Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth now in the relegation zone

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
is it joe fans fault though?

In this case yes - why did they take no action after the first administration or the second ? No, they were happy to ride the wave of Premiership football and turn a blind eye to how their club was being run.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
They should start again as AFC Pompey or something and work their way back, indeed I know a couple of Pompey fans who want just that to happen.

And then they won't be able to sing,"You've never won f*** all" at us, because neither would they have.

Mind you that will be in 10 to 20 years time unless they can get through to the 3rd round of the FA cup proper.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
And then they won't be able to sing,"You've never won f*** all" at us, because neither would they have.

A pedant (like myself) would point out the double negative in that chant.

i lived in portsmouth for 10 years when we were at our lowest ebb. I would estimate i got sympathy from around 20% of people i told i was a brighton fan - the rest thought us going out of the league and losing our ground was a bit of a laugh.

So, you should be able to understand us having a chuckle now the boot's on the other foot.

so because they were:tosser: ITS OK FOR US TO BE:tosser:
OK GOT IT:thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Rev, your sentiments are noble, as always, but this club is taking the piss. 3 times now and not ONE lesson learned.
That's just meaningless. It's like saying Archer didn't learn.
I lived in Portsmouth for 10 years when we were at our lowest ebb. I would estimate I got sympathy from around 20% of people I told I was a Brighton fan - the rest thought us going out of the league and losing our ground was a bit of a laugh.
Fair enough, obviously a lot of scum over there.
is it joe fans fault though?
No it isn't. If anyone on this board happened to have been a Pompey fan (sick thought, I know), nothing would be different.
In this case yes - why did they take no action after the first administration or the second ? No, they were happy to ride the wave of Premiership football and turn a blind eye to how their club was being run.
Sure they were happy to ride the wave, who wouldn't be. But that is not the reason they are now in the shit. They have a different owner who came along to rob the club of it's assets, and there's nothing the fans can do about it. There was no action the fans could take to change it. Your point is like a Palace fan coming here and saying we did nothing to stop Archer selling our ground (ie, equally bollox).

so because they were:tosser: ITS OK FOR US TO BE:tosser:
OK GOT IT:thumbsup:
It's not often I agree with you rev, but in this case, you're right.

The problem is, the owners can do whatever they like, and there's nothing fans can do about it. When the owners live in England, we can go and stand outside their house and protest, and hope it makes them change their mind. When the owners are asset stripping from the comfort of their home in the far east, your protests will mean nothing. One of the Pompey owners didn't even exist.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Sure they were happy to ride the wave, who wouldn't be. But that is the not reason they are now in the shit. They have a different owner who came along to rob the club of it's assets, and there's nothing the fans can do about it. There was no action the fans could take to change it. Your point is like a Palace fan coming here and saying we did nothing to stop Archer selling our ground (ie, equally bollox).

It's not often I agree with you rev, but in this case, your right.

The problem is, the owners can do whatever they like, and there's nothing fans can do about it. When the owners live in England, we can go and stand outside their house and protest, and hope it makes them change their mind. When the owners are asset stripping from the comfort of their home in the far east, your protests will mean nothing. One of the Pompey owners didn't even exist.

Yet if you read "Build a Bonfire" you'll see there IS something fans can do about it but only if they can be bothered.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
BUT our circumstances were VERY different than Portsmouth's.
No they're not. Pompey are not in the shit due to overspending to achieve success, they are in the shit for the same reason we were. They're being robbed.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yet if you read "Build a Bonfire" you'll see there IS something fans can do about it but only if they can be bothered.
Remind me what can be done, and how that would work for Pompey?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I'm happy to revel in Portsmouth's on-field woes, and am quite comfortable with that being considered smug.

Quite apart from the legal / financial / ethical arguments that they 'deserve' to suffer, I just think that they have been woefully mis-managed in a FOOTBALL sense as well. The squad they had should not have found itself relegated from the Prem. Nor should the squad they had last season have been at the foot of the Chanpionship. Nor should their current squad be even in the bottom half of L1. A succession of terrible managers, doing a brilliantly shit job. The excuse of the off-field stuff being a distarction is just that - an excuse.

i'm happy to revel in portsmouth's on-field woes, and am quite comfortable with that being considered smug.

Quite apart from the legal / financial / ethical arguments that they 'deserve' to suffer, i just think that they have been woefully mis-managed in a football sense as well. The squad they had should not have found itself relegated from the prem. Nor should the squad they had last season have been at the foot of the chanpionship. Nor should their current squad be even in the bottom half of l1. A succession of terrible managers, doing a brilliantly shit job. The excuse of the off-field stuff being a distarction is just that - an excuse.
Never expected anything less from you sir:thumbsup:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Never expected anything less from you sir:thumbsup:

Good.

I feel no discomfort in the fact that PFC's woes continue, because I honestly believe that winding them up and the fans starting a phoenix club, really is, not just the right thing to do, but the best thing for them. The few Portsmouth fans I know, are of the same mind.

good.

I feel no discomfort in the fact that pfc's woes continue, because i honestly believe that winding them up and the fans starting a phoenix club, really is, not just the right thing to do, but the best thing for them. The few portsmouth fans i know, are of the same mind.

tbh thats what i wanted for the albion during the darkest days,i do feel gutted that a few people in the wrong place can upset so many,imagine if the mods on this board upset the thousands of good honest nsc users?:moo: What a crime that would be.:(

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton

The other way to look at it is that we were very fortunate to have people like Paul Samrah etc doing something about.
Of course that wouldn't allow for as much sneering from those with Southampton sympathies. :facepalm:

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
And when the enemy can't be bothered,YES IT WAS A GREAT EFFORT BY ARE FANS BUT NOT THAT MANY TOOK PART THOUSANDS JUST DIDN'T GIVE A TOSS.

Not that many took part ?? Really ??

Anyway, even when the press highlighted issues at Pompey, the supporters complained the press had it in for the club. I'm sure [MENTION=10202]Not Andy Naylor[/MENTION] will be able to reprise you of the "sticking their collective heads in the sand" attitude of Pompey fans.

I really don't care if it makes me smug that the first result I look for after ours is the Pompey one and reveling in their latest loss !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here