Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter watch

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
So... Benitez or Nuno for Everton and then Cooper or Howe for Crystal Palace and then the manager carousel will be over for this time and worried souls out there could put the "Potter watch" to sleep for another year or so.

Until the next PL manager is sacked of course.

So around December / January, chairman with twitchy fingers may start all this again.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Good article, except saying the Pickford as a better keeper then Sanchez. I know that I’d prefer big Bob.
Also they claim out results didn't pick up after we changed goalkeeper - but didn't we finish around 10th. over the second half of the season? Big Bob over Sanchez for me too - would make that reporter look pretty silly of Sanchez finishes the Euros playing for Spain and Pickford is dropped by England!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The first thing you will read is that he's been given permission to talk to another club. Then maybe after that, he may decide to go or to stay. Managers don't suddenly disappear overnight, and the mods on here are fairly quick to amend thread titles, so stop panicking. :smile:

Ancelotti disappeared from Everton fast enough!

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Ancelotti disappeared from Everton fast enough!

Apparently he had a release clause in his contract for certain clubs!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Yep, and I'm not convinced Bloom is quite as confident in Potter as Barber is. That story in the Mail about him wanting a end of season inquest and improvement next season came from their chief sport writer, not just any old hack, and to be honest i fully believe it. There's a lot to be encouraged about but there's no excuse for another relegation battle next year. To become an established top 10 club you can't be spending your life worrying about the side in 18th.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Doesn't pretty much every chairman want that? :shrug:

And if Bloom wasn't as confident in Potter as Barber, why would he sanction a new contract for GP? Are you suggesting Barber went rogue and did it off his own back?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The first thing you will read is that he's been given permission to talk to another club. Then maybe after that, he may decide to go or to stay. Managers don't suddenly disappear overnight, and the mods on here are fairly quick to amend thread titles, so stop panicking. :smile:

But I though we had loads of posters ITK? ???

:lolol: :thumbsup:

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
No way Potter would be sacked if we were 20th at Christmas. You only have to look at Hughton to see Bloom waited until the end of the season.

Anyway this is irrelevant as unless completely untenable, I believe the club would back GP even if we were to go down.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Yeah, my post was tongue in cheek but I don't doubt if we were 20th come Christmas that Potter would be out.

Assuming GPott is 'backed' this window (namely an expensive striker) 20th at Christmas he'd be gone.

Two and a half years into a project and in the worst position for four and a half years his position would be untenable.

Thankfully my flabber would be truly agast if that were to happen.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No way Potter would be sacked if we were 20th at Christmas. You only have to look at Hughton to see Bloom waited until the end of the season.

Anyway this is irrelevant as unless completely untenable, I believe the club would back GP even if we were to go down.

If it happened next season I’m not convinced. If we’d gone down this season I agree

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

I must have missed the part where Hughton had us 20th, let alone in the bottom 3 at Christmas.

I think the club would back GP if we go down, had we given a good account of ourselves. If we were bottom at Christmas with no sign of improvement, I suspect he'd be replaced.

Likely a moot point anyway as this is all hypotheticals.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I must have missed the part where Hughton had us 20th, let alone in the bottom 3 at Christmas.

I think the club would back GP if we go down, had we given a good account of ourselves. If we were bottom at Christmas with no sign of improvement, I suspect he'd be replaced.

Likely a moot point anyway as this is all hypotheticals.

And there's the rub. Bloom has previously said that we would retain Potter had we got relegated because he can see the style of play is going in the direction we want and that we are giving a good account of ourselves. That wasn't the case with Hughton as most of our play was an embarrassment in that second season.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Bringing the White transfer 'news' over here, obviously this is how we lose GPott.

Assuming the Albion remain in the EPL, not something I doubt but clearly someone does.
If the club are accepting £40m+ bids and turning down £50m+ bids on players there isn't a chairman in the league who wouldn't happily take that and turn a blind eye to 2 points from all the teams that can't string 2 passes together.

And they'd pay big time to get that production line going.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Bringing the White transfer 'news' over here, obviously this is how we lose GPott.

Assuming the Albion remain in the EPL, not something I doubt but clearly someone does.
If the club are accepting £40m+ bids and turning down £50m+ bids on players there isn't a chairman in the league who wouldn't happily take that and turn a blind eye to 2 points from all the teams that can't string 2 passes together.

And they'd pay big time to get that production line going.

The production line is the academy which takes years to see fruit and not an easy thing to install if you don’t have it anyway. Also at bigger clubs there is more pressure which is why it is much harder to blood youngsters so not just a case of repeating what has been achieved at Brighton elsewhere.

If we sell players from the production line for £40-£50m, replace them with players from the same line for zero cost and reinvest the money in proven quality in other areas now that is very attractive for Potter or any manager.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The production line is the academy which takes years to see fruit and not an easy thing to install if you don’t have it anyway. Also at bigger clubs there is more pressure which is why it is much harder to blood youngsters so not just a case of repeating what has been achieved at Brighton elsewhere.

If we sell players from the production line for £40-£50m, replace them with players from the same line for zero cost and reinvest the money in proven quality in other areas now that is very attractive for Potter or any manager.

Plenty of clubs got great academies and talent scouting but not all of them got managers willing to give these players a chance. In Swansea they had had a category 1 academy for several years when Potter came, but not really used it at all. One year with Potter and about 10 players had established themselves in the first team squad with James, McBurnie and Rodon bringing in £50m to the club as well as saving money on not having to sign a bunch of players to replace the outgoings all the time.

In Östersund they had no real academy but scouted a lot of young players. GP spent about a total of £1m in transfers over there, later selling those players for a total of £10m.

In both cases while having his clubs perform to or above expectations. Little indicates that it will be much different with Brighton. Yes, the club has spent some money but the increase in squad value is a lot more than the spenditure. The £85m or so spent over the last two seasons will likely pay itself back just through sales of Bissouma and White. And if that happens there's still Sanchez, Lamptey, Webster and so on that would turn it into a profit.

Of course this is going to be very tempting for a lot of clubs to get that kind of economical value out of a manager while still keeping its ground or even advancing results wise. Far too many managers are afraid of the mistakes that young players are inevitably going to do and just keep buying players instead but I think more and more owners - even the very rich ones - is getting a bit tired of spending lots of money on what often turns out to be random value. Especially as income in football from TV deals, competitions and commerce looks like its close to have reached some sort of ceiling.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here