Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Deleted member 37369

Aug 21, 2018
What are you talking about? You are being very disingenuous for some reason.

The quote in context is this:

'When he was here he started crying over a bit of booing because we hadn’t scored for ages and forgot what a win was! What did he expect when he took his £60m contract. that being said death threats and threats to his family are completely out of order and typical of the Chelsea...'

The 'what did he expect' comment was regarding all the media scrutiny and overreaction with the Chelsea fans. It immediately condemns the threats as it should. Stop trying to link enjoyment at Potter's football problems with being happy that he is mentally suffering or that his family are being threatened. It is not the same thing!
I see you ‘Liked’ Cheeky Monkey’s comment aimed at me. In which case please don’t bother responding to me any further!

• Haha
Reactions: cjd

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
And that was me, goodbye NSC, its been fun but its all over now. Many apologies heavy soul, I'm sure you're a top guy in real life. 👍. Adios xx

Agreed - what’s your take on the Potter death threats though?
Absolutely disgusting mate! As I said earlier I don't wish Potter well at Chelsea but certainly don't wish him harm and that includes verbally. It's fine to be booed and given the bird but, death threats against yourself and family members is totally unacceptable😡

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Those factors are all true, but you can't state "he was never going to succeed" or blame results on the fans.

With the talent at his disposal he should be doing a lot better, he and his selections/tactics/motivation have been not good enough.

Other managers would have got more from those players. Potter is out of his depth and it shows.
Have to agree sometimes you just have to hold your hands up and say this isn’t for me. Hypia did eventually.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
The reason I said he was never going to succeed is we know from his career it takes time to get his ideas and methods across and time was never something you get at clubs like Chelsea.
He was working with lesser players at Brighton....players with more room for improvement. Therefore you can argue that results should have shown more quickly than they did. Sure, the style changed but it was the final 9-10 games of his third season that saw us start to improve results wise and then leap from a possible 13th place finish to 9th in the second half of the final game of the season. We started this season well and he was in the spotlight.
At an elite club like Chelsea, the players have to buy in to the new ideas quickly. You are right, there is no time. Boehly is trying to rip up a successful 20 year script. Why try and fix something that wasn't really broke? You just need marginal gains. For Potter to be judged a success he has to win shitloads of trophies, not the odd cup here or there. He also has to have a very thick skin. He hasn't.
Our club was damned near ripped apart to satisfy his grand ambitions so I have little or no sympathy. His whole life is built around project Potter and he has courted the media to achieve his aims. Now he is in choppy waters and the press sharks are circling, he is finding life a bit more uncomfortable. Death threats are unacceptable but should be confined to reporting the incident/s to the appropriate authorities and not going public. It can smack of sympathy seeking and that is in relatively short supply at the moment.

It becomes more understanding depending on the job, the impact of the job, how badly the job is done, and whether is was done badly nefariously. Boris Johnson and his fraudulent friends killed many and stole from the nation to line their bulging pockets It is understandable in those circumstances for some to descend to the level of death threats.

But due to your football team losing? Wow
Death threats against anyone doing their job is deplorable however bad they may of been.

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
If Potter think he’s getting pressure from fans at the moment he’s in for a huge shock if they lose tomorrow (they won’t). Tottenham is a pretty big deal for Chelsea. He should know that already, as every home game at the Bridge the fans sing ‘we hate Tottenham, CHELSEA’ to the tune of Liquidator by Harry J All Stars. Singing about another team as your own team enters the field ..

A defeat tomorrow at 3 Point Lane will hurt them more than any other defeat under Potter to date.

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Death threats along with their cousins sexist and racist abuse seem to be becoming more and more popular. When I did my jury service 20 plus years ago one of the charges against the defendants was threats to kill. As I remember it it carried a potentially very hefty prison sentence.

How hard can it be to find these people and hit them with the full force of the law. Once some of these sad sacks get serious prison time then all the other trolls will stop.

If the threats are coming form overseas then surely it's not too hard for the social media platforms to present the evidence along with the individuals/clubs to the relevant authorities in whichever jurisdiction is responsible for the abuser.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Death threats along with their cousins sexist and racist abuse seem to be becoming more and more popular. When I did my jury service 20 plus years ago one of the charges against the defendants was threats to kill. As I remember it it carried a potentially very hefty prison sentence.

How hard can it be to find these people and hit them with the full force of the law. Once some of these sad sacks get serious prison time then all the other trolls will stop.

If the threats are coming form overseas then surely it's not too hard for the social media platforms to present the evidence along with the individuals/clubs to the relevant authorities in whichever jurisdiction is responsible for the abuser.
The guy that issued death threats to Maupay and his family was tracked and traced to Singapore and ended up in court. Same should apply to ****s issuing death threats to Potter and his family

The Fits

Jun 29, 2020
I actually feel like the best thing now would be for Potter to walk away. The general atmosphere is totally toxic. In recent times probably only comparable to Benitez at Everton. But even there I think he at least didn't have the media seemingly gleefully orchestrating his destruction. Seems to just be the most distasteful witch-hunt and for Potter, his family and all the the staff surely the best thing now is to take some time off, regroup, and come back at another, friendlier club.
Of course things will change if they beat Spurs, but even if they do, it just feels like prolonging the whole agony.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Agree, absolutely disgusting. As much as I find Chelsea’s results funny and want it all to go pear shape, there is no way he or his family should be getting death threats.
Also absolutely Agree - it is disgraceful- no one should receive death threats

However, people in the public eye frequently get death threats often directed repeatedly at the same person and usually they are by sad sick wackos on social media mouthing it up and posting anonymous abuse just because they can. As is probably the case here.

it’s still online abuse and doesn’t of course make it any less abhorrent than a threat that the police think could actually materialise) so while all death threats should be taken very seriously (and are by the police who do everything they can to trace the perpetrators of online abuse and get them convicted) let’s keep the reported death threat to Potter in perspective shall we? It’s got nothing to do with Chelsea’s recent poor performance under Potter’s management.

Threats of murder, rape, violence are all too common for politicians just doing their job

Last edited:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Most if not all the death threats are probably from armchair fans from afar looking at some of the crap they post on shitter and YouTube.
Absolutely this. Odds on when they trace it it'll be some dweeb in Asia or Africa who picked "his team" based on them winning a lot and has never set foot in Stamford Bridge. Nailed on Potter doesn't have anything to worry about from blokes on building sites in South West London bar a bit of booing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Oh do f*** off you sanctimonious bore, and when you have f***ed off, why don't you keep f***ing off and f*** off some more, and take your moral outrage and your f***ing exclamation marks with you. Absolute fucktard.
:lolol::amex:
And that was me, goodbye NSC, its been fun but its all over now. Many apologies heavy soul, I'm sure you're a top guy in real life. 👍. Adios xx
An absolutely CLASSIC flame/flounce combo executed with the sort of panache one rarely sees from newcomers. Top marks.

Although it needs to be completed with a crawl back as if nothing had happened, hopefully with a new but very obvious user name. Might I suggest "Meeky Chunky" or "Palacefinder General"?

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
I hope he sorts out his mental health issues.
Without being too flippant, he could sort his mental health issues out by leaving the Chelsea job. Not fair etc etc - however surely mental health comes first.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Potter obviously believes he can turn things around at Chelsea. Whether he can or not is a different question, but he isn’t the sort of guy to suddenly lose confidence and quit and would be shocked if this happened.

I personally think from the outside he has a chance of turning them around - IF he can reach the end of the season in much better form. If this carries on, he’ll be gone within the next few weeks.

What we don’t know is, short of Chinese whispers about training ground cliques and unsuccessful meetings, if the players actually believe in him. Or if they ever did to begin with.

I feel it was a terrible choice to take this particular job and especially at the time he did, and personally suspected this might happen purely because Tuchel was so harshly sacked. They’d just won the CL, Potter was essentially expected to win the league this season which was never going to happen.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
He’s just secured a life changing amount of money which has secured his family’s security in an industry where security is in short supply, just ask Nathan Jones, and where loyalty to players and managers from fans is zero, so I don’t know why they expect more in return.

I want Chelsea to be a clusterfuck, but this is the same Graham Potter who spent a night out on the streets highlighting the shitshow that is homelessness in Brighton and elsewhere under these twats in charge of the country.

Speak to people in the game and they will all speak highly of him…except journalists who are desperate to get column inches and he won’t give them bombastic soundbites.

He wouldn’t launch into a slagging off of referees last week because as he rightly said it sets the tone for what is acceptable at grassroots.

He’s a good man with good values. He made a couple of fairly mild snarky comments when manager here but that wasn’t the same as slagging off the whole fanbase.

Good luck to him in his career, but NOT at Chelsea, they are the ****s for taking him half a dozen games into the season. If they’d done it in May/June as the Albion did with him and Swansea I’d have been fine with it.

Boehly is a pisshead creep with wandering hands who gets on my goat, and it’s him who I loathe, not Potter

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Death threats in the social media age are a bit of a nonsense. 99.9% aren't credible. If anything it's just a vehicle for people in the public eye to garner a bit of sympathy when they're under pressure.

In the 90's you had to know some personal details and make a bit of effort to send a death threat, that in itself carries an element of threat.
On Social media any old scumbag can write and send offensive words from anywhere in the world.

I bet the people who murdered Jo Cox and David Amiss didn't send threats, they just went and did it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here