Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Portsmouth v Southampton - League Cup, Tuesday (on Sky)

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
And sadly had that been us down 0-4 at the Amex against Palace the home stands would be very sparsely populated. An impressive show by the Pompey fans, relatively few empty spaces at full time.

So would that have been if both fans were in the same league. It was a good show of support but it’s mainly cos they’re 2 leagues below they haven’t left / got the major hump etc I feel. I loved beating the scum in the league cup a couple of years ago :)

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
So would that have been if both fans were in the same league. It was a good show of support but it’s mainly cos they’re 2 leagues below they haven’t left / got the major hump etc I feel. I loved beating the scum in the league cup a couple of years ago :)

FA Cup! I got as close to the scum as possible and got loads of stick when they equalised. We all know what happened after that. What a night.

But yeah, if we had the same sort of circumstances as tonight, then I’d have no doubt that the ground would remain pretty full till the end with great support. Still, The Amex is a lot more difficult to get away from than Fratton Park. I don’t know why people don’t take this into account.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
FA Cup! I got as close to the scum as possible and got loads of stick when they equalised. We all know what happened after that. What a night.

But yeah, if we had the same sort of circumstances as tonight, then I’d have no doubt that the ground would remain pretty full till the end with great support. Still, The Amex is a lot more difficult to get away from than Fratton Park. I don’t know why people don’t take this into account.

[MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] has a point about Pompey fans. I wouldn’t have been as loyal and stuck around at 0-3 etc.

But you’re quite right about the Falmer site. As much as the Amex is great, leaving on 88 minutes or similar will always get you home 30 minutes earlier or far more than that when travelling by park n ride or train. Otherwise you join the back of extremely long queues. Not sure about the car parks?

Those staying for even more pints of beer in the concourse after each match are unaffected by that.

BeHereNow

Mar 2, 2016
Southwick
[MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] has a point about Pompey fans. I wouldn’t have been as loyal and stuck around at 0-3 etc.

But you’re quite right about the Falmer site. As much as the Amex is great, leaving on 88 minutes or similar will always get you home 30 minutes earlier or far more than that when travelling by park n ride or train. Otherwise you join the back of extremely long queues. Not sure about the car parks?

Those staying for even more pints of beer in the concourse after each match are unaffected by that.

So, if we’re in League 1, Palace in the PL and we haven’t played them for 7 years you would leave at 3 nil? You can’t be sure of that, but I wouldn’t say that wasn’t loyal. You would be incredibly frustrated and disappointed, but not disloyal of you did leave. Still, fair play to the fans that stayed at Portsmouth, but considering The Amex difficulties, I think a decent amount of our fans would stick around in similar circumstances.

Another thing with The Amex is that you have to wait outside for ages, so when we’ve lost you always have to deal with away fans gloating, so in that respect you can forgive fans for wanting to avoid that by leaving a bit early, especially in the Palace defeats. I don’t think it takes loyalty to stick around in those situations, but it definitely takes some mental strength. I came so close to walking out in that play off defeat, it was heart breaking. Knowing that leaving early would save me from the Palace gloating at me was a tempting thought.

With that being said, I still think leaving early when we are winning on a Saturday is a bit ridiculous, unless you really need to be somewhere. **** knows what people were thinking of when they left the Burnley game early. I think that is bad support.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I can see Portsmouth winning this. Southampton are shit, the worst team I’ve seen in the PL this season. They’re just looking comfortable in the table because Andone gifted them three points.

This ignores the fact that Pompey are currently slumped 20th in the 3rd division. There's PL shit, and there's, well, outright shit. I'm mildly irritated as I had Soton to win with Ings getting the LAST goal, but hey ho. Only a couple of quid.

As for the troglodyte Pompey fans - good grief. Those front few rows were infested with such a horrific bunch of deformed braying baseball-capped ratboys, it was like staring into the abyss of the End of Days. Where do these wretched, spittle-festooned, tattooed T-Max'clad cuntwaffles secrete from ? Some horrific harridan must somehow spawn them. A bit like when you finally see the queen Alien squeezing out those gruesome slimey eggs all covered in snot and jizz. They're not born - they're hatched.

Long may they languish in the noddy leagues. Nobody wants to see them gracing a proper division any time soon.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Here's hoping Bensgrandad's Spurs don't get their poop together over the next 2 weeks.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
So, if we’re in League 1, Palace in the PL and we haven’t played them for 7 years you would leave at 3 nil? You can’t be sure of that, but I wouldn’t say that wasn’t loyal. You would be incredibly frustrated and disappointed, but not disloyal of you did leave. Still, fair play to the fans that stayed at Portsmouth, but considering The Amex difficulties, I think a decent amount of our fans would stick around in similar circumstances.

Another thing with The Amex is that you have to wait outside for ages, so when we’ve lost you always have to deal with away fans gloating, so in that respect you can forgive fans for wanting to avoid that by leaving a bit early, especially in the Palace defeats. I don’t think it takes loyalty to stick around in those situations, but it definitely takes some mental strength. I came so close to walking out in that play off defeat, it was heart breaking. Knowing that leaving early would save me from the Palace gloating at me was a tempting thought.

With that being said, I still think leaving early when we are winning on a Saturday is a bit ridiculous, unless you really need to be somewhere. **** knows what people were thinking of when they left the Burnley game early. I think that is bad support.

What I don't get at the Amex is the amount of people who head down into the concourses a good 3, 4, 5 minutes before half time. When I watch other games on telly I always notice that, on the whole, most grounds stay pretty full up to the half time whistle. The Amex, like full time, is half empty with a few minutes to go till half time - and for a good few minutes after. Are our fans just more desperate for a half time pint than others!? It's not a big problem of course, but it does always kill the atmosphere in the build up to and first few minutes after half time

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019

Who says people aren’t taking that into account? (your last sentence). Dress it up how you like, but, as much as it pains to say it, we just don’t have fans of the calibre of those at Fratton; no way would the Amex be anything but pretty much empty by the 80th minute, let alone after 5 minutes of injury time at 0-4 down against Palace and one of the biggest indictments of our calibre of support was the attendance for the cup game you mention, that yes was a school night, we’re in the same division etc. but 14k for that tells you everything about our fan base. Had it been the league cup it would have probably been nearer 10k. Yes a very negative post, and apologies for it, but take off the blue and white glasses a second.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
:thumbsup:

Stupid is as stupid does.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Who says people aren’t taking that into account? (your last sentence). Dress it up how you like, but, as much as it pains to say it, we just don’t have fans of the calibre of those at Fratton; no way would the Amex be anything but pretty much empty by the 80th minute, let alone after 5 minutes of injury time at 0-4 down against Palace and one of the biggest indictments of our calibre of support was the attendance for the cup game you mention, that yes was a school night, we’re in the same division etc. but 14k for that tells you everything about our fan base. Had it been the league cup it would have probably been nearer 10k. Yes a very negative post, and apologies for it, but take off the blue and white glasses a second.

In fairness, they really do have very little else to live for.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
This ignores the fact that Pompey are currently slumped 20th in the 3rd division. There's PL shit, and there's, well, outright shit. I'm mildly irritated as I had Soton to win with Ings getting the LAST goal, but hey ho. Only a couple of quid.

As for the troglodyte Pompey fans - good grief. Those front few rows were infested with such a horrific bunch of deformed braying baseball-capped ratboys, it was like staring into the abyss of the End of Days. Where do these wretched, spittle-festooned, tattooed T-Max'clad cuntwaffles secrete from ? Some horrific harridan must somehow spawn them. A bit like when you finally see the queen Alien squeezing out those gruesome slimey eggs all covered in snot and jizz. They're not born - they're hatched.

Long may they languish in the noddy leagues. Nobody wants to see them gracing a proper division any time soon.
Reminded me of a Fantasy Football League episode where, I think, Le Tissier was the guest. One of these inbreds in the audience could not help with the Scummer guff. "Think you might be overdoing the scummer chant" I think was the reply.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
How can anyone compare our rivalry?

I’m still embarrassed today with our FA Cup turnout against our TOXIC rivals! What was it? 14,000 including the away end?

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Reminded me of a Fantasy Football League episode where, I think, Le Tissier was the guest. One of these inbreds in the audience could not help with the Scummer guff. "Think you might be overdoing the scummer chant" I think was the reply.
And by the magic of Youtube.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Off the pitch, i'm going to guess that Southampton have the same sort of hoolie dynamic in their supporter base as us. No more than a dozen ageing meatheads with a deep voice and love/hate on the knuckles. They did probably once see a fight in the 70's but have spent the last 40 years in a pub next to a betting shop telling the decreasing number of people prepared to listen that they were leading the vanguard. Their number is supplemented by 100 or so eight stone 15 year olds who sing lustily about winning fights that happened many years before they were born. Pompey are a different kettle of fish. They have several thousand who have either never worked or don't have the sort of job where it would matter if they were arrested and charged with assault. If I were a Soton fan i'd keep my head down.

On the pitch, comfortable Southampton win

You really are showing that you know nothing about the topic you are spouting about.

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Really?

They go way way back to dock strikes, when Southampton broke the picket, hence Scummers.

Southampton love Pompey the same, calling Pompey The Skates.

The Skate being the fish that has the same vagina feeling, closest to a woman, when shagged. They reckon the Pompey sailors would nail the skate to some wood and shag it.

The stories of dock strikes and broken pickets are an urban myth.
There is an excellent detailed article explaining the history of the rivalry written in The Athletic on 19 Sept by Carl Anka.

If you enjoy reading quality in-depth articles about football that have different angles to the main stream press I would recommend giving The Athletic a try.
I find the best thing about it is discovering what is going behind the scenes at other clubs rather than just reading match reports.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
as much as it pains to say it, we just don’t have fans of the calibre of those at Fratton
We get over 30k fans at matches, while there were few that 19k at Pompy yesterday, so sure, Pompy would have had a higher percentage of hard-core fans there.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Portsmouth v Southampton is no comparison. A one off very local Derby and biggest game for Portsmouth for years. Once again all this rubbish about early leavers that I have seen at many grounds. I could park within 10mins of Withdean and Goldstone and never left early. Amex is a pain to get to and will continue to leave early when result is not in doubt as it cuts journey home by up to an hour.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here