Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Blimey. There's a LOT of people still butt-hurt by Potter. Get over yourselves, he did a great job, he left us in FOURTH position FFS. Of course he thought we could compete with the big boys, and we were scoring goals left, right and centre when he left. Who knows where we could have ended up if he stayed, we just don't know how far he could have taken us, I like to think we would have still made Europa League under his tenure.

RDZ would never have come to us without Potter's influence on the team and style of football we were playing.

Personally, for the majority of fans on here who should know better, you're all acting like your 16, still pining over your first love who dumped you.
Yes, indeed. And actually if you take the games that RDZ was in charge last season, we finished eighth. What a load of old nonsense on this thread.
And just to clarify, because we can guarantee that certain posters will read what they want to in this post: no, I'm not saying GP is a better manager than RDZ, there's an increasing recognition that RDZ is joining the elite managers -- up there with Pep and Klopp -- and it's a delight for all of us to witness it. None of that makes GP a bad manager, who inherited an old, slow, unathletic squad that just escaped relegation and was destined for the drop, and transformed it. It's telling that many of the more recent comments are pointing to the lack of home wins, which indicates fans' experience of or even presence at games. What matters far more are: points; playing style; and development and transformation of the squad.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
he did have to change the culture of the squad from hughtonball, whilst keeping us up, not easy
But that's just here. As @Nobby correctly points out he's won a farmer's league with a bankrolled team, taken Swansea to 10th in the Championship and lasted less than a season at Chelsea, aside from us. Hardly a glowing cv.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Blimey. There's a LOT of people still butt-hurt by Potter. Get over yourselves, he did a great job, he left us in FOURTH position FFS. Of course he thought we could compete with the big boys, and we were scoring goals left, right and centre when he left. Who knows where we could have ended up if he stayed, we just don't know how far he could have taken us, I like to think we would have still made Europa League under his tenure.

RDZ would never have come to us without Potter's influence on the team and style of football we were playing.

Personally, for the majority of fans on here who should know better, you're all acting like your 16, still pining over your first love who dumped you.
Why would anyone be "butt-hurt" when his replacement is 500 times better? Should have gone earlier in hindsight but TB was always going to be loyal to him.

Now, when RDZ goes, that will be like being dumped by my wife, my best friend and my best shag ever all in one go. TB and PBOBE will really have to ramp up the succession plan to get a lot of people over that. Luckily he seems happy, rather than willing to flash his knickers at an overfunded vanity project.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Now, when RDZ goes, that will be like being dumped by my wife, my best friend and my best shag ever all in one go. TB and PBOBE will really have to ramp up the succession plan to get a lot of people over that. Luckily he seems happy, rather than willing to flash his knickers at an overfunded vanity project.
I strongly suggest you start preparing yourself now, he will go at the end of the season.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
But that's just here. As @Nobby correctly points out he's won a farmer's league with a bankrolled team, taken Swansea to 10th in the Championship and lasted less than a season at Chelsea, aside from us. Hardly a glowing cv.
You can describe any manager by talking down achievements and omitting other factors.

I know a manager who's only achievements are:
- bimbling around the Italian lower leagues for eight years with a win rate of less than 40%, winning only the Italian version of the FA Trophy,
- getting relegated with Benvenuto
- taking Sassuolo into safety but failing to qualify for Europe
- finishing 2nd with the team that had won the league the previous 4 seasons in Ukraine
- and finally, taking a heavily bankrolled Brighton team to 6th (two places lower than where our previous manager left us

Let me be clear, I am in no way saying that th coach above is a bad coach, just that if you're determined, you can make anyone look a failure

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Who is the player that has come out and what have they said?
Alzates cousin quoted on blinds for me and hinted that potter barely spoke to alzate and treated him badly. The only time he did speak to him was to moan that he was going on international duty in classic passive aggressive potter style.

But I think this is a different story !

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
I strongly suggest you start preparing yourself now, he will go at the end of the season.
He'll go if Pep or Klopp leave. He'd be the perfect manager for either club. Certainly won't go and join Todd's shitshow mid-season.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
He'll go if Pep or Klopp leave. He'd be the perfect manager for either club. Certainly won't go and join Todd's shitshow mid-season.
How solid are Barca and real managers looking at the moment ? I think we have a reasonable chance of keeping him. We will know pretty early as fab will be touting him around if there's any blood in the water.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
yes, i am judging potter on what he did here, he was the very conduit that we passed thru from suicdeball to ecstasyball

no potter, no de zerbi :shrug:

people seem to think it's easy, hughts couldn't do it, and he's a leg end

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
How solid are Barca and real managers looking at the moment ? I think we have a reasonable chance of keeping him. We will know pretty early as fab will be touting him around if there's any blood in the water.
Xavi will get this season no matter what, he's a club legend and it's a member's club at the end of the day. They also had to move to the Olympic stadium while the Nou Camp is upgraded. Ancelotti has almost certainly only got this season left. Pep will never go to Real so they would have to appoint RDZ directly or appoint Klopp who would be replaced by RDZ.

Ancelotti would make a decent England coach when Southgate goes at the end of Euro 24, as I believe he will, whatever we achieve so there's that merry-go-round too.

But @Muzzman has succeeded in taking this conversation way off course. I've not said RDZ won't leave. I've said it'll hurt a lot more than losing the teeth sucking Geography teacher.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Xavi will get this season no matter what, he's a club legend and it's a member's club at the end of the day. They also had to move to the Olympic stadium while the Nou Camp is upgraded. Ancelotti has almost certainly only got this season left. Pep will never go to Real so they would have to appoint RDZ directly or appoint Klopp who would be replaced by RDZ.

Ancelotti would make a decent England coach when Southgate goes at the end of Euro 24, as I believe he will, whatever we achieve so there's that merry-go-round too.

But @Muzzman has succeeded in taking this conversation way off course. I've not said RDZ won't leave. I've said it'll hurt a lot more than losing the teeth sucking Geography teacher.
Hmmm so yes both real and Barca managers unlikely to be in place next summer. A definite worry. He's already had a few moans about the weather and food in England (has his own private chef in Brighton 😆)

Really hope RDZ stays if he gets us into the champions League.

Last edited:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Alzates cousin quoted on blinds for me and hinted that potter barely spoke to alzate and treated him badly. The only time he did speak to him was to moan that he was going on international duty in classic passive aggressive potter style.

But I think this is a different story !
It is a different story although the implication from some with these stories is pure revisionism - and a desire to discredit Potter and his record. RDZ is a brilliant coach and clearly the players are inspired by him (they say so) but Sanchez, Trossard have already fallen out with Di Zerbi. So much so that we sold them.

Potter was a good coach, good bloke, not without his flaws of course, but in the end left the Albion in a far stronger position than when he had joined - not sure why that is now up for dispute.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
My opinion is not uniformed. As I've said MANY times before I watch near enough EVERY Ajax game.

You don't know me matey.
soz, my opinion is uninformed, you must admit tho, you do get a lot of calls wrong, you're not a gambling man i hope

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
soz, my opinion is uninformed, you must admit tho, you do get a lot of calls wrong, you're not a gambling man i hope
Would like to see all these incorrect calls I've made Vs correct. Probably 50/50. Don't forget I was the one who told NSC that potter was joining Brighton a few days before he did.

Keep digging though !

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
I wonder whether Potter might be holding out for De Zerbi to move on, and then stage a comeback. He could easily see out this season without a club.
Note: I don't really think this will happen. But I'd be ok with Potter coming back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here