Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I appreciate he moved the club forward with let’s not forget already a clear plan and style of play Mr Bloom had identified and wanted the club to play the same from under 11s to the first 11. He was selected for this purpose everyone has a shelf life no matter how good they are, Tony was already writing a list of replacements the day Potter signed,
Sure the club went looking for a manager who could breath life back into our play, does that really discredit or lessen what Potter did? As to "Tony was already writing a list of replacements the day Potter signed" yep that's why he extended his contract after a few months because he had replacements ready and saw no value in him :rolleyes: . From the little TB has said on Potter leaving I think he was a tad surprised.
I also think we need to thank Putin for RDZ, sure he was on our long term radar but without the invasion he would not have been available and I don't get the impression he is one to be as disloyal as Potter.

I get the disdain toward Potter, what I don't like is the revision of history downplaying how he improved our team. He did a bloody good job for us left a damn good base for RDZ and yes behaved like a c**t at the end

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
I wonder whether Potter might be holding out for De Zerbi to move on, and then stage a comeback. He could easily see out this season without a club.
Note: I don't really think this will happen. But I'd be ok with Potter coming back.
To be honest as much as I appreciate how good he was I think it would be a retrograde step as far as coaching abilities go, and more importantly I could never trust him, the way he left means he fails the no dickheads policy in a massive way.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Sure the club went looking for a manager who could breath life back into our play, does that really discredit or lessen what Potter did? As to "Tony was already writing a list of replacements the day Potter signed" yep that's why he extended his contract after a few months because he had replacements ready and saw no value in him :rolleyes: . From the little TB has said on Potter leaving I think he was a tad surprised.
I also think we need to thank Putin for RDZ, sure he was on our long term radar but without the invasion he would not have been available and I don't get the impression he is one to be as disloyal as Potter.

I get the disdain toward Potter, what I don't like is the revision of history downplaying how he improved our team. He did a bloody good job for us left a damn good base for RDZ and yes behaved like a c**t at the end
First season thank f*** for covid we were dire, second season not much improvement on the last, third season we finally started getting somewhere with the introduction of a certain Moses Caciedo, Cucurella and to some extent Mwepu. Before Caciedo we had gone on an 11 game winless streak and then suffered six defeats in a row so was it Potters genius or the genius of Caciedo hard to tell.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
First season thank f*** for covid we were dire, second season not much improvement on the last, third season we finally started getting somewhere with the introduction of a certain Moses Caciedo, Cucurella and to some extent Mwepu. Before Caciedo we had gone on an 11 game winless streak and then suffered six defeats in a row so was it Potters genius or the genius of Caciedo hard to tell.
Yes. Hard to tell who was responsible for the wins and getting us to 9th. The players, Caicedo , anyone but the coaching.. The defeats and winless runs sound definitely down to Potter though ha ha .

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Any other chairman and Potter would have been out on his ear before he ever got a chance to stumble upon a winning formula in his third season - and even then it was purely down to sheer quality of the players he had at his disposal

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What happened at Chelsea then? 😂

Any other chairman and Potter would have been out on his ear before he ever got a chance to stumble upon a winning formula in his third season - and even then it was purely down to sheer quality of the players he had at his disposal

Funny how when he succeeds at Brighton, its nothing to do with him. And when he fails at Chelsea its EVERYTHING to do with him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Funny how when he succeeds at Brighton, its nothing to do with him. And when he fails at Chelsea its EVERYTHING to do with him.
Indeed.

But to recapture the essence of a recent question on this thread, after RDZ leaves, no, no we don't want Potter back. The boat has sailed. I give you Mullery and Adams as exemplars of 'never go back'. And if you want a rip-roaring returnee success, there is Eddie Howe, but his departure from B'muff and return was an exceptional phenomenon in every respect. It/they/him are not now and us.

It isn't about whether Potter was any good or not. It's about the planning of the club. I am not a betting man but I would be prepared to wager your house that Tony has a little list of possible successors, and that Potter's name isn't on it.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Is not winning at home for a calendar year succeeding? People remember a flurry of wins at the back end of his time with us and stamped genius coach on his forehead. Chelsea Todd fell for it to.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Is not winning at home for a calendar year succeeding? People remember a flurry of wins at the back end of his time with us and stamped genius coach on his forehead. Chelsea Ted fell for it to.
I get it . He was a failure, Bloom should have sacked him probably after the first season. Or after the first defeat given how clueless he was. He did get us to our highest ever finish - but that wasn't much in the scheme of things given the players he had no part in recruiting or developing or coaching - so was nothing to do with him as well. And his failure to get much done at chaotic Chelsea was everything to do with him. Tough crowd !

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
No idea about Potter himself, but his sidekick BJORN was definitely at the game last night.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Is not winning at home for a calendar year succeeding? People remember a flurry of wins at the back end of his time with us and stamped genius coach on his forehead. Chelsea Todd fell for it to.

We couldn’t buy a win for months, we had no momentum. I thought the Covid Shutdown might go in our in favour, give Potter a reset with the players and it did.

Put it another way, in April/May 2020 NSC’ers were obsessed with the season being cancelled forever, more than any other football forum from what I could see.

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
What happened at Chelsea then? 😂
As we all predicted they didn't give him time to sort the mess out. The mess still isn't sorted out, so is it the club itself or Tuchel, Potter, Lampard and Poch who are at fault? Sure his first season in charge was nail-biting, but the change in approach was clear for all to see and the future looked good. As opposed to CH where it was obvious we were going to get relegated if we kept playing like that.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I get it . He was a failure, Bloom should have sacked him earlier. He did get us to our highest ever finish - but that wasn't much in the scheme of things given the players he had no part in recruiting or developing or coaching - so was nothing to do with him as well. And his failure to get much done at chaotic Chelsea was everything to do with him. Tough crowd !
He had a £200m midfield at his disposal and finished ninth, RDZ lost Mwepu (sadly) & Biss and finished top six in his first season a few points and a certain Stuart Atwell away from a top four finish.
As we all predicted they didn't give him time to sort the mess out. The mess still isn't sorted out, so is it the club itself or Tuchel, Potter, Lampard and Poch who are at fault? Sure his first season in charge was nail-biting, but the change in approach was clear for all to see and the future looked good. As opposed to CH where it was obvious we were going to get relegated if we kept playing like that.
As @Weststander quoted Covid saved us from a possible relegation in his first season we were dire. Potter ball as some like to say had gone well and truly out the window by then and Murray had gone back up top to try and win some points.

If Potter thought he was going to get 3 seasons at Chelsea to get his side playing and have a chairman as patient as TB he must of been seriously deluded. Tuchel didn’t take long to sort out the mess Lampard had left then again he’s a top level coach perfectly capable of dealing with the big ego’s.

Last edited:

nickjhs

NSC Patron
Apr 9, 2017
Ballarat, Australia
He had a £200m midfield at his disposal and finished ninth, RDZ lost Mwepu (sadly) & Biss and finished top six in his first season a few points and a certain Stuart Atwell away from a top four finish.

As @Weststander quoted Covid saved us from a possible relegation in his first season we were dire. Potter ball as some like to say had gone well and truly out the window by then and Murray had gone back up top to try and win some points.

If Potter thought he was going to get 3 seasons at Chelsea to get his side playing and have a chairman as patient as TB he must of been seriously deluded. Tuchel didn’t take long to sort out the mess Lampard had left then again he’s a top level coach perfectly capable of dealing with the big ego’s.
Meh enough said, clearly you were a Potter out and I was a Potter in. I will say this, I was correct when I kept on saying its not the performances that are bad its the results and they will eventually come our way. No doubt you will disagree with this as well.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012

Ha ! And so it goes on. Covid, Murray picking himself, players that increase 10x in value by magic, tactics that the squad ignored and hands off owners. It sounds like Potter wasn't even here the way the you paint it apart from that moment he reminded us of history lessons. All manner of other things were earning him the points , improving the squad and getting us to 9th. Certainly the coach was there for the defeats presumably. I guess he was there for them. Of course he was. Ha ha.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Ha ! And so it goes on. Covid, Murray picking himself, players that increase 10x in value by magic, tactics that the squad ignored and hands off owners. It sounds like Potter wasn't even here the way the you paint it apart from that moment he reminded us of history lessons. All manner of other things were earning him the points , improving the squad and getting us to 9th. Certainly the coach was there for the defeats presumably. I guess he was there for them. Of course he was. Ha ha.
If you say so, you have a lot of support for a man who pissed off without a second thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here