could always move north a bit to Hurst or somewhere and keep the kids in school here.
That's a fair point. But he could have taken southern based jobs before now, but he's said he wants a big job. It kind of suggests he would consider moving or taking a job in other parts of the country/world. Who knows. I'm not convinced he'd take it, but maybe that's just wishful thinking.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Don’t be silly, we’re not at war with Palace. Plenty of people have played for and managed both clubs like every football rivalry in this country. It wouldn’t even be a consideration.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Don’t be silly, we’re not at war with Palace. Plenty of people have played for and managed both clubs like every football rivalry in this country. It wouldn’t even be a consideration.
I would think the divided ownership would be more of a consideration than the rivalry. The directors do not all seem to be on the same page with differing thoughts on the future and differing levels of commitment. Also the need to upgrade the toilet bowl that is currently their home will also syphon off investment required on the pitch. I just do not think Potter would see this as a desirable job.

Braggfan

May 12, 2014
Plenty of people have played/managed both., but few people in our club's history have been on the receiving end of the level of abuse he and his family received. So of course it would be a consideration. He may well go to Palace, but I'm sure he would mindful and consider whether joining our bitter rivals might be picking at old wounds.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
Plenty of people have played/managed both., but few people in our club's history have been on the receiving end of the level of abuse he and his family received. So of course it would be a consideration. He may well go to Palace, but I'm sure he would mindful and consider whether joining our bitter rivals might be picking at old wounds.
I agree.

I think the Chelsea move was too good to turn down and failure at Chelsea was deemed to be mid table and still in the UCL QF.

I’m not sure Potter would be employable in England if failure happened at palace. The jeopardy is high and if Palace were to go down it would be terrible for his career. I guess the only move after that would be on the continent somewhere.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s not stuck for cash and I do appreciate the importance of not being out the game too long but going to Palace now would be such a bad move.

It’s not a “big club”, relegation is possible, the abuse would be ridiculous and he doesn’t need the money.

Wait for WHU or Man United, Graham. Palace isn’t the one. It’s not worth it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Not really. Potter came in and changed the way we set the team up to play altogether - and like Hughton before him, he worked with the players he was given.
Actually Ashworth was brought in to look at the football side top to bottom and was given direction as to what the board wanted to see. I would suggest the style of play, players and therefore the type of coach needed were all led by Ashworth. Potter was brought in to do a job. He didnt define the job

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I agree.

I think the Chelsea move was too good to turn down and failure at Chelsea was deemed to be mid table and still in the UCL QF.

I’m not sure Potter would be employable in England if failure happened at palace. The jeopardy is high and if Palace were to go down it would be terrible for his career. I guess the only move after that would be on the continent somewhere.

Don’t get me wrong, he’s not stuck for cash and I do appreciate the importance of not being out the game too long but going to Palace now would be such a bad move.

It’s not a “big club”, relegation is possible, the abuse would be ridiculous and he doesn’t need the money.

Wait for WHU or Man United, Graham. Palace isn’t the one. It’s not worth it.
What? We want him at Palace before our game in a couple of weeks, It would spice things up nicely.
The concern you have for his career is touching though 🤣

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here