Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter sacked before Monday if they don't win?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I really do feel our main chance of getting into Europe aside from our results, is Chelsea’s results as it stands. Want Spurs to beat them Sunday. They’re the main threat for it at present.

'It is what it is' are my feelings about Potter. He jumped within 24 hours took most of his staff with him and within that time(his unveiling press conference), said how happy he was to be at Chelsea and their fantastic supporters. Then the "it's easy to pick this team with the amount of talent to choose" and the " if I wanted an easy life I could of stayed at Brighton"!!
I don't wish him well and don't wish him harm.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Bbbb
I really do feel our main chance of getting into Europe aside from our results, is Chelsea’s results as it stands. Want Spurs to beat them Sunday. They’re the main threat for it at present.
if Fulham win tonight which is likely that’s a big gap, games in hand aren’t points in the bag. I’m not surprised by last weeks result any type of pressure game and don’t seem to do it.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Bbbb

if Fulham win tonight which is likely that’s a big gap, games in hand aren’t points in the bag.
Oh yeh I’m hoping Fulham and brentford lose every game - and Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle and most importantly the scum. But feel at the moment Chelsea are key. They should still finish miles above us of course!

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
....somebodeeeeeeeeeeee, Potter is somebody that we used to know .......

love it, we should sing this whenever we play him

(for anyone thinking whats he on about - google Gotye)

No, no, no. Sorry, this song of same title is so much better (imo).

As for Potter, seeing how haggard he looks now I've decided I'm over it. Don't wish him ill and he is at least English. I hope he does ok there now but only aslong as they stay beneath us this season in the table (and another 4-1 at their place).

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Well yes, and I heard a few boos that game which I didn't agree with at all. But he's got double standards at work whereby Chelsea fans are allowed to express their disappointment and Brighton fans not. I'm afraid that's not how a crowd works, a crowd will do what a crowd will do. It is what it is. 🤣
This has always annoyed me , i remember that game well and the "boo`s" were pure frustration at our incredible bad luck . I think we had something like 23 shots that game , hit the woodwork goal line clearance/s and Meslier was MOTM . I don`t think the boo`s were aimed at our lads ( or potter ) they were purely a reaction to a chain of events which if, played out the same way on another day we would have won 6 or 7 nil .

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
He’s not going to get sacked imho.

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020
Funny how Chelsea can't score, we couldn't score under Potter.......OK, last week aside, we can't stop scoring.......does that say something ?

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Oh yeh I’m hoping Fulham and brentford lose every game - and Liverpool, Chelsea, Spurs, Newcastle and most importantly the scum. But feel at the moment Chelsea are key. They should still finish miles above us of course!
They should, yeah. As for now, they aren't even the best team in Fulham.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
This has always annoyed me , i remember that game well and the "boo`s" were pure frustration at our incredible bad luck . I think we had something like 23 shots that game , hit the woodwork goal line clearance/s and Meslier was MOTM . I don`t think the boo`s were aimed at our lads ( or potter ) they were purely a reaction to a chain of events which if, played out the same way on another day we would have won 6 or 7 nil .
That was the majority of the Potter time all over, on another day…. I see he’s now saying he’s suffering from mental health issues what the hell did he think he was getting into?

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
That was the majority of the Potter time all over, on another day…. I see he’s now saying he’s suffering from mental health issues what the hell did he think he was getting into?
Wouldn`t wish him any harm but your right , just what did he think he was getting into , honestly thought the guy was more intelligent ! . I guess money really is more important to some people than security , a glimpse at Chelsea`s recent history should tell you all you need to know :shrug:

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
In fairness there is a difference between fans used to success booing losing at home to the managerless bottom team and drawing at home having dominated a game. I’ll stick my head above the parapet and suggest the (limited) booing at the Leeds game was a bit wanky :shrug:
I would say Chelsea fans booing a loss to the managerless bottom team is no more justified than Brighton fans booing a goalless draw after dominating a relegation threatened Leeds.

Football is full of freak results. Teams with a rash of injuries and multiple games in a single week getting the win against a team with all their first teamers and the previous week off. It happens sometimes, and booing it is unfair on the players. Teams coasting at the top of the table slipping up against a relegation threatened side. It's one of the things we love about football. On any given day, anything can happen.

But that's stripping context away from both games.

Chelsea weren't booing one game. They were booing a run of 2 wins in 14, a season where they've fallen far short of their usual standard and are terrified by an unproven manager's project to change the culture of the club from what had been successful, but expensive to something that is less expensive and has so far cost a lot and isn't showing the success.

Brighton's draw with Leeds was the 8th winless game in a row (9th if you include the cup game v leicester), it had been more than two months since the amex crowd had seen a Brighton goal that didn't come from the penalty spot. It was a run that included 4 games against teams in the bottom 6 - a then bottom of the table and winless in 8 Norwich, a then bottom of the table and winless in 12 Newcastle, Aston villa and leeds (and included a lucky draw v Palace). Brighton had aspirations of a top 10 finish so of course expectation were higher than in previous seasons - playing 4 poor teams and getting one penalty goal nd just three points across all four games - there aren't many sides in the premier league that wouldn't have a small pocket of fans booing. (Everton were on a winless that weekend and their fans booing was a lot more vociferous than ours).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I would say Chelsea fans booing a loss to the managerless bottom team is no more justified than Brighton fans booing a goalless draw after dominating a relegation threatened Leeds.

Football is full of freak results. Teams with a rash of injuries and multiple games in a single week getting the win against a team with all their first teamers and the previous week off. It happens sometimes, and booing it is unfair on the players. Teams coasting at the top of the table slipping up against a relegation threatened side. It's one of the things we love about football. On any given day, anything can happen.

But that's stripping context away from both games.

Chelsea weren't booing one game. They were booing a run of 2 wins in 14, a season where they've fallen far short of their usual standard and are terrified by an unproven manager's project to change the culture of the club from what had been successful, but expensive to something that is less expensive and has so far cost a lot and isn't showing the success.

Brighton's draw with Leeds was the 8th winless game in a row (9th if you include the cup game v leicester), it had been more than two months since the amex crowd had seen a Brighton goal that didn't come from the penalty spot. It was a run that included 4 games against teams in the bottom 6 - a then bottom of the table and winless in 8 Norwich, a then bottom of the table and winless in 12 Newcastle, Aston villa and leeds (and included a lucky draw v Palace). Brighton had aspirations of a top 10 finish so of course expectation were higher than in previous seasons - playing 4 poor teams and getting one penalty goal nd just three points across all four games - there aren't many sides in the premier league that wouldn't have a small pocket of fans booing. (Everton were on a winless that weekend and their fans booing was a lot more vociferous than ours).
Yeah, but we were 8th in the PL weren’t we, or had we slid close to relegation? Entitled springs to my mind :shrug:

I’d take pretty well any Potter game over where we were when CH was sacked, stinking the division out.

Last edited:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Yeah, but we were 8th in the PL weren’t we, or had we slid close to relegation? Entitled springs to my mind :shrug:

I’d take pretty well any Potter game over where we were when CH was sacked, stinking the division out.
Yeah you're right. A few, in fact very few fans made their displeasure known and booed. Why are you fixated on that fact as did Potter who was simply deflecting, and not on the more than 25000 of us who didn't boo? 🤦🏻

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Yeah you're right. A few, in fact very few fans made their displeasure known and booed. Why are you fixated on that fact as did Potter who was simply deflecting, and not on the more than 25000 of us who didn't boo? 🤦🏻
I do not want to be seen as defending GP. The way he left meant I lost all respect for him, especially with the frankly insulting comment about wanting an easy life, but his reactions to the booing at Albion (which I agree was just a few) and Chelsea I do get :shrug:

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
For me, it wasn’t so much the fact that Potter complained about the booing, it was the implication that we needed a “history lesson”. His words basically said that we had forgotten where we’d come from. I very much doubt there is any club in the country whose supporters are more aware of their history over the past 25 years or so.
So many thousands of BHA fans fought tirelessly over many years to save the Albion. I don’t need to list all the amazing battles that were fought against Archer and Bellotti, against the planners, etc, etc.
Yet here was someone who had been with the club for just a few years telling US that we needed to be humble and that, effectively, we didn’t deserve to be in such a lofty position (and didn’t deserve to have such a fantastic manager as G Potter).

Maybe Potter is too honest at times and just says what he really thinks, rather than being more guarded.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here