• Out

Votes: 98 21.9%
  • Fence

Votes: 59 13.2%

• Total voters

Ethelwulf

Apr 6, 2020
West Worthing
Ok we agree on that [emoji106] losing to Leicester, there’s no shame in that.

But that’s exactly why a poll like this right after such a game is idiotic.

It was done to protect Icy

But at least it makes for a debate and we can see how fickle some fans are

Least people like you stay loyal to GP no matter what the result and the GP must go still want him out even after a win its the others that make this thread good debate

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
Out. Has no personality. Comes off on the pitch too. Hughtons football was better as at least you could see the effort (except his last 2 months).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That’s a really good way of putting it actually. “Wet behind the ears”.

I really worry for him being so loyal to Maupay. Overly so. He puts a lot of faith into our game through him.

An idealist.

But without the financial doping of ManC, I’ve belatedly come to believe that he needs to also coach a bloody mindedness in defence, defending in numbers, to see out leads to wins. The EPL is full of managers who’d do anything to get that win, they’re street wise. Even Ancelotti who played with and coached the best has abandoned his old principles at AC Milan, RealM and Bayern, now orchestrating high balls to a gaggle of giants, exploiting the squealing and diving of Richarlison, players surround the ref.

We seem very Corinthian and naive.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Hughton after a poor 5 months: “He must go!”

Potter after a poor 15 months: “He must stay!”

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham

It was the right time for CH to go. Letting him stay would have been a huge gamble but before that last five months we played good football for over two years.

The weird thing with the Potter cult is that there seems this very weird belief that there aren’t plenty of managers across the world who could do better. It’s very very odd.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
trouble is Potter got enough from the team in January to convince everyone he'd turn the corner, alas a false dawn. stuck with him now, with sufficiently shit enough below to get away with it again.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
It was the right time for CH to go. Letting him stay would have been a huge gamble but before that last five months we played good football for over two years.

The weird thing with the Potter cult is that there seems this very weird belief that there aren’t plenty of managers across the world who could do better. It’s very very odd.
A lot of that imho is the way the line is constantly spun about how wonderful we are. Barber's programme notes these days are basically a column to say 'we are right about Potter, the critical supporters are hysterical.

And yet you see Palace with their crap squad, tactics and dinosaur manager 8 points clear of us and you have to wonder. Not to mention newly promoted Leeds or 2nd season syndrome Villa smashing it.

Very strange. There's a lot of potential but it's really no more than that so far.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

I get the support in that Potter has been brave to get us to play in an expansive style which is better to watch. Most fans want to see us succeed in this change of style and mentality. However, there does come a time when you have to mix it up a bit and grind out a few results, even if they are draws. It works for Burnley and Palace.
Today was one of those games. We didn't, we lost, again.
At home we just need to be a harder team to play against, getting draws and a few wins. It's not asking the earth. Play expansively at times and defend deep when you have to. We've lost the 'you shall not pass' mentality.
We've also lost the mentality of working harder than the opposition. We did that numerous times last season but we just seem to have lost our ability to put more hard yards in than the opposition, which is what I see with Fulham in that they are full of energy every game. We seem to have lost that spark, and are rapidly losing our belief.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
A lot of that imho is the way the line is constantly spun about how wonderful we are. Barber's programme notes these days are basically a column to say 'we are right about Potter, the critical supporters are hysterical.

And yet you see Palace with their crap squad, tactics and dinosaur manager 8 points clear of us and you have to wonder. Not to mention newly promoted Leeds or 2nd season syndrome Villa smashing it.

Very strange. There's a lot of potential but it's really no more than that so far.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Its pretty much Barbers job to be positive about the club. Sure, some supporters (or followers) got nothing positive to say about any part of the club but as the CEO he cant really have that approach.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Interesting isn't it ? So there must be something that folk put thought to here.

Dave Fishwick

Feb 28, 2021
London
Still Potter in of course.

We didn't create as much tonight but we controlled the game I thought for an hour - poor defending/goalkeeping for both goals but that's not on Potter and the players in question have arguably won us points at some point so swings and roundabouts

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto

This is what I don't understand. People seem to think Potter is the only manager that could get us to play nice football and be 16th in the table. I'm not Potter out and I don't think he'll be sacked but if Tony decided to part ways with him at the end of the season, we would be a very attractive option for some very good managers.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It’s as simple as this:

From another thread

We’ve won 5 games from 27 in our fourth consecutive season in the league, of course we deserve to go down.

Failing to get a single win against Fulham, Sheff Utd and WBA is horrific.

The three at the bottom got less points and less wins though. If Brighton deserves to go down, which one of them deserves to stay up and why?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
I've always been Potter-in since GP arrived and remain so, for now at least. It was a refreshing change from what we had before.

But no manager should ever have carte blanche when footballing philosophy is measured against hard results and found wanting.

If we go down, I'd expect GP to do the decent thing and resign as somehow I don't believe it's Tony's aim for us to be relegated under GP's management.

If we stay up, I'd expect Tony to do the decent thing and back Potter with enough money to sort out the forward situation and avoid a repetition of this year.

Game by game, it's clear to see that many forwards we have either aren't good enough for the Premier League, or aren't able to be improved with coaching.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
If we got rid, which we won't, who would we bring in? I can't think of one potential candidate. I've seen Rafa and Lucien Favre mentioned on here, both of which obviously wouldn't happen. Do any of the out-ers have realistic suggestions?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
In obviously.

Just need to get through this season.

As long as we stay up, hopefully he will be given a budget in the summer. Just a few pieces short of a masterpiece.

I hope you are right here. I am eying that spintery old fence.

I am starting to wonder about our mentality out there. Getting beaten is one thing but we are losing to everyone. This is not just the lack of a striker, this is a glitch in the teams mental strength.

Still in, but creeping towards that fence.

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
Best football in 40 years watching us but at the same time the most frustrating. But he can't shoot for the players or make the killer pass for them. He has his faults for sure (took ages to rectify conceding from corners and freekicks every game...yes tonight I know), some subs are very odd (Mac off but Trossard who was pony tonight remaining + Ali Jizz getting near the pitch too often) and I would like him to go ballistic sometimes (not his style). But if he can get a decent front man or two we would be a fantastic team.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here