Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portsmouth new signing (yes, really)

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
In the 80s down here it was almost like that and how we've paid for it since.

Yes. That's the point. We have paid for it. By spending years and years at hovels like the Pissfield and Withdean. By nearly being relegated from thr Football League. Twice. By having Archer & Bellotti in charge of our club, and by never being able to really compete at a decent level all the time we were stuck at Withdean.

Pompey, on the other hand, have paid absolutely nothing (& none of our players have ever, ever been on anything like £90k a week like Sol Campbell was. In fact: none of them are on the £20k a week they signed TWO players for last year whilst STILL IN ADMINISTRATION. All this shit about their fans suffering: how? How have they suffered?? By being relegated from the PL? Well big bloody deal...are you getting out thr mourning suit for every club that gets relegated from the PL or is it just Pompey you have a peculiar sympathy for? Because they might drop into League One? Ouch, how terrible for them...oh...wait...you do know twelve teams get relegated every season across the leagues don't you? Why are they so special that they merit sympathy if they go down?

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
The thing I dont understand is, when Palace were forced into Admin and Niel Warnock left, they bought in Paul Hart to be temp manager and to assist him the got Dougie Freedman in, then they had a striker shortage Freedman who was still a regerstered player (for Southend) was not allowed to register as a player for Palace, because they were in Admin???

I know this case is about the Palace but why the difference??

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Yes. That's the point. We have paid for it. By spending years and years at hovels like the Pissfield and Withdean. By nearly being relegated from thr Football League. Twice. By having Archer & Bellotti in charge of our club, and by never being able to really compete at a decent level all the time we were stuck at Withdean.

Pompey, on the other hand, have paid absolutely nothing (& none of our players have ever, ever been on anything like £90k a week like Sol Campbell was. In fact: none of them are on the £20k a week they signed TWO players for last year whilst STILL IN ADMINISTRATION. All this shit about their fans suffering: how? How have they suffered?? By being relegated from the PL? Well big bloody deal...are you getting out thr mourning suit for every club that gets relegated from the PL or is it just Pompey you have a peculiar sympathy for? Because they might drop into League One? Ouch, how terrible for them...oh...wait...you do know twelve teams get relegated every season across the leagues don't you? Why are they so special that they merit sympathy if they go down?

ABSOLUTELY THIS!!! I am stunned that some people do not still get it. Watch the Withdean years dvd and look at the evidence when we didn't have any money we made the managers work with scraps and what we could afford and no more. The likes of Taylor, Coppell, and McGhee were forced to work with their hands tied behind their back all the time, and they still ACHIEVED success. Pompey have never even considered going straight throughout this whole sordid episode. The fact is they could have managed themselves more sensibly but continued to laugh in the face of more responsible clubs. As EK has said what is the worse that has happened to them so far, struggling in the championship, well boo friggin too! Like I care.

One thing that is pissing me off about this whole discussion is how people seem to be airbrushing the careful management of our club and the heroic actions of the fans back in the dark days out of history, as if we survived because we were lucky. Well we didn't survive because we were lucky, we survived and thrived because we fought bloody hard over a period of YEARS. Not by crying our eyes out at the last minute when it was too late and and the chickens had finally come home to roost.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
ABSOLUTELY THIS!!! I am stunned that some people do not still get it. Watch the Withdean years dvd and look at the evidence when we didn't have any money we made the managers work with scraps and what we could afford and no more. The likes of Taylor, Coppell, and McGhee were forced to work with their hands tied behind their back all the time, and they still ACHIEVED success. Pompey have never even considered going straight throughout this whole sordid episode. The fact is they could have managed themselves more sensibly but continued to laugh in the face of more responsible clubs. As EK has said what is the worse that has happened to them so far, struggling in the championship, well boo friggin too! Like I care.

One thing that is pissing me off about this whole discussion is how people seem to be airbrushing the careful management of our club and the heroic actions of the fans back in the dark days out of history, as if we survived because we were lucky. Well we didn't survive because we were lucky, we survived and thrived because we fought bloody hard over a period of YEARS. Not by crying our eyes out at the last minute when it was too late and and the chickens had finally come home to roost.

100% in agreement.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
Edna & Hotchillidog have it right. But all of that on its own would not be enough for me not to have sympathy with the fans. (if you see what I mean!)

I was almost brought to tears by the constant heart rending appeals by Pompey fans week after week for the last few years. All raising awareness for their plight and galvanising the support base and the wider football world into their aim to form a community club and rid them of faceless foreign (no) money men. The marches, the petitions, the poems, the fans united match, the tireless fund raising etc.........

Is it sinking in?

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

Post of the day.

Today is a particularly happy one for me as for about 3 years I had to work with a Pompey fan who was such a condescending tosser it is hard to describe.

Every time (and I mean EVERY time) I saw the knob at work he'd say in a faux homosexual voice 'Poor old Brighton'... not that annoying you would imagine, but try hearing it for the 200th time...

As a avid away follower he'll be at The Amex today... and he can see what we spent our 100 million on while they wasted theirs on few good years at the top. I bloody hope I bump into him on the train - I will hardly be able to contain myself!!

Mug.

hoveboyslim

Feb 7, 2004
Hove
Their fans have done and are doing f*** all about their situation. They weren't moaning when they won the FA Cup were they? The club deserves everything that's coming for them, and in the long run, will do themselves and football a favour if they drop out of the league and reform.

The whole problem with football is that as long as a club is successful the majority of fans don't give a toss where the money is coming from. It may do football a favour if they dropped out of the league but I don't think their supporters would agree.

Barn Door Billy

Feb 19, 2012
Somewhere near Reading...
I can't believe that they can sign this guy. I have great sympathy for Pompey fans, they have done nothing wrong and nothing different to what any fan would do, but the club should not be able to behave as they have

I agree, I have nothing against the fans as they are the ones who suffer the most (we should know...), but I do despise the club itself. the way it is run is a disgrace to football.

Mileoakman

Aug 11, 2003
The name gives it away

•Boston United - April 2007
•Leeds United - May 2007
•Luton Town - November 2007
•Bournemouth - February 2008
•Rotherham United - March 2008
•Darlington - February 2009
•Southampton - April 2009
•Stockport County - April 2009
•Crystal Palace - January 2010
•Portsmouth - February 2010
•Plymouth Argyle - March 2011
•Portsmouth - February 2012
•Port Vale - March 2012

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not sure why everyone's going mental and talking about paying creditors instead. They're not paying for his wages so what's the issue? May not be fantastic to see it happen but hardly worth getting worked up about and calling them cheats over this incident alone. Everything else yes, but this? Not so sure...

It's about FAR more than just this though isn't it. Every club who has ever heard that their team cannot bring anyone else in as they don't have the money to improve the squad, can feel slightly CHEATED by this. Pompey have been living off the creditors money for years, and just do it again, and again and again.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
So, as I understand it, portsmouth are getting other teams to pay their players wages, and getting use of other teams players for free.

Is this any fairer than signing players you can't actually afford?

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
So, as I understand it, portsmouth are getting other teams to pay their players wages, and getting use of other teams players for free.

Is this any fairer than signing players you can't actually afford?

If they can find other clubs willing to do it then what's wrong with that? They're not exactly getting club's first choice players are they?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here