Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter was a terrible coach at Swansea too

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
At the tail end of last season I made the prediction if the club didn’t invest in a proven EPL striker who could provide pace, power and goals then whatever happened in the rest of the pitch we would end up in a relegation battle this season. I haven’t changed my mind 1% on that and I know the vast majority of our fans share that opinion.
Welbeck is not the answer due to his fitness but on the few occasions he has been fit he has made a significant positive impact, that is what this team is missing. That player could/should have been Locadia he looked the part but sadly he’s shitehouse. I worry Bloom is burnt by Locadia and also Ali J.

If we won’t invest in the Wilsons or Ings of this world when they become available then we are on rinse/repeat of this season until we either strike it lucky with an academy striker or we are relegated.

This is why I’m holding back judgement on Potter for now, I think he’s making some small mistakes but he’s so hamstrung by that lack of real quality and threat in the opposition penalty box.

I’ve said the same about a striker for many transfer windows now. Since Muzza in his pomp, we’ve lacked that.

It hamstrings managers.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I’ve said the same about a striker for many transfer windows now. Since Muzza in his pomp, we’ve lacked that.

It hamstrings managers.
Is it all about a striker? Murray wasn’t that prolific for us in the PL 10 or so goals. It was more the defence could defend those 1-0 wins all added up. If we could defend a lead this season we would be very comfortable and that is where Potter fails. West Ham away this season we should of defended our 2-1 lead Veltman and Propper on instead of keep trying to attack bit naive is it not?

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It's funny....I have been a big Ali J fan but his performance against Newport was rancid. And I am now persuaded that his issue is he doesn't do what he's told. That simply won't do.

I really want to see him do well, sometimes to the extent it's almost irrational, and then he disappoints again.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Is it all about a striker? Murray wasn’t that prolific for us in the PL 10 or so goals. It was more the defence could defend those 1-0 wins all added up. If we could defend a lead this season we would be very comfortable and that is where Potter fails. West Ham away this season we should of defended our 2-1 lead Veltman and Propper on instead of keep trying to attack bit naive is it not?

Hughton would have done the same thing in that match.
We haven’t ‘discovered’ a striker since Ulloa, that’s what 6 or so years ago, that’s not good enough. That’s not Potter’s fault.
He is making some mistakes, playing a more consistent core of 7/8 players would help, but the fact is whoever is ‘scouting’ strikers needs to be on a performance improvement plan....

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
We haven’t ‘discovered’ a striker since Ulloa, that’s what 6 or so years ago, that’s not good enough. That’s not Potter’s fault.
He is making some mistakes, playing a more consistent core of 7/8 players would help, but the fact is whoever is ‘scouting’ strikers needs to be on a performance improvement plan....
The recruitment team have found strikers good players in fact, trouble is all the deals collapse, we’ve had Dembele, Dia, Nunez, Gonzales, Ekambi, En-Neyrsi (if I’ve spelt that right) no club is going to part with a goal scorer on the cheap anymore we need to except that.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
The recruitment team have found strikers good players in fact, trouble is all the deals collapse, we’ve had Dembele, Dia, Nunez, Gonzales, Ekambi, En-Neyrsi (if I’ve spelt that right) no club is going to part with a goal scorer on the cheap anymore we need to except that.

Fair points, what is the point though if they are outside the reach of the club? We might as well scout Salah and Messi for all the good it will do.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

It hamstrings managers.

Absolutely this.

It seems so obvious to many of us that we’ve been crying out for a Muzza replacement for years now. In fairness, it’s probably not an easy task.

But if we’d taken even a third of our chances we’d have a lot more points. the whole club is under less pressure, and people wouldn’t be moaning Potter out.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Fair points, what is the point though if they are outside the reach of the club? We might as well scout Salah and Messi for all the good it will do.
Dia was ready to sign in January he was £5m or something then, the player himself said a fee couldn’t be agreed :shrug: now he will be at least double that.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
At the tail end of last season I made the prediction if the club didn’t invest in a proven EPL striker who could provide pace, power and goals then whatever happened in the rest of the pitch we would end up in a relegation battle this season. I haven’t changed my mind 1% on that and I know the vast majority of our fans share that opinion.
Welbeck is not the answer due to his fitness but on the few occasions he has been fit he has made a significant positive impact, that is what this team is missing. That player could/should have been Locadia he looked the part but sadly he’s shitehouse. I worry Bloom is burnt by Locadia and also Ali J.

If we won’t invest in the Wilsons or Ings of this world when they become available then we are on rinse/repeat of this season until we either strike it lucky with an academy striker or we are relegated.

This is why I’m holding back judgement on Potter for now, I think he’s making some small mistakes but he’s so hamstrung by that lack of real quality and threat in the opposition penalty box.

Agreed. The situation is not binary: all Potter's fault, someone else will lead us to higher ground. There have been problems recruiting strikers; we got away with it in Championship because Muzza came back, and AK scored 15 or so. To a degree that continued in PL, with Muzza chipping in with some help, some luck (Cardiff blowing a great chance to stay up), and better defence.

And it is defence that is more of the problem: 28 conceded so far, compared with 23, 24, 25 after 17 games in the three previous seasons. GS is similar to last 2 seasons and 7 ahead of 17/18 at same stage, when we had more points. This is why this thread has hit a nail, notwithstanding its title. Potter isn't terrible but has form in not drilling defence for set pieces. Yet we have excellent CBs, so what gives?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I've said this several times but "the club" (i.e. Tony Bloom) will not pay the going rate for a striker of proven PL quality and we need to accept that as a fact and the consequences that stem from that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Interesting Isn’t it Poyet definitely had an eye for a player or a better contact book being a more prolific player in his day? Would a direct Murray replacement even work with Potters playing style ambitions?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
We might if they let us in the ground, giving your support on here means **** all mate.

There are different ways of support, all of which are important for the club in an unprecedented situation mate!

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Interesting Isn’t it Poyet definitely had an eye for a player or a better contact book being a more prolific player in his day? Would a direct Murray replacement even work with Potters playing style ambitions?

Most of the (elite) footballing world are looking for a 26 year old Glenn Murray or Bobby Zamora. Big blokes with great touch, cute on the ball, turn of pace, excellent in the air with a proven eye for goal. It’s been done to ****ing death but we had a in-his-prime GM and Gus didn't fancy him (biggest mistake of his career which he’ll acknowledge one day). We had the young Bobby Zamora but had to sell him (expediency). We have either one of those two at that age now and no-one on this board is talking about Potter, guaranteed.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
I may be missing your point, but I don't think you can accuse Potter of being "forced" to play Sanchez. He made the decision (which a lot on here thought was pretty brave). Compare to Hughton - remember the game at Fulham a couple of years ago (Ryan had been at the Asian Cup, but was picked for a game that took place just a few days after he got back - in snow! - and he promptly let in 4 against one of the worst teams in the league).

Home grown players have played nearly 30% of the time (the highest in the EPL), and we've fielded (on average) the 3rd youngest team in the Premier League this season.

Apologies if I've not understood the point you're making :)

Forced, as in the way Ryan was playing was untenable. Who else could Hughton have played? Sanchez was on loan, Walton was on loan and on the bench was Steele.

Home grown players does not equal academy products. 'Playing youth' is playing academy products. In terms of young players, Webster, Lamptey, Trossard, Maupay are young, but had came from outside the club. So, naturally, that brings the average age down. An additional point, majority of our home grown players are also, non-academy products.

Solly's been in the first team for some time and really came a core first team player under Hughton, Dunk, likewise.The reality is, Potter's not really playing academy products to the extent many are alluding to. Alzate still can't get ahead of Gross, Molumby's gone out on loan and Sanders isn't a part of the first team either. Aaron's upfront, largely, one could argue, because we have only 3 recognised strikers now Murray's gone.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Not all about the striker, but defensively GP’s more attacking style hasn’t led to more goals conceded per EPL game compared to CH’s mass defence and dogged blocks by Dunk and Duffy. Identical stats at 1.5 per game .... although tonight I fear we’ll get a spanking. I agree about woeful defending by Burn and mates.

But if Welbeck, Connolly or Maupay had been ‘in the zone’ this season converting half their huge number of chances, we’d be midtable. They know they’re fluffing their lines ... the anguish shown on their faces as they miss another decent chance.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Of course they would, GP’s style generates a huge number of chances per match. That’s a fact per xG stats.

It’s all about the money. Will TB match the pay many other EPL clubs offer?

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex

Agreed, and Hughton was roundly criticised by many on here for sitting on a lead, not pushing for the 2nd goal, and was what GP received credit for early in his tenure.. indeed the very 1st game away at Watford.. had we set up to defend the lead and still conceded a 2nd vs. West Ham, GP would have been lambasted for that too. Of course it can never be one thing or another all of the time, but looking to get that 2 goal cushion is hardly "naive" as others have called it.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Will TB match the pay many other EPL clubs offer?

Here could well be the problem, Mr Bloom clearly has a plan for longevity of the club, bringing through youth and picking up a bargain that we can utilise and ultimately sell on for a profit while slowly progressing the club to the platform or target of a top ten Premier league club. We are clearly willing to pay top dollar (for a club our size) of 20+ million for a striker however the issue we have fallen down on appears to be wages and that structure put in place.

I feel for us to maintain our league place and push on, we must ultimately offer those kinds of wages demanded and that seem to be the going rate.
Even then, we may fail to attract a target, due to our position and the fact we are constantly near the relegation zone, we need to attract a young striker who is eager to show his talent and move on so to speak, use us as a stepping stone rather than a journey man, who is happy to sit out his contract and has nothing to prove.

Finding the golden ticket will never be easy, when the majority of clubs throughout Europe are all in the same boat, so we have to break the wage structure to survive end of.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Of course they would, GP’s style generates a huge number of chances per match. That’s a fact per xG stats.

It’s all about the money. Will TB match the pay many other EPL clubs offer?

Are we being unnecessarily hamstrung by our own wage cap. (Assuming we do actually have one)

Looking online it appears we pay a max of £50k a week. However top strikers, in the Danny Ings / Callum Wilson bracket demand closer to £100k a week.

Looking at ways to get a top striker, could signing a free transfer be the answer?

By signing a free transfer the £15m transfer fee we no longer need to pay could allow us to pay a player a large signing bonus of £5m and have another £10m to top up our usual £50k a week to around £100k.

£10.4m spread over a 4 year contract = £50k a week.

Is this the answer? Or would it just leave us open to signing a duff like Heller or Joelinton?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here