Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter watch

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Is it fair to say that he’s a past his best dinosaur? Would you want him here over Potter? Can’t see him taking Everton where they want to be personally. His Newcastle team were no more attractive to watch than Bruce’s Newcastle.

Probably getting near to his last job. Decent manager, and very pragmatic. He actually seemed to have 'got' Liverpool, so Everton's a strange one - they've always considered themselves a sort of academy of science, playing 'good' football. He'll do OK - he knows what he's doing, but I can't see it ever being a great love-in between manager and fans.

Still, a job's a job. and the poor old bloke needs to make sure he can afford to be a pensioner - I don't suppose any of his employers have set him up with a final earnings pension scheme! Life could get tough for him ........................!

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Probably getting near to his last job. Decent manager, and very pragmatic. He actually seemed to have 'got' Liverpool, so Everton's a strange one - they've always considered themselves a sort of academy of science, playing 'good' football. He'll do OK - he knows what he's doing, but I can't see it ever being a great love-in between manager and fans.

Still, a job's a job. and the poor old bloke needs to make sure he can afford to be a pensioner - I don't suppose any of his employers have set him up with a final earnings pension scheme! Life could get tough for him ........................!

Pragmatic sums him up, who apart from the relegation strugglers wants a manager like that?

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
These two muppets certainly haven't held back voicing their dislike of Benitez's impending appointment to manage Everton.

[tweet]1405262832447410177[/tweet]

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Good luck to him. First manager to manage both surely.

This.

Manager with previous connections to a rival? Could never happen at Brighton.

Coppell, Mullery, Hinshelwood, Taylor anyone? ???

Aug 13, 2020
Darlington
Is it fair to say that he’s a past his best dinosaur? Would you want him here over Potter? Can’t see him taking Everton where they want to be personally. His Newcastle team were no more attractive to watch than Bruce’s Newcastle.

If nothing else, he was right when he apparently told Ashley that buying Joelinton for £40m+ was a terrible idea.

I seem to remember there was a golden 5 minutes when he got Rodon, Perez and Almiron in the team at the same time when they were genuinely good. I'm not going to claim to have been paying particularly close attention though, so that might not be borne out by actual facts.

I think he "gets" those clubs with a tendency towards a manager messiah complex (e.g. Liverpool and Newcastle, or Man U and Leeds). On the other hand Hodgson in his brief time at Liverpool never seemed to gel, for whatever reason some managers just don't fit in at certain places.

Last edited:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Have to say Everton hiring Benitez is a ludicrous decision.

Happy to hold my hands up if they’re proven right, but you would bet money he won’t be here the season after next.

I’d love to know if Everton did make an approach for Potter. It’s very interesting how those Potter links died quickly, I wonder if they were shot down.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
These two muppets certainly haven't held back voicing their dislike of Benitez's impending appointment to manage Everton.

[tweet]1405262832447410177[/tweet]

I don't like that pair, but in fairness to Andy Gray, who suports Everton, I can understand why he doesn't like it.

I think it's an absolutely bizarre appointment. You have to acknowledge that most Everton fans can't stand him, and that this will alienate a lot of them.

From Benitez's point of view he's starting at a disadvantage, as he will have to get off to a good start or fans will turn on him quickly, and he will absolutely have to win something or he'll never win the fans over.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Knew Rafa was going to end up somewhere. Didnt think it would be Everton.

I don't like that pair, but in fairness to Andy Gray, who suports Everton, I can understand why he doesn't like it.

I think it's an absolutely bizarre appointment. You have to acknowledge that most Everton fans can't stand him, and that this will alienate a lot of them.

From Benitez's point of view he's starting at a disadvantage, as he will have to get off to a good start or fans will turn on him quickly, and he will absolutely have to win something or he'll never win the fans over.

From what I've seen in Everton threads suggesting Benitez and Gerrard (yes, actually) most Everton fans seem to think that there is a world where they could somehow accept the former.

In the end, its like Redknapp said:
"You think the fans wouldn’t love him there? If you go in there and start winning, they would have taken Saddam Hussein in there when he was about, the fans don’t give a monkey's! If you start winning every week, they’re singing ‘there’s only one Saddam’.”

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Old Hairy palms? I thought he was put out to pasture years ago?

Had to scarper after that ‘incident’ - would never have worked on UK TV again. Both now vomiting up their tedious bile on TV in the Middle East for Al Jazeera (Bein Sports). Glad they’ve ****ed off, but they’ll be enjoying a big tax-free wedge and a life of expat luxury in Doha.

Interesting few calls on the radio last night that contradicts what Gray was saying there too…..may not be representative but a few Liverpool and Everton fans suggesting neither side will be vehemently against him. He’s apparently got a lot of credit in the bank on Merseyside generally after being involved in Hillsborough stuff and other community work.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Knew Rafa was going to end up somewhere. Didnt think it would be Everton.

From what I've seen in Everton threads suggesting Benitez and Gerrard (yes, actually) most Everton fans seem to think that there is a world where they could somehow accept the former.

In the end, its like Redknapp said:
"You think the fans wouldn’t love him there? If you go in there and start winning, they would have taken Saddam Hussein in there when he was about, the fans don’t give a monkey's! If you start winning every week, they’re singing ‘there’s only one Saddam’.”

All the Everton fans I know hate him. I think when he was Liverpool manager he antagonised a lot them. I remember Everton got to wembley at one point and the fans had a particulary offensive banner they had to take down. Accusing him of doing things with kids (I wonder if they still have that?).

I'm sure there will be a lot of fans willing to give him a chance, but there will definitely be a signifcant enough element who won't. As a board, chairman or owner, why would you invite that situation? There are other options out there, and its not like he's Guardiola. It just seems odd to opt for a choice that will antagonise part of your fan base. And actually, what I'd be more concerned about is that its a decision that shows you either don't undertsand the fans, don't care about them or both.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Had to scarper after that ‘incident’ - would never have worked on UK TV again. Both now vomiting up their tedious bile on TV in the Middle East for Al Jazeera (Bein Sports). Glad they’ve ****ed off, but they’ll be enjoying a big tax-free wedge and a life of expat luxury in Doha.

Interesting few calls on the radio last night that contradicts what Gray was saying there too…..may not be representative but a few Liverpool and Everton fans suggesting neither side will be vehemently against him. He’s apparently got a lot of credit in the bank on Merseyside generally after being involved in Hillsborough stuff and other community work.

Benitez is alright by me. But Grey & Keys . . . . well, the UAE was made for them really. As long as they never come back.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
All the Everton fans I know hate him. I think when he was Liverpool manager he antagonised a lot them. I remember Everton got to wembley at one point and the fans had a particulary offensive banner they had to take down. Accusing him of doing things with kids (I wonder if they still have that?).

I'm sure there will be a lot of fans willing to give him a chance, but there will definitely be a signifcant enough element who won't. As a board, chairman or owner, why would you invite that situation? There are other options out there, and its not like he's Guardiola. It just seems odd to opt for a choice that will antagonise part of your fan base. And actually, what I'd be more concerned about is that its a decision that shows you either don't undertsand the fans, don't care about them or both.

There are other options but just like with Ancelotti, Benitez is probably one of the most merited managers they can get. He gets results everywhere, which is what they want. They (their owners and other people in charge) dont care about anything else (like playing style or personality or club background). In that sense I'm not sure there's any better options available. They dont want to "take a chance", they want their £500m investments in the last four years to result in something. Surely not a popular choice if you ask the fans but they wont ask the fans. And if they finally get into that top 6, I think most fans will forgive everything of the past.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here