• Fence

Votes: 59 13.2%

• Total voters

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Like you, I'm an in man.
But when should we sit back and hold on to that lead? At 1-0? And have fans slating us for playing defensively after 20 minutes and have turgid football. Or should we push for 2-0? And possibly open ourselves to an equaliser. Then at 1-1, what do we do?
Thats why none of us are managers, although a lot think its an easy thing to do.
I think GP made some mistakes last night re subs but I recall a game recently where the subs made all the difference and people were raging about how he changed the game with them. Yes, Wet behind the ears is probably not a bad analogy, he certainly gets it right somedays but not all days, just as long as he doesnt stay wet forever.

I’m not saying that GP should listen to fans about tactics, he clearly doesn’t, why should he.

Just that my view is that part of our downfall (2 seasons of tight relegation struggles, this season about 1/2 the wins of Leeds, Stains & CP), is that there’s only one strategy and overriding tactic. Attacking football in big numbers, pushed up, a passing game.

Whether we’re winning or not, no matter if it’s the 35th or 85th minute.

Game management is passing and to try to attack in numbers.

Managers and ex-players often discuss game management.

I think we’re naive.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Still fence for me. I've been in and out all season. I'm sure GP can be a winner somehow/somewhen/somewhere, but it aint happening here right now.

We have the players to be comfortable IMO, and GP's dream style would have us comfortable, but the two aren't meeting in the middle . . . . Therefore he's failing.

This. Nails it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I’m not saying that GP should listen to fans about tactics, he clearly doesn’t, why should he.

Just that my view is that part of our downfall (2 seasons of tight relegation struggles, this season about 1/2 the wins of Leeds, Stains & CP), is that there’s only one strategy and overriding tactic. Attacking football in big numbers, pushed up, a passing game.

Whether we’re winning or not, no matter if it’s the 35th or 85th minute.

The game management is just pass and try to attack in numbers.

Managers and ex-players often discuss game management.

I think we’re naive.

He is still a rookie PL manager and he does make mistakes. He’ll either get the sack and disappear into the lower leagues or abroad or he’ll stay and continue trying to improve us. If he does become a complete and experienced manager at PL level he’ll move on.

Do I prefer see us going out and trying for a 0-0 with our only hope of victory or a draw from a breakaway or trying to extend a lead once we’ve taken the lead. No brainer for me. Two of our last three defeats have come from player errors and not manager ones. If we’d hung on for a draw I imagine most would have been quite happy, and nobody would be moaning about naivety.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
100% out. Sorry Graham it hasn’t worked out for you & us.

Anyone that votes IN really hasn’t got any ambition for the club.

So with that logic, Tony Bloom has no ambition for the club?

Yeah, I get losing when playing well hurts, but football fans up and down the country are so fickle about their teams, when they win, they are great and the manager is brilliant and when they lose they are shit and the manager needs to go.

The fact is, no matter what us fans feel and think, Tony Bloom IS keeping Potter, and rightly so IMO, and the Potter "outers" need to get used to it.

We will stay up, and next season it will all click and we will be flying and threads and poster will be bounced and ridiculed.

I don't usually let results bother me, but the last 2/3 games have effected me which in turn, affects my family around me with my mood. It doesn't last for long, as I remember that there is a bigger picture and we couldn't be in better hands with Bloom and Co and trust them whole heartedly that they want the best for this club.

I think because we have not been allowed to be in the stadium and get all the pent up frustration, of a bad result out there and then, it bubbles away inside and we can't process it well and just sits there whilst we are with loved ones, and it comes out.

The moral of this post, All Football fans are fickle, me included, but we really need to trust Bloom and Co a lot more and wait for the European charge* next season.

*Light hearted humour.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
The thing is, many of them have been brought in under his watch with Ashworth leading the operation and Potter’s own recruitment man in the team. Let’s look at last night’s starters. Potter’s idea to bring in Sanchez and we all broadly agreed. He is going to make the odd clanger as he learns but his first half save was wonderful.

Potter brings in and keeps White. I think we all agree. Burn is NOT a left back, or Premier League quality.

Veltman is class.

Bissouma is our best player and Gross is preferred as a creative midfielder to, say, Moder who is new. Lallana is a Potter signing. Ditto Mac, Trossard, Maupay.

On the fringes Potter and Ashworth have insisted on blooding Connolly, signing Welbeck and bringing in Zeqiri and bringing home Tau to warm the bench.

We are cursed that the three players who lead the charge from the back in March, Lamptey and Webster are all out and that’s certainly not down to the coach,plus two of them are great signings. You can argue that only Gross, Biss, Dunk & March remain from the Hughton team and they’re four of our best players

Brining in those players and trying to play that football with them isn’t a glowing endorsement of the philosophy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mac isn’t a Potter signing.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I had a look and most teams in and around us don’t have a poll on the manager going after every game. Certainly don’t see Fulham having one after they narrowly lost to Spurs who are miles below Leicester in the table or Burnley having one after getting spanked by Spurs.

What’s the matter with us, when did we become such entitled xxxxxxxxx

Well said.

But important to remember it’s only a minority of our fanbase who do this.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He is still a rookie PL manager and he does make mistakes. He’ll either get the sack and disappear into the lower leagues or abroad or he’ll stay and continue trying to improve us. If he does become a complete and experienced manager at PL level he’ll move on.

Do I prefer see us going out and trying for a 0-0 with our only hope of victory or a draw from a breakaway or trying to extend a lead once we’ve taken the lead. No brainer for me. Two of our last three defeats have come from player errors and not manager ones. If we’d hung on for a draw I imagine most would have been quite happy, and nobody would be moaning about naivety.

I know exactly what you mean. But:

This isn’t a binary choice of 0-0 CH hell or GP poor man’s Guardiola total football. I’m saying that if we have a precious lead against a team with threats, adjust to give the defence more cover. As soon as the second half started, we could see Tielemens & co attacking Dunk at will. Veltman being overloaded.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Yes, but player errors are also linked to strategy. Risk taking is a strategic decision as well as an individual one. Perhaps instructions to players can be tweaked so that they are making more ‘safer’ decisions in certain circumstances. That’s game management. If Potter can deviate from his strategy he can keep us up. It’s his decision.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Yes, but player errors are also linked to strategy. Risk taking is a strategic decision as well as an individual one. Perhaps instructions to players can be tweaked so that they are making more ‘safer’ decisions in certain circumstances. That’s game management. If Potter can deviate from his strategy he can keep us up. It’s his decision.

Good luck with the game management when you are playing the team second in the table who are pulling tired payers all over the place and the goalkeeper makes a bad error in the 88th minute.

I doubt we’d have kept them out if we’d gone full on defensive after their equaliser, we are no Burnley. It is what it is, some teams are much better than us when they hit their stride. Yesterday was in no way comparable to the Palace game, where in fairness both their total of two shots were quality goals. Shit has happened quite a bit this season and questioning the manager’s tactics every time is as wearing as losing the games for me :shrug:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Good luck with the game management when you are playing the team second in the table who are pulling tired payers all over the place and the goalkeeper makes a bad error in the 88th minute.

I doubt we’d have kept them out if we’d gone full on defensive after their equaliser, we are no Burnley. It is what it is, some teams are much better than us when they hit their stride. Yesterday was in no way comparable to the Palace game, where in fairness both their total of two shots were quality goals. Shit has happened quite a bit this season and questioning the manager’s tactics every time is as wearing as losing the games for me :shrug:

Also could be mentioned that Leicester are absolutely dirty in the last quarter.

leicester.jpg

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham

So what were the excuses for:

West Brom @ home

Burnley @ home

Southampton @ home

Sheff Utd @ home

Arsenal @ home

Wolves @ home

Fulham @ home

Villa @ home

Palace @ home

FFS! :ffsparr:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
So what were the excuses for:

West Brom @ home

Burnley @ home

Southampton @ home

Sheff Utd @ home

Arsenal @ home

Wolves @ home

Fulham @ home

Villa @ home

Palace @ home

FFS! :ffsparr:

Yeah so depressing to lose ALL of those games and be spending all season in the bottom three

You ARE entitled aren’t you??

I expected us to be in the relegation mix before the season even began, so it’s absolutely no surprise that we are. At least we are not stinking the division out and play good football

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here