Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
It pains me to say it, but I think Potter might use his trademark emotional intelligence to take a brief career break rather than dive into a relegation struggling Leicester where he wont have the time and mentality to reorganise a squad.

It makes a lot more sense to me that he waits to the end of the season and takes the Palace job. Parish admires him; Palace want to evolve their playing style, which fits Potter’s profile perfectly; its a smaller side with limited resource; he doesn’t have to uproot his family and obviously their super legendary famous fans are very aware of their history (all thirteen years of it).
If he goes to Palace does this mean we won't lose any matches against them?

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know why you're all so surprised that this Bruno guy has stayed on as interim manager. I gather he's the assistant coach, and it's absolutely the norm for the assistant coach to stay on as interim manager to end the season or at least until they can sign another coach. The most recent example in the PL is Stellini at Tottenham, but we've had interim assistant coaches at Juve as well.

Anyway, I think given the talent they have in the squad Chelsea might experience a positive bounce from this sacking and from being more free to self-manage on the pitch (as I expect an assistant coach to be less precise/demanding with tactics.) I hope I'm wrong obviously, it's maliciously satisfying to laugh at them with all the money they spent.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
If I’m the Southampton chairman (and thankfully I’m nothing to do with that club) I’m on the phone to Potter today.
Good as down, will be a hero if he can save them and if not get a look at the squad for a go at the championship next season.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
If I’m the Southampton chairman (and thankfully I’m nothing to do with that club) I’m on the phone to Potter today.
Good as down, will be a hero if he can save them and if not get a look at the squad for a go at the championship next season.
Have they sacked their third manager of the season then?

Reminds me of Palace in 80/81, they had 5 that season, Venables, Allison, Walley, Gradi and Kember.

Went down in 22nd place ;)

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but can anyone else see Potter ending up at Palace in the Summer?

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know why you're all so surprised that this Bruno guy has stayed on as interim manager. I gather he's the assistant coach, and it's absolutely the norm for the assistant coach to stay on as interim manager to end the season or at least until they can sign another coach. The most recent example in the PL is Stellini at Tottenham, but we've had interim assistant coaches at Juve as well.
Erm, until quite recently Bruno was the captain of our club. He is now the Chelsea head coach, I'm not sure things can get anymore surprising to be honest with you, albeit on an interim basis.

He was also not part of Potter's coaching staff when he joined us from Swansea, he was our most recent club legend who followed Potter out the door. He now appears not to have followed Potter out of the next, immediately at least.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Potter will not want to be remembered as the Liz Truss of the Premier League, so it will be interesting to see his next move. If I was him I'd be begging Leicester for the manager's job. A 10-game relegation dogfight will seem like a walk in the park compared to what he has just been through.

I think he'd be a great fit. Leicester's squad is decent and his thing is working one-on-one with a tight squad, the chairman was reluctant to give Rogers money to spend but I don't think he'll need much.

When you have Maddison, Tielemans, Harvey Barnes, Iheanacho, Daka and Vardy you should be staying up, and even if Maddison and Tielemans left in the summer you could see him being in for players like Gallagher, Gilmour, Broja, Lamptey that could make a difference.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Erm, until quite recently Bruno was the captain of our club. He is now the Chelsea head coach, I'm not sure things can get anymore surprising to be honest with you, albeit on an interim basis.

He was also not part of Potter's coaching staff when he joined us from Swansea, he was our most recent club legend who followed Potter out the door. He now appears not to have followed Potter out of the next.
Well this time he hasn't been offered a job to go to by Potter so the situation is significantly different.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX
Well this time he hasn't been offered a job to go to by Potter so the situation is significantly different.
Yes but still unbelievable Bruno is the Chelsea head coach as per the point of the post.

It will be interesting to see whether Bruno, and indeed Ben Roberts rock up with Potter and Co wherever they land next.

Sepulveda

Notts County's younger cousins' fan
Mar 19, 2023
Northern Italy

He was also not part of Potter's coaching staff when he joined us from Swansea, he was our most recent club legend who followed Potter out the door. He now appears not to have followed Potter out of the next, immediately at least.
So he quit football and joined Potter's staff during Potter's tenure at Brighton?

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Satire, surely? :p
I would think Potter is definitely on their radar. They appointed Vieira because they wanted a young progressive manager, I would see Potter being a similar/better type of appointment. It would also have a similar feeling to when they got Murray, and I think they'd love lauding that over us.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Now that the dust has settled it WAS a stupid appointment. Potter's achievements were to get a team from the Arctic Circle into the top flight of Swedish football, nearly get Swansea to the play-offs, and get Brighton a top-ten finish. All laudable achievements in their own right, but to manage a top club like Chelsea it was a bit like trying to replace Adam Peaty with a bloke who's got a certificate for swimming a width.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Apologies if this has been mentioned before, but can anyone else see Potter ending up at Palace in the Summer?
not really. he wants a "project" with long term commitment, Palace just want to survive each year.

and after Chelsea he might want to take a job with a less demanding fans. not that Palace demanding, just they would be for him.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
It's pretty obvious. What's not to follow??
The 'we're not desperate now' part. Is this in relation to Bruno? That implies that we only employed him because we were desperate. Which doesn't make sense hence me not following. I'm presumably missing the point you're making unless you genuinely think we only employed him as a player, coach and for Albion in the Community because we were desperate?

The traitor part I understand, just disagree with. As I said in my other post I feel his sterling work with us for a decade far outweighs slinking off to Chelsea to further his coaching career.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The thing that will probably be annoying Potter the most is having no luck in the FA Cup, EFL Cup or Champions League draws whatsoever. Something he without doubt would have stressed to Todd Boehly yesterday.

They won their CL group comfortably with AC Milan, Dinamo Zagreb and RB Salzburg despite Thomas Tuchel losing the first game away to Dinamo Zagreb. So they were expected to get a comfortable tie but drew the Bundeliga leaders at the time (Borussia Dortmund) in the last 16. They played two outstanding games but only just got through on aggregate 2-1. Would luck even itself out and Potter get a kind quarter-final? Nope! - the holders Real Madrid with Manchester City or Bayern Munich to come in the semis if they progressed.

Had they drawn Benfica with either Inter Milan/Napoli to follow he'd still be there but only for a few more weeks. At least he can catch up on his sleep now while dreaming of his millions in the bank. Who's the mug now? Graham Potter or Todd Boehly?
You piss off the Lizard and rip out the coaching heart of everyone's second favourite club..........

You pay the footballing God's of Karma when they call in your debt.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
He lost the plot as a manager any one who has Reece James at your disposal and plays him out of position is a moron.
Although I was never a fan he seemed to stop being the Potter we knew and turned into a proper dickhead.
I agree he took a strange twist and oozed arrogance, probably to try and fit in maybe, sad really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here