Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
If only two results in 21/22 had changed . (Draws at Leicester and West Ham being converted to wins) - we'd have finished 7th.
RDZ wouldn't have qualified for Europe last season with his results after gameweek 6 - without the 13 points that Potter had racked up before he left. I think we were 8th with all the results post gameweek 6.
If my granny had balls, she'd be my grandad.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If only two results in 21/22 had changed . (Draws at Leicester and West Ham being converted to wins) - we'd have finished 7th.
RDZ wouldn't have qualified for Europe last season with his results after gameweek 6 - without the 13 points that Potter had racked up before he left. I think we were 8th with all the results post gameweek 6.
If only 1 result had changed in 21/22, win at home to Brentford to a loss, we would have finished 13th. You also would not have seen a home win after the 3rd home game of the season till the 2nd to last last game of the season,
After 5 games of season 21/22 Potter had us 4th, then went on to only win 3 games of the next 25, including a run of 6 straight defeats, in which we scored one goal, and then ended that losing run with a goalless draw at home against bottom side Norwich. The only other sides to not score against Norwich at home were Burnley and Watford who were also relegated.
I liked him, was pissed off he left, because I felt we had been patient with the results because we could see progress in the performances, and then he f***ed off just when he should have been rewarding our patience, and for that I felt cheated.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Yes, indeed. And actually if you take the games that RDZ was in charge last season, we finished eighth. What a load of old nonsense on this thread.
And just to clarify, because we can guarantee that certain posters will read what they want to in this post: no, I'm not saying GP is a better manager than RDZ, there's an increasing recognition that RDZ is joining the elite managers -- up there with Pep and Klopp -- and it's a delight for all of us to witness it. None of that makes GP a bad manager, who inherited an old, slow, unathletic squad that just escaped relegation and was destined for the drop, and transformed it. It's telling that many of the more recent comments are pointing to the lack of home wins, which indicates fans' experience of or even presence at games. What matters far more are: points; playing style; and development and transformation of the squad.
This and Muzzman's post #3262 tell it superbly. Both great posts.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
Potter would not have got us into Europe, we all knew the bubble would burst sitting fourth at the time he left, we all knew that we would go on a run of 5 or 6 games without a win or even a goal. Good coach yeah, some good ideas yeah, some brave tactics, meh.....
He was not the messiah, he was part of our evolution and not his brainchild either, he did a job to get us to the next level, we are here now, and we should thank him, but high praise and rose tinted glasses, no.
As much as I dislike the way he left he did change how we play our game, as soon as he arrived our style became far more attractive to watch, we went from painfully defensive to trying to win every game, sure the results were slow in coming, however at the beginning of last season the results were starting to match the performance. RDZ walked into a side that already had the major foundations for how he plays, lots of possession, playing out from the back, even the goals were starting to come. Sure he has taken that foundation and put it on steroids, but if you don't a give decent amount of credit to GP then you have a very muddied view of what he did for the club.

tstanbur

Sep 16, 2011
As much as I dislike the way he left he did change how we play our game, as soon as he arrived our style became far more attractive to watch, we went from painfully defensive to trying to win every game, sure the results were slow in coming, however at the beginning of last season the results were starting to match the performance. RDZ walked into a side that already had the major foundations for how he plays, lots of possession, playing out from the back, even the goals were starting to come. Sure he has taken that foundation and put it on steroids, but if you don't a give decent amount of credit to GP then you have a very muddied view of what he did for the club.
Great post and spot on.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I appreciate he moved the club forward with let’s not forget already a clear plan and style of play Mr Bloom had identified and wanted the club to play the same from under 11s to the first 11. He was selected for this purpose everyone has a shelf life no matter how good they are, Tony was already writing a list of replacements the day Potter signed, I like all was disappointed by Potters departure and the history lesson comments prior to that were a sign, he was not that happy, and to me he left that day, it was a matter of time.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
A number of posts comparing how we did immediately after
If only 1 result had changed in 21/22, win at home to Brentford to a loss, we would have finished 13th. You also would not have seen a home win after the 3rd home game of the season till the 2nd to last last game of the season,
After 5 games of season 21/22 Potter had us 4th, then went on to only win 3 games of the next 25, including a run of 6 straight defeats, in which we scored one goal, and then ended that losing run with a goalless draw at home against bottom side Norwich. The only other sides to not score against Norwich at home were Burnley and Watford who were also relegated.
I liked him, was pissed off he left, because I felt we had been patient with the results because we could see progress in the performances, and then he f***ed off just when he should have been rewarding our patience, and for that I felt cheated.
Totally agree. And those arguing De Zerbi would have finished 8th, well it is hardly fair to expect any new manager to hit the ground running compared to a manager who has been in the job 3 years and who knows the players very well. Dunk said they were bewildered for a few weeks but still they did not do badly at all. De Zerbis first few games were harder as well.

kelvinnewman

Aug 17, 2023
I appreciate he moved the club forward with let’s not forget already a clear plan and style of play Mr Bloom had identified and wanted the club to play the same from under 11s to the first 11. He was selected for this purpose everyone has a shelf life no matter how good they are, Tony was already writing a list of replacements the day Potter signed, I like all was disappointed by Potters departure and the history lesson comments prior to that were a sign, he was not that happy, and to me he left that day, it was a matter of time.
interesting how Big Ange who was one of the other names linked at the time is looking like he could have been a good option if RDZ hadn’t been keen.

Happy we got RDZ but does reassure that the shortlisting/talent identification wasn’t just a fluke.

Last edited:

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
Would like to see all these incorrect calls I've made Vs correct. Probably 50/50. Don't forget I was the one who told NSC that potter was joining Brighton a few days before he did.

Keep digging thoug
I don’t like these bold, controversial statements, free of any evidence or any reasoning. So lazy. Even a simple 'IMO' would help.
Perhaps some are confused between opinions and facts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here