Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Now emerging from Chelsea that he has a termination clause in his contract. Clearly designed to avoid a massive pay-off if he goes relatively quickly.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Mauricio Pochettino has turned down an informal approach from Chelsea to replace Graham Potter. [
@GraemeBailey

Wonder how much truth there is to this?

Can't have long left at Chelsea if remotely true

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Seagulls Social and Albion Obsessed are good YouTube podcasts too...round out my top 3 along with the Albion Roar.
Thanks to you I have just listened to Seagull Social and the guy on there said it's a bad feeling but I haven't had the feeling of relegation!!! It bought it home to me how long we have been up there and there are fans who have never had a relegation! Having been a fan since 68 I have been there multiple times, just maybe some will never have that feeling..............

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Thanks to you I have just listened to Seagull Social and the guy on there said it's a bad feeling but I haven't had the feeling of relegation!!! It bought it home to me how long we have been up there and there are fans who have never had a relegation! Having been a fan since 68 I have been there multiple times, just maybe some will never have that feeling..............
It'll be 17 years this summer since our last relegation. We were relegated 4 times in the 14 years before that(as well as finishing second bottom of the entire football league two years running). The under 25's don't know they're born!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I see the Standard mentions Potter held "no holds barred" meeting with his senior players last month. Judging by results, that seems to have made things worse, not better.
More niggling from some sections of the press. Pandering to those of their readers who wanted Potter out from the day he was appointed, I suppose. Strange how often the phrase 'for now' seems to turn up!

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Now emerging from Chelsea that he has a termination clause in his contract. Clearly designed to avoid a massive pay-off if he goes relatively quickly.
Wouldn’t that make it not a contract ? Or not in the professional football sense anyway. If they can just kick him out on a month’s notice or something then that £12m guarantee wasn’t true.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Whatever your thoughts, Potters is possibly the luckiest manager in football history. Not only to be given such patience by Tony in first place during some god awful runs of games and utter borefeasts, but now at a global giant who fire managers after winning the CL never mind after spending billions coupled with dismal performances including losing to bottom side at home.

Seems Potter repeatedly gets given months where others can’t get time of day in this division.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The Spurs game this weekend is must-watch TV. For Potter, the direction of his managerial career will hinge on the Spurs and Dortmund results. Similarly, for Conte the Chelsea and Milan matches are also huge.

If Spurs win I can't see Chelsea catching them up, and they will look good value for 4th spot. However, it has the potential to go Spursy. Either way, this could be one of the best atmospheres in that new stadium, and everyone there should be pumped.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Wouldn’t that make it not a contract ? Or not in the professional football sense anyway. If they can just kick him out on a month’s notice or something then that £12m guarantee wasn’t true.
His contract is reportedly for £12m per year and he was given a 5/6 (?) year contract. If they sacked him now and had to pay the whole contract it would cost about £60m. Presumably a termination clause would specify a set amount, perhaps a years pay.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
His contract is reportedly for £12m per year and he was given a 5/6 (?) year contract. If they sacked him now and had to pay the whole contract it would cost about £60m. Presumably a termination clause would specify a set amount, perhaps a years pay.
I thought fixed term contracts in football were paid up in full following a dismissal. This is borne out by the termination payments disclosed in ManU, Chelsea and Spurs accounts following the sackings of well known managerial teams. The figures are huge.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
I thought fixed term contracts in football were paid up in full following a dismissal. This is borne out by the termination payments disclosed in ManU, Chelsea and Spurs accounts following the sackings of well known managerial teams. The figures are huge.
They are but there is a common principle in commercial contract law that the claimant has a duty to mitigate loss - requiring the sacked manager to find work to mitigate the compensation payable - when he goes to the new club he must then give credit to the former club for the salary and benefits he receives from the new job. (Note, this is only in a case of unlawful/unfair dismissal. Obviously if the manager was in breach of his contract, no compensation would be payable.)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
The termination clause, if any, is exactly what the two parties agreed to include in the mutually agreed contract, nothing more, nothing less. And what that is is anybody's guess!

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Normally yes. But it’s been reported that Potter’s contract has a termination clause. No idea if the report is correct or not.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Depends on the terms of the contract. Pardew for example with his 7 year contract at Newcastle only had a years pay-off when sacked.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Whatever your thoughts, Potters is possibly the luckiest manager in football history. Not only to be given such patience by Tony in first place during some god awful runs of games and utter borefeasts, but now at a global giant who fire managers after winning the CL never mind after spending billions coupled with dismal performances including losing to bottom side at home.

Seems Potter repeatedly gets given months where others can’t get time of day in this division.
Agree, however, to be fair Tony’s patience did yield results.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here