Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Potter in or out

Potter, in or out?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Perhaps we need a coach who can teach players to do this

I think we need to pay the going rate to get players to get the quality at this level. Then again you can take flyers on players who never have and cross your fingers. We take the second approach.

Stephen Seagull

Oct 6, 2015
Barcelona
The reason that we were told for sacking hughton was the poor run of form in 2019 (1 win during the calendar year)

That’s currently 1 win better than Potter, what standards are we holding ourselves to now?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
18% out? ???

Christ.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The reason that we were told for sacking hughton was the poor run of form in 2019 (1 win during the calendar year)

That’s currently 1 win better than Potter, what standards are we holding ourselves to now?

We may have lost or drawn some games we should have done better in, granted. No performance has come close to the shitfests against Bournemouth, Saints and Cardiff though. THAT was got CH the sack imo and if we finish this season in the same manner Potter will be gone too.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
FENCE/OUT - But then I would have sacked Houghton in October, as you could see what was coming.

Potter's problem IMO is team selection. Just pick a team and stick with it!!! 3 or 4 changes a game helps no one. No one can settle if he constantly changes things. If you are going to chop and change your team each week, you HAVE to produce results. And he's not. So as it stands its an out from me. He clearly isn't learning from his mistakes.

Strikers - His decision and his along to go with a First year premiership striker, an 18 year old, and a 37 year old, and loan out two strikers valued at £15m .

That said the squad just is not good enough. Maupay is clearly out of his depth at this level. Tries hard and will run himself into the ground, but lacks any composure in front of goal. Solly March, never was an never is a premier league player. One or two stand out games a season doesn't cut it. WTF we paid £20m for Adam Webster given the amount of talent we already had at centre back is a mystery. Doesn't look like a £2 million player most of the time.
Matt Ryan is probably the worst goalkeeper in the division. Above average shot stopper, lovely bloke, but what else does he offer? Very poor at commanding his area, distribution is poor, and lack presence. But certainly the best of a weak three.

But once again Uncle Tony trying to do things on the cheap. Should have learnt after Hypia. You get what you pay for. We paid top dollar for Houghton and he produced the best period in our recent history.

Up and coming manager is another way of saying "cheap" . If you want quality in the premier league, you have to pay for it. We don't.

Last edited:

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

Well the football has been a lot better. You hope that results will follow.

With the football we had last season there was no hope.

D

Deleted member 2719

Been off NSC for February.

Wasn't expecting the panic to have set in, with a 3 game unbeaten run before the Palace match.
Is it a virus???

We did dominate them in every area apart from goals.

So we are hardly in a position to even think about changing a manager, 25 shots at home in a derby, has this ever happened before?

Potter is the man, but he needs some of the guys to get their shooting boots on.
With a GD of just -8, it shows we are no walkover.

We will be fine if you back the lads vocally, now is the time to give everything as a fan to gain that extra bit to take us over the line, if you are going to turn up and whinge it will not help the youngsters like Maupay on the pitch.

Seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeagulls.

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
Or did the club fail to provide CH/GP with a quality replacement to Muzza, and a midfield of small technicians who very rarely score?

I have said it repeatedly on here that people do not realise how difficult it is to sign players who have PL quality.

The PL has more money sloshing around it than anywhere else (with the possible exception of China) - and if you want quality you have to pay. I suggested a long time ago that just to stand still you need to spend £60-70million a year on transfers and to make 'progress' up to £100m - and even then it is not guaranteed. Even then - if you are a bottom half club you will tend to get players that are borderline PL/Championship standard. You hope that you hit a good one every season and that the other couple you buy will at least be competent, but if you don't succeed in doing that, then eventually the weakness of your squad will bite you in the ass.

The reason I was against the sacking of Hughton is because he knows hope to keep a team in the PL with limited resources - managers like that are few and far between. Hiring Potter at this level was an unknown - he had no experience - and he now has to figure out how to turn things around.

I do think that Brighton are good enough to stay up - and there is no guarantee that Hughton would have kept the club up either - but Potter is starting to run out of time and there is a few tough games coming up. He needs a good result somewhere to try and get a bit of momentum.

Diablo

NSC Patron
Sep 22, 2014
lewes
I have said it repeatedly on here that people do not realise how difficult it is to sign players who have PL quality.

The PL has more money sloshing around it than anywhere else (with the possible exception of China) - and if you want quality you have to pay. I suggested a long time ago that just to stand still you need to spend £60-70million a year on transfers and to make 'progress' up to £100m - and even then it is not guaranteed. Even then - if you are a bottom half club you will tend to get players that are borderline PL/Championship standard. You hope that you hit a good one every season and that the other couple you buy will at least be competent, but if you don't succeed in doing that, then eventually the weakness of your squad will bite you in the ass.

The reason I was against the sacking of Hughton is because he knows hope to keep a team in the PL with limited resources - managers like that are few and far between. Hiring Potter at this level was an unknown - he had no experience - and he now has to figure out how to turn things around.

I do think that Brighton are good enough to stay up - and there is no guarantee that Hughton would have kept the club up either - but Potter is starting to run out of time and there is a few tough games coming up. He needs a good result somewhere to try and get a bit of momentum.

Winning our next two home Games against Arsenal and United should do the trick !
may be pushing our luck winning the next two Liverpool and City !!

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Reading back on NSC fans views of our season so far.

Lots of positive comments initially but the words now shouting from the pages & pages of opinions is the same.
Potter hasn’t the players to play his style of football. With a top six squad he may have a chance of being totally correct in his approach, but he’s working with a squad full of Championship players (at best) so what he’s trying just won’t work.

Potter doesn’t appear able to adapt & pick a consistent team to take to the field each week, some players are dropped when playing well which is just dumb (Barnardo, Murray, Montoya, Duffy) and some play nearly every game when playing poorly (Mooy, Trossard, Propper, Webster).
ps We know Duffy has had issues lately with injury & a bereavement.

Calling Mac Allister back and paying £600k to release him but then not playing him is bizarre to say the very least. WTF??
Then there’s the formation, it constantly changes so no player is settled into a style. Subs are made randomly & usually too late to effect games in most cases, although it just about worked away at West Ham.
Overall the picture isn't great, a lot of fans and pundits seeing us as one of the relegated teams, and in reality you can’t really blame them.

I’m gonna finish with as positive a tone as I can Muster.

We have got good players in our squad, we can play well and we have got passion in some quarters too, this needs to be on show now until the end of the season.

We CAN pull ourselves out of this mess, we need consistency from the coach & the players need to play on or near the top of their game with chances taken rather than squandered like yesterday.
We’ll get behind the team as fans come what may, the Great Escape has been a feature of ours for many years now, let this be our time to show how resilient we are as a club once again.

Albion100

Jan 4, 2013
Patcham
I don't know what everyone is complaining about. The football is so much better and entertaining than last season and that's obviously much more important than staying up.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I wish Potter had had the balls to REFUSE the contract extension. He should have said 'no thanks, Tony, we haven't achieved anything yet, let's stick with the original program'. I even feel it may have changed the dynamic between Potter and the squad (??). But, it's still an 'IN' from me.

Brightonfan1983

Tiny member
Jul 5, 2003
UK
This is a great little article, about what it might be like to be fan of a 'super club', and what they're missing out on.

Includes the belting paragraph: "Midas tried to flee his riches, hating what he had wished for. Finally, tortured by his hateful gold, he raised his arms to the heavens and begged forgiveness and Bacchus sent him to the source of the River Pactolus to wash away his cursed blessing." which applies to how a lot of us seem to be feeling about our mighty Seagulls at the moment.

"What, in the end, is happiness?"

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don't know what everyone is complaining about. The football is so much better and entertaining than last season and that's obviously much more important than staying up.

I’d take going down playing entertaining football, over the solid percentages football of Dyche and Wilder any season.

We’ve made loads of media/pundit friends this season. That has to be worth something in itself.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
This is still salvageable, we need a slightly more settled team and we we need a few things to go our way. I’m crossing some fingers and keepIngs the faith.

If we go down though, I wouldn’t back us on coming back up with Potter.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here