Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Death threats in the social media age are a bit of a nonsense. 99.9% aren't credible. If anything it's more a chance for people in the public eye to garner a bit of sympathy when they're under pressure.

In the 90's you had to know some personal details and make a bit of effort to send a death threat, that in itself carries an element of threat.
On Social media any old scumbag can write and send offensive words from anywhere in the world.

I bet the people who murdered Jo Cox and David Amiss didn't send threats, they just went and did it.
If you got a death threat that someone was going to wait outside your house, kill you and harm your wife and children I am certain you will feel very differently.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
If you got a death threat that someone was going to wait outside your house, kill you and harm your wife and children I am certain you will feel very differently.
Depends on the credibility and the circumstances.

If it was from a troll account on twitter I honestly wouldn't give it a second thought.

If it was a hand delivered letter I might be a bit worried, in which case I'd go to the police.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Death threats in the social media age are a bit of a nonsense. 99.9% aren't credible. If anything it's just a vehicle for people in the public eye to garner a bit of sympathy when they're under pressure.

In the 90's you had to know some personal details and make a bit of effort to send a death threat, that in itself carries an element of threat.
On Social media any old scumbag can write and send offensive words from anywhere in the world.

I bet the people who murdered Jo Cox and David Amiss didn't send threats, they just went and did it.

I’ve had death threats from Derby fans after I reported their owners* to the football authorities for manipulating the accounts and putting the future of the club at risk as at the time they would not hear of any wrongdoing by the owners.

Regardless of whether they come from social media, phone calls or letters through the post, they are highly unpleasant and mean you do end up looking over your shoulder at times when you really shouldn’t have to.

*who subsequently didn’t pay £28m of tax and put the club into administration

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Depends on the credibility and the circumstances.

If it was from a troll account on twitter I honestly wouldn't give it a second thought.

If it was a hand delivered letter I might be a bit worried, in which case I'd go to the police.
We don’t know the content of these emails he says he’s received. They could say absolutely anything. “I’m going to come to your child’s school at XYZ address”, is very different to “I hope you die, get out of our club”.

It should be a police matter now.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I’ve had death threats from Derby fans after I repeated their owners to the football authorities for manipulating the accounts and putting the future of the club at risk as at the time they would not hear of any wrongdoing by the owners.

Regardless of whether they come from social media, phone calls or letters through the post, they are highly unpleasant and mean you do end up looking over your shoulder at times when you really shouldn’t have to.
And that's exactly what they want - to make you feel fear. I don't dispute that's its unpleasant, but it's a result of all our details being publicly available on the internet and easy, quick, anonymous communication. It needs to be treated in proportion.

I think Potter is daft for making this public, if anything it's just going to encourage more of it. He'll get some sympathy, but I bet he gets even more death threats as a result.

Reactions: cjd

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
TBH for a £60m contact I’d be prepared to be spit roasted by Steve Parish and Wilf Zaha whilst Jo Brand shits on my tits.
So we'll put you down as a 'maybe', ok?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
TBH for a £60m contact I’d be prepared to be spit roasted by Steve Parish and Wilf Zaha whilst Jo Brand shits on my tits.
You'd want the money in your account first though, no?

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
I am sorry for Potter getting abuse from the entitled plastics masquerading as Chelsea 'fans' - and the whole sorry saga proves that money isn't everything, and it certainly can't buy you love. Wrong decision. Wrong place. Wrong time. A cautionary tale for modern football.

I hope Bloom and Barber refuse to sell any more of our wonderful team and stick two fingers up at the whole edifice. Someone needs to. 'Ah, but the players will down tools'. No they won't. They're earning far more than anyone needs already, playing beautiful football, the game they love, in a team which is united, no egos, no fancy dans. The way to make a stand against this stuff is to be the first club to say 'NO.'

I've thought hard about this. The brilliant 'revolving door' stats based recruitment project is groundbreaking and unique as a way of subverting the PL procession, but for us to be the first club to make such a stand and hang on to our players would be wonderful, and with our history we're the club to do it.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I am sorry for Potter getting abuse from the entitled plastics masquerading as Chelsea 'fans' - and the whole sorry saga proves that money isn't everything, and it certainly can't buy you love. Wrong decision. Wrong place. Wrong time. A cautionary tale for modern football.

I hope Bloom and Barber refuse to sell any more of our wonderful team and stick two fingers up at the whole edifice. Someone needs to. 'Ah, but the players will down tools'. No they won't. They're earning far more than anyone needs already, playing beautiful football, the game they love, in a team which is united, no egos, no fancy dans. The way to make a stand against this stuff is to be the first club to say 'NO.'

I've thought hard about this. The brilliant 'revolving door' stats based recruitment project is groundbreaking and unique as a way of subverting the PL procession, but for us to be the first club to make such a stand and hang on to our players would be wonderful, and with our history we're the club to do it.
And who will be paying the financial losses this would result in for the club? Who will be paying for new players once the current ones leave on a free transfer?

Tony Bloom wants Brighton to sell players. Its not going to work otherwise.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Death threats against anyone doing their job is deplorable however bad they may of been.
What about a leader of a fascist regime? Hitler or Putin? I reckon I'd be pretty relaxed about such a jobber getting death threats.

Anyway, its 'have been' - not that it warrants any sort of threat:):):)

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Death threats in the social media age are a bit of a nonsense. 99.9% aren't credible. If anything it's just a vehicle for people in the public eye to garner a bit of sympathy when they're under pressure.

Death threats are not like in the good old days when your pet cat was stapled to the door with the threat in cut out newsprint. Yet even then the lazy buggers didnt carry it out more often than not. Unless you were the cat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here