Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Potter [NOT] at Chelsea

Potter at Chelsea

• I want him to fail

Votes: 365 48.2%
  • I want him to succeed

Votes: 73 9.6%
  • He's gone. I'm indifferent. Graham who?

Votes: 320 42.2%

• Total voters

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I wouldn't imagine there's a Chelsea player, some of them at the peak of their careers and ability, who didn't start this season thinking they'd compete for and potentially win some of the biggest prizes in football...to then have to write off this season, and probably next too...

That dressing room must be bleak. If Potter goes the rebuilding job on morale and just making players want to even be there is going to be huuuuuuuuge for whoever takes over.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I wouldn't imagine there's a Chelsea player, some of them at the peak of their careers and ability, who didn't start this season thinking they'd compete for and potentially win some of the biggest prizes in football...to then have to write off this season, and probably next too...

That dressing room must be bleak. If Potter goes the rebuilding job on morale and just making players want to even be there is going to be huuuuuuuuge for whoever takes over.
Potter still has the Champions League in his grasp.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Potter must go to bed every night praying that he'll get sacked in the morning. All that lovely pay-off dosh within touching distance now, he can almost taste it! Perhaps he needs to force Boehly's hand by 'doing a Conte', maybe even launching some of his new-found sweary words for added impetus :lol:

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
Potter must go to bed every night praying that he'll get sacked in the morning. All that lovely pay-off dosh within touching distance now, he can almost taste it! Perhaps he needs to force Boehly's hand by 'doing a Conte', maybe even launching some of his new-found sweary words for added impetus :lol:
Yup. He must be begging for it all to end. I imagine he's absolutely crushed. The ego that thought he could be a success at Chelsea is going to take some time to recover from being so brutally exposed, if it ever does. Just because it's part of his job he'll be having to analyse what De Zerbi is doing too, in the same way he'll be analysing every team and game, and he'll be forced, like torture, to see players he had the opportunity to work with now doing better under someone else - he'll basically be having to learn not only what he's doing wrong at Chelsea but also where he could have done better at Brighton, without a great deal of positivity coming his way at all. From the Amex singing his name and the celebrations with fans at away games to being booed off every match, endless #PotterOut vitriol before even the first game in charge and relentless doubts from every quarter about his ability and job security...

He's smart enough and for all his faults self-aware enough to know that his snidey comments about Brighton and Brighton fans were graceless and make him look petty because he's not yet earned the right to be arrogant like Mourinho. On a human level I feel a bit sorry for him because it seems obvious he's out of his depth and knows it. Anyone who has ever had a job they hate and has to go in day after day will know that horrible feeling of dread and inevitability and just wanting each day to be over. While the money he's on and pay-off he'll get will cushion the blow a bit I think he's going to leave this job pretty broken. He'll know he left something good. He'll know he's probably blown his chance at managing the "big six" and it won't happen again, and by extension the England job might now be out of the question for a long time, if ever. He'll know a lot of players at that top level will be nervous about him taking over their team now having seen what's happened at Chelsea. If Howe goes to England would Newcastle even glance at Potter these days? He's not a bad manager, but he's tainted now for sure. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes a break from management or works overseas for a bit and ends up at Palace (not joking).

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
When or if this does end, does he then effectively become ‘unemployable’ at the higher end, ie top 10, of the EPL?

As the previous poster said he’s tainted, most supporters of teams outside the bottom 6 would be positively underwhelmed in Potter, Billy and the rest of the crew rocked up at their club.

Many a true word is spoken in just but at this point, with it almost certainly going to go tits up at The Bridge, the jobs at Palace or maybe even West Ham are his best option.

Could he work at the top end of The Championship?🤷‍♂️

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Potter being found out! Same old problem, lots of possession, lots of chances…….. can’t score! RBZ, same players……shed load of goals!
Potter had actually got us scoring before he left. 11 in 6 in the league this season (compared with 38 in 20 under RdZ). And 13 in 5 at the end of last season.

(I promise I’m not Swansman in disguise).

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
God help you.

I don’t think that will happen. Literally more than anything, Levy must have top 4 every season. He wouldn’t be patient with a Potter experiment.
I never really got the hype, albeit I don't watch every week.

I think he did a good job at Brighton, but not a great job.

I wonder if Potter wasn't English he would be getting the same hype?

How many games was he winless?

The same flaws are being seen at Chelsea, why has he not tried Abam? Least he's a striker.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
When or if this does end, does he then effectively become ‘unemployable’ at the higher end, ie top 10, of the EPL?

As the previous poster said he’s tainted, most supporters of teams outside the bottom 6 would be positively underwhelmed in Potter, Billy and the rest of the crew rocked up at their club.

Many a true word is spoken in just but at this point, with it almost certainly going to go tits up at The Bridge, the jobs at Palace or maybe even West Ham are his best option.

Could he work at the top end of The Championship?🤷‍♂️
His press interviews have always been a bit strange but they are only getting more so.

He's like the bloke down the pub who attempts to show he knows what he's talking about by using "technical" speak but completely misses the point. He has always failed to come over with any passion, any expectation. In contrast you only have to listen to RDZ to appreciate the drive to do better, not just to be satisfied with the norm.

There's no doubt that Potter completely transformed the way we played but it was a technical change and often as the long periods of not winning showed, he lacks the passion to change things. RDZ just wouldn't accept a run of poor results. Potter did by giving excuse after excuse, learning's will be learnt, it is what it is etc etc.

One would imagine the coaching from Potter is very technical whereas RDZ would be as well but with a massive injection of Italian passion. The players have alluded to this nearly every time they're interviewed. I'd imagine some of the team meetings are, shall we say, very entertaining.

If Potter does get a nice pay off, he will get another gig with a similar team to us but again the chairman and the fans would have to deal with long periods of emptiness.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
His press interviews have always been a bit strange but they are only getting more so.

He's like the bloke down the pub who attempts to show he knows what he's talking about by using "technical" speak but completely misses the point. He has always failed to come over with any passion, any expectation. In contrast you only have to listen to RDZ to appreciate the drive to do better, not just to be satisfied with the norm.

There's no doubt that Potter completely transformed the way we played but it was a technical change and often as the long periods of not winning showed, he lacks the passion to change things. RDZ just wouldn't accept a run of poor results. Potter did by giving excuse after excuse, learning's will be learnt, it is what it is etc etc.

One would imagine the coaching from Potter is very technical whereas RDZ would be as well but with a massive injection of Italian passion. The players have alluded to this nearly every time they're interviewed. I'd imagine some of the team meetings are, shall we say, very entertaining.

If Potter does get a nice pay off, he will get another gig with a similar team to us but again the chairman and the fans would have to deal with long periods of emptiness.
I’m not sure similar teams to us would take him on now.

Looking at the EPL now, clearly he would never come back to us (thankfully), if he were appointed to the likes of Fulham, Brentford even his home city club Villa, the support would be underwhelmed.

As has been said previously the Chelsea experience has really tainted his reputation, variation on a theme, is he a bit like Gus Poyet?

Gus will never get a decent job in this country again.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I’m not sure similar teams to us would take him on now.

Looking at the EPL now, clearly he would never come back to us (thankfully), if he were appointed to the likes of Fulham, Brentford even his home city club Villa, the support would be underwhelmed.

As has been said previously the Chelsea experience has really tainted his reputation, variation on a theme, is he a bit like Gus Poyet?

Gus will never get a decent job in this country again.
I should clarify I meant a team like we were certainly not now, a top 6 team challenging a CL spot and the FA Cup :ROFLMAO:

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
I find it slightly unbelievable that he's trotted out the 'lads gave it everything' line. Surely someone close to him could tell him to stfu, in the same way it eventually got through to him that learning and taking the positives was a nonsense for a football supporter

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yup. He must be begging for it all to end. I imagine he's absolutely crushed. The ego that thought he could be a success at Chelsea is going to take some time to recover from being so brutally exposed, if it ever does. Just because it's part of his job he'll be having to analyse what De Zerbi is doing too, in the same way he'll be analysing every team and game, and he'll be forced, like torture, to see players he had the opportunity to work with now doing better under someone else - he'll basically be having to learn not only what he's doing wrong at Chelsea but also where he could have done better at Brighton, without a great deal of positivity coming his way at all. From the Amex singing his name and the celebrations with fans at away games to being booed off every match, endless #PotterOut vitriol before even the first game in charge and relentless doubts from every quarter about his ability and job security...

He's smart enough and for all his faults self-aware enough to know that his snidey comments about Brighton and Brighton fans were graceless and make him look petty because he's not yet earned the right to be arrogant like Mourinho. On a human level I feel a bit sorry for him because it seems obvious he's out of his depth and knows it. Anyone who has ever had a job they hate and has to go in day after day will know that horrible feeling of dread and inevitability and just wanting each day to be over. While the money he's on and pay-off he'll get will cushion the blow a bit I think he's going to leave this job pretty broken. He'll know he left something good. He'll know he's probably blown his chance at managing the "big six" and it won't happen again, and by extension the England job might now be out of the question for a long time, if ever. He'll know a lot of players at that top level will be nervous about him taking over their team now having seen what's happened at Chelsea. If Howe goes to England would Newcastle even glance at Potter these days? He's not a bad manager, but he's tainted now for sure. Wouldn't be surprised if he takes a break from management or works overseas for a bit and ends up at Palace (not joking).

My thoughts exactly. He knows that his temper got the better of him that week, he disrespected a fanbase to the media. But he’ll never in a month of Sunday’s admit that faux pas. Perhaps one day, when the autobiography “It Is What It Is” is published?

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
Michels, Paisley, Sacchi, Dettmar Cramer, Potter,
you have pleaded guilty to the charges brought by this court, and it is now my duty to pass sentence. You are an habitual criminal, who accepts arrest as an occupational hazard, and presumably accepts imprisonment in the same casual manner. We therefore feel constrained to commit you to the maximum term allowed for these offences: you will go to prison for five years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yeah quite poetic until they then come in for RDZ
Chelsea supporter on 6-0-6 last night saying they should bin off Potter and come in for RDZ.

And yet....and yet.....we can't beat teams we should of....teams like Brentford.

Is it not a funny old world?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here