[Albion] Potter in or out

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Potter, in or out?

• Total voters

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
I know there are always ifs and buts, but we don’t have the amount of possession or the number of shots that we are without the manager and the team, doing something right.

If March had buried his relatively easy chance and Maupay hadn’t got in the way of Dunk’s bullet header, then people may have been singing a different song today!

We have had the most shots of any team, outside of the top 6, yet scored one of the fewest - there is our problem. So all the bollox about us stroking the ball about and not shooting clearly isn’t accurate - unfortunately nor is our shooting!

We are currently ranked 6th in the division for big chances missed, again backing up the can’t shoot for toffee theory!

All the stats, with the exception of the most important one, goals, say we should be just outside the top 6...

Last edited:

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
He changes the team every game,

Good job at Sheff Utd

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I voted in but I do have concerns with GP. GP has a philosophy, at the start of the season it was working, but now sticking to that philosophy is sending us down. Picking a team to counter the strengths of each opposition is good in theory, but the team has been unsettled with many players not having a run in the team. I am concerned about the continued picking of Webster over Duffy, yes he can run with the ball but his decision making is awful, he passes to players who are surrounded by the opposition or loses the ball, when h runs out of defence he can get caught out of position. The breaking up of the Duffy Dunk partnership has been a disaster, but it fits into his philosophy. He has chopped and changed at RB, but when he has a solid and consistent LB in Bernardo he persists with the inconsistent Dan Burn.
The tight passing out of defence to cut open the midfield is something I like, but you need players to receive the ball with good control, the best players for this are Alzate (and Mooy who has lost form) but alzate does not get a consistent run. My greatest concern about CH was slowing down play, safety first approach. This now appears to be a GP approach, mooy was slow and ponderous on multiple occasions. We have no real width, and do not get behind teams.
Finally we have a player who was one of the players of the tournament in the South America Olympic qualifying tournaments in great form, he needs to acclimatise? For how long? Does not even make the bench. Is this arrogance from GP, he has to be coached in the potter way before he can be included?
Strangely enough I think potter would do really well at a top club, I think he has great potential but at present he his cutting off his nose to spite his face.

paulfuzz

Apr 17, 2019
Kings Lynn
Anyone remember how long it took Sir Alex to get it right at Utd?
We have a world class stadium, an awesome training facility, an U23 side that has some really exciting players coming through not to mention the quality shown by some of our players out on loan.
If the worst should happen all this will still be there and so will I!!!

GP definitely IN

bhadiv1

Apr 28, 2009
Saltdean
I am in the in camp, personally we are a better team this year, more positive (especially away from home). One criticism is Potter does seem to tinker too much.
After yesterday it is the first time that I now believe we could be relegated, albeit championship a great league. And if relegation means fair weather supporting with their half/half scarves leaving all be better.
All I do know is that when you team is struggling it the time when fans needs to get behind their team. On a positive note, I think we will beat Wolves next week (2-1), so things may look a bit rosier.
UTA

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
We have a world class stadium, an awesome training facility, an U23 side that has some really exciting players coming through not to mention the quality shown by some of our players out on loan.

GP definitely IN

All of what you mention is true, but how much of it is down to potter?
Which players have improved under potter? Although to be fair, lack of development. was an issue before he arrived.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Firmly IN camp here

The football I enjoy greatly and if we took one third of the good chances we created we would be half way up this league

Certainly not potters fault the players are not putting the ball in the net

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Firmly IN camp here

The football I enjoy greatly and if we took one third of the good chances we created we would be half way up this league

Certainly not potters fault the players are not putting the ball in the net

Who picks the players?

Who decides to boot out Andone and stick with a championship striker and 36 year old Muzza?

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
I'm IN but he needs to be clear on his tactical options and the best players for those options. If he doesn't nail this and quickly, I'm expecting us to go down. We do have the players to stay up.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

GP definitely IN

Patience and long term vision is not a strong point for football fans.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
All of what you mention is true, but how much of it is down to potter?
Which players have improved under potter? Although to be fair, lack of development. was an issue before he arrived.

Pretty well all of them look better footballers this season.

Sticking everyone behind the ball and defending most of the game is dinosaur tactics. We are no better than last season results wise but for this fan there is a MASSIVE difference in enjoyment in watching the Albion this season. We are just a few goals from players who have lost belief from climbing the table. Is it too late...maybe but I’m hanging in there.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Pretty well all of them look better footballers this season.

Sticking everyone behind the ball and defending most of the game is dinosaur tactics. We are no better than last season results wise but for this fan there is a MASSIVE difference in enjoyment in watching the Albion this season. We are just a few goals from players who have lost belief from climbing the table. Is it too late...maybe but I’m hanging in there.

It’s been an awful weekend but it’s not too late.
Other teams are in a similar position.
And you are right, we are creating chances.
The moment passed us by yesterday - an equally poor team, at home , there for the taking.
We can’t afford to do that Again I would say, as points from our tougher games may well be out of reach.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I want Potter to succeed. Love his footballing philosophy, love the style. But results have to be there ultimately. They really do.

So I’m very torn right now.

However we’re not out of this yet. Plenty of points to play for and we’ve done better against the footballing sides (Eg Spurs, Arse) so let’s see what GP gets by end of season.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Is it all Potters fault? No...But I'm on the fence as he's not yet proven to me that he's capable enough.

He’s got a poor Premier squad, but he is guilty of some basic errors like a settled team & not picking the players who are in form. We basically set ourselves up for this potential fall by not signing a proven Striker, not sorting out midfield pace issues, and buying unproven players.

The issues around Knockaert and Andone still rankle with me, you're a manager....MANAGE.

Last season was the warning, now we’re hearing the Alarm Bells loud & clear.

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Is it all Potters fault? No...But I'm on the fence as he's not yet proven to me that he's capable enough.

He’s got a poor Premier squad, but he is guilty of some basic errors like a settled team & not picking the players who are in form. We basically set ourselves up for this potential fall by not signing a proven Striker, not sorting out midfield pace issues, and buying unproven players.

The issues around Knockaert and Andone still rankle with me, you're a manager....MANAGE.

Last season was the warning, now we’re hearing the Alarm Bells loud & clear.

I thought GP was head coach not manager ???

Shouldn’t he have been appointed manager if we want him to manage?

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
In even if we go down. He’s managed to build a team that dominates possession and makes more than enough chances to win matches. It’s not his fault that we haven’t got players who are good enough to score goals at this level.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
In even if we go down. He’s managed to build a team that dominates possession and makes more than enough chances to win matches. It’s not his fault that we haven’t got players who are good enough to score goals at this level.

It really is that simple :thumbsup:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports