Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter sacked before Monday if they don't win?

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
For me, it wasn’t so much the fact that Potter complained about the booing, it was the implication that we needed a “history lesson”. His words basically said that we had forgotten where we’d come from. I very much doubt there is any club in the country whose supporters are more aware of their history over the past 25 years or so.
So many thousands of BHA fans fought tirelessly over many years to save the Albion. I don’t need to list all the amazing battles that were fought against Archer and Bellotti, against the planners, etc, etc.
Yet here was someone who had been with the club for just a few years telling US that we needed to be humble and that, effectively, we didn’t deserve to be in such a lofty position (and didn’t deserve to have such a fantastic manager as G Potter).

Maybe Potter is too honest at times and just says what he really thinks, rather than being more guarded.
I think Potter’s ‘history lesson’ swipe was actually aimed at the booers, not the fan base. I’d have taken his criticism on board if I’d have booed.

But, I never boo the team and never will, it’s just a principle I have. Despite this, I came very close to booing at the end of that game. However, if I had have been booing it would have been out of frustration. I didn’t blame Potter for grabbing that draw out of the clutches of a certain win, I’m not sure I blamed individual players for missing so many chances, I would have just booed ‘life’ and ‘football’ out of sheer frustration.

Missing goal chances is just so incredibly annoying and it seems that it’s starting to creep back into our play once again.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010

He‘s playing more cards than Brett Maverick 🙈

Almost get the feeling he’s paving the way for his own exit.

(Not condoning it obviously , if it is true but all managers get some degree of abuse, that’s partly what the £12million a year is about)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I would say Chelsea fans booing a loss to the managerless bottom team is no more justified than Brighton fans booing a goalless draw after dominating a relegation threatened Leeds.

Football is full of freak results. Teams with a rash of injuries and multiple games in a single week getting the win against a team with all their first teamers and the previous week off. It happens sometimes, and booing it is unfair on the players. Teams coasting at the top of the table slipping up against a relegation threatened side. It's one of the things we love about football. On any given day, anything can happen.

But that's stripping context away from both games.

Chelsea weren't booing one game. They were booing a run of 2 wins in 14, a season where they've fallen far short of their usual standard and are terrified by an unproven manager's project to change the culture of the club from what had been successful, but expensive to something that is less expensive and has so far cost a lot and isn't showing the success.

Brighton's draw with Leeds was the 8th winless game in a row (9th if you include the cup game v leicester), it had been more than two months since the amex crowd had seen a Brighton goal that didn't come from the penalty spot. It was a run that included 4 games against teams in the bottom 6 - a then bottom of the table and winless in 8 Norwich, a then bottom of the table and winless in 12 Newcastle, Aston villa and leeds (and included a lucky draw v Palace). Brighton had aspirations of a top 10 finish so of course expectation were higher than in previous seasons - playing 4 poor teams and getting one penalty goal nd just three points across all four games - there aren't many sides in the premier league that wouldn't have a small pocket of fans booing. (Everton were on a winless that weekend and their fans booing was a lot more vociferous than ours).
Superb summary of the frustration people were feeling. The few that showed it through booing were not booing the team or the result against Leeds. It was understandable frustration seeping out.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I think Potter’s ‘history lesson’ swipe was actually aimed at the booers, not the fan base. I’d have taken his criticism on board if I’d have booed.

But, I never boo the team and never will, it’s just a principle I have. Despite this, I came very close to booing at the end of that game. However, if I had have been booing it would have been out of frustration. I didn’t blame Potter for grabbing that draw out of the clutches of a certain win, I’m not sure I blamed individual players for missing so many chances, I would have just booed ‘life’ and ‘football’ out of sheer frustration.

Missing goal chances is just so incredibly annoying and it seems that it’s starting to creep back into our play once again.
It was Leeds at home we’ve beaten them reasonably consistently over the last decade in the PL and championship, I may of got the history lesson swipe a bit more if we had played a more high profile PL club that evening but Leeds, really ?

If that really upset him so much then no he’s not built to handle the pressure at a club like Chelsea. You need to be a hold the room type strong charismatic character the press need to be eating out of your hand.
I can see these qualities in RDZ, and Poyet definitely had it during his time here. Potter was always a bit wet in the pressers.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
That said, Chelsea fans are an ugly breed apart and they have clearly overstepped the mark here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here