Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Portsmouth v Southampton - League Cup, Tuesday (on Sky)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
How can anyone compare our rivalry?

I’m still embarrassed today with our FA Cup turnout against our TOXIC rivals! What was it? 14,000 including the away end?

Yeah 12k Albion, 2k Palace. That was not long after the league game so a lot of people I spoke to assumed the police would be kettling everyone and it would be a nightmare to get home afterwards. Personally I went and took my kids.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
The stories of dock strikes and broken pickets are an urban myth.
There is an excellent detailed article explaining the history of the rivalry written in The Athletic on 19 Sept by Carl Anka.

Cheers for that, just went and found it. It's a good read.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Seeing that video reminded me of an occasion probably during the 70s when we played at Mansfield and a supporter from one of the teams kicked a horse so the rider went after him and grabbed him by the hair and carried/dragged him to the police about 100 yds away by his hair. His feet were not touching the ground and he was screaming at the pain but it served him right.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

I’m still embarrassed today with our FA Cup turnout against our TOXIC rivals! What was it? 14,000 including the away end?

Yeah, imagine the crowd if it has been in a really tin pot competition....

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
If Portsmouth fans behaved themselves then I said I'd come on here and give them some credit. It must have been very hard to lose 4-0 on your own patch against your arch-rivals and not kick off after big-time against Stains or the police so fair play.

#stilltwats

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Laughable post.

It’s not laughable

Don’t underestimate the effect of not playing each other. When we first started playing Palace again after being in the wilderness it was pretty crazy, same when Rangers played Celtic again after being relegated down the leagues. The craziest auld firm ever.

Once you start playing each other 2 or 3 times a season, it’s increasingly harder to muster the effort it takes to be outraged at the existence of the other club. It would be the same for Pompey and Soton if they were in the same league for a few seasons.

Absence doesn’t make the heart grow fonder for football fans.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013

Think of it as a tribute to the esteem we have for Croydon's finest. Perhaps most people just don't care very much about them and aren't obsessed with a few punch-ups in the 1980s. I expect the crowd versus Villa tonight will be similar...

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
It’s not laughable

Don’t underestimate the effect of not playing each other. When we first started playing Palace again after being in the wilderness it was pretty crazy, same when Rangers played Celtic again after being relegated down the leagues. The craziest auld firm ever.

Once you start playing each other 2 or 3 times a season, it’s increasingly harder to muster the effort it takes to be outraged at the existence of the other club. It would be the same for Pompey and Soton if they were in the same league for a few seasons.

Absence doesn’t make the heart grow fonder for football fans.

I get all of that, but I've been following the game since I was 7 or 8 and in those 40 years there hasn't been a single Portsmouth v Southampton game that hasn't sold out. Not one. On the other hand, I've been to many many Palace games where the ground was half full. Just 8,025 in 1984 at Selhurst, about 14,000 at the Goldstone in 1985. Even in the play off semi six years back there were 2,000 empty seats at Selhurst.

Plus that Hampshire rivalry goes well beyond football whereas Brighton has absolutely no wider rivalry with Croydon.

The Brighton Palace rivalry is feisty but it isn't close to the Hampshire one - that's just the way it is.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
Who says people aren’t taking that into account? (your last sentence). Dress it up how you like, but, as much as it pains to say it, we just don’t have fans of the calibre of those at Fratton; no way would the Amex be anything but pretty much empty by the 80th minute, let alone after 5 minutes of injury time at 0-4 down against Palace and one of the biggest indictments of our calibre of support was the attendance for the cup game you mention, that yes was a school night, we’re in the same division etc. but 14k for that tells you everything about our fan base. Had it been the league cup it would have probably been nearer 10k. Yes a very negative post, and apologies for it, but take off the blue and white glasses a second.

The fans that would’ve gone last night would’ve been, mostly, their hardcore and because of the smaller ground were a lot more obvious to see, maybe about 16,000 of them.

I thought the cup game against Palace would’ve had a bigger crowd, but it can’t be compared with last night’s game. We’d played Palace very recently and a lot of people were put off by the thought of trouble. We have a lot of fans who live outside of Sussex, so I can forgive them for not turning up because it was a night game and the train company said there would be a strike. I already mentioned other factors that make it more difficult at The Amex in another post, so I think it is a lot more understandable if fans leave early than most other grounds. It would be the same it Portsmouth’s ground was situated off Fratton island. The fact we had 12,000 turn up shows the very good loyalty of those fans, not the opposite.

A lot of the fans you are saying that aren’t of the calibre of Portsmouth’s, because they didn’t go, post on here.

You should also remember that Palace only had about 13,000 for a LEAGUE game against us in The Championship.

Anyway, if we had the same circumstances as last night then I think we would’ve had a similar, if not bigger, crowd as Portsmouth did and most fans would’ve stayed.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
I get all of that, but I've been following the game since I was 7 or 8 and in those 40 years there hasn't been a single Portsmouth v Southampton game that hasn't sold out. Not one. On the other hand, I've been to many many Palace games where the ground was half full. Just 8,025 in 1984 at Selhurst, about 14,000 at the Goldstone in 1985. Even in the play off semi six years back there were 2,000 empty seats at Selhurst.

Plus that Hampshire rivalry goes well beyond football whereas Brighton has absolutely no wider rivalry with Croydon.

The Brighton Palace rivalry is feisty but it isn't close to the Hampshire one - that's just the way it is.

I would say it’s as fierce, but on a smaller scale. I think Palace vs Brighton is the second biggest police operation the Met have for football. You only have to see the stories from Palace fans about how mental our fans were when we won 1 nil up there to see what it means.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here