Portsmouth new signing (yes, really)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Because Pompey's spending was so extravagant, so grossly disproportionate to their very obviously small income levels, they were quite clearly taking the piss and spending money they didn't have. Not unlike Leeds- but even Leeds got 40,000 crowds to vaguely justify their gamble.

Can you imagine the Albion signing a string of players for £90k per week tomorrow? On gates of 20,000 or so?

seven stands

May 25, 2006
hastings
Apparently he was 6th choice striker at Derby - hardly a replacement for the overpaid Lawrence. 40+ clubs have gone into admin in the past 15 years or so, many of them more than once. All were living beyond their means, not quite sure why the extreme vitriol towards Pompey from some. Football finances in general urgently need looking into, Coventry, Forest and others are on a knife edge too. It's a mess.

Name 7

krakatoa

Jan 21, 2010
HOVE
Do you really think Chelsea and Man City's wages and fees are sustainable either or even Fulham's, if it wasn't for their rich foreign owners? And do you think the fans really know or care how the accounts look?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Because Pompey's spending was so extravagant, so grossly disproportionate to their very obviously small income levels, they were quite clearly taking the piss and spending money they didn't have. Not unlike Leeds- but even Leeds got 40,000 crowds to vaguely justify their gamble.

Can you imagine the Albion signing a string of players for £90k per week tomorrow? On gates of 20,000 or so?

In the 80s down here it was almost like that and how we've paid for it since.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
The average Portsmouth fan has absolutely no control over their club. In the same way as we didn't in our dark days. So banter is good but to hope they go out of business is frankly disgusting.
Their fans have done and are doing f*** all about their situation. They weren't moaning when they won the FA Cup were they? The club deserves everything that's coming for them, and in the long run, will do themselves and football a favour if they drop out of the league and reform.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
In the 80s down here it was almost like that and how we've paid for it since.

We didn't cheat the taxman to win a trophy or get false payments from Sky TV... fundamental difference.

I hope they are wound up and start again back in the Combined Counties as per Aldershot and Wimbledon (although neither of those cheated).

This is the only club in pro football I have no respect for, and they don't deserve a status. They still have a 30k per week player on their books!!! I'll stop because it makes me angry.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
We didn't cheat the taxman to win a trophy or get false payments from Sky TV... fundamental difference.

I hope they are wound up and start again back in the Combined Counties as per Aldershot and Wimbledon (although neither of those cheated).

This is the only club in pro football I have no respect for, and they don't deserve a status. They still have a 30k per week player on their books!!! I'll stop because it makes me angry.

As El Presidente pointed out in a previous thread, to a certain extent we've been lucky. Unlike you - I don't extend my hatred towards their fans and I'm surprised you have respect for MK Dons but each to his own.

To me this is 100% the fault of the authorities. Portsmouth should never have been allowed to get in this situation because as we have learnt, football clubs are often completely incapable of protecting them from themselves.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
As El Presidente pointed out in a previous thread, to a certain extent we've been lucky. Unlike you - I don't extend my hatred towards their fans and I'm surprised you have respect for MK Dons but each to his own.

To me this is 100% the fault of the authorities. Portsmouth should never have been allowed to get in this situation because as we have learnt, football clubs are often completely incapable of protecting them from themselves.

Everyone's fault EXCEPT Portsmouth FC... yeah whatever. And because I don't name every historical club that bought their way in or out of the Football League is a little pedantic on your part. Bloody 'authorities', why didn't they stop Portsmouth paying 50k a week to their players.... I wonder what other businesses 'authorities' get involved in?

PS: Who are these 'authorities' you talk of?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
I just think it's unbelievable that they are allowed to sign anyone, on loan or otherwise.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I just think it's unbelievable that they are allowed to sign anyone, on loan or otherwise.

They're still cheating their way through the Football League with FA sanctions. How can this be an 'emergency loan' exactly? If he scores the winner tomorrow I am seriously cutting up my season ticket... cheats do prosper.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
[MENTION=865]clapham_gull[/MENTION] the real heart of my question is which authority should have been running a business on their behalf... can you please tell me?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
[MENTION=865]clapham_gull[/MENTION] the real heart of my question is which authority should have been running a business on their behalf... can you please tell me?

Well ok, seeing as you can take the 'pedantic' higher moral ground to try to belittle me... let me see if I can understand your '100% the fault of the authorities' stand point. Portsmouth FC Ltd or whatever they are called are a wholly owned private Limited company. I myself own a wholly private Limited company, this isn't a scenario, I really do. So, what you are saying is that if my company went under I have total absolution for that said company going under. It is NOT my fault, it is this authority you talk of. And said authority is 100% to blame for ALL Limited companies going into administration, for cheating the HMRC, local business and their fans? Portsmouth FC are blameless and should be allowed to continue trading? And even though the administrators admit that they may not see it to the end of the season they can still sign players on? I couldn't give a monkeys right nut if this was Portsmouth FC Ltd, Pissoff Ltd, PlasticRus Ltd or any other company... the fact of the matter is, this football club has been defaulting for years and they have to actually take the blame, and for people to actually suggest it is everyone's else's fault BUT Portsmouth FC I would find laughable if I didn't feel so angry about it. If you can still tell me why it is other people's faults I'd be grateful to read.

seagull_special

Jun 9, 2008
Abu Dhabi
So Birmingham and Coventry are under a transfer embargo but neither are in administration. Portsmouth have been bailed out by the Football League to the tune of £200,000 per month in payments which is against the rules. They are the only premiership club ever to go into administration and upon getting out of administration they immediately started paying players ten of thousands per week. They owe money to other clubs around the world who's progress has been halted. The fans think they have a god given right to be rescued and call Poyet every name under the sun because he says teams who cheat should be relegated and says its fine for us to be talking with our millionaire owner, swanky stadium and top players, when we lived within our means for 15yrs in league 2 and 3 without ripping off our own community. I would never wish for a club to go out of business but if I had to choose one it would be this disgraceful apology for a club and as for 'fit for purpose' the authorities should hang their heads in shame.

m20gull

Jun 10, 2004
Land of the Chavs
If we'd won the cup in 83 would we be as bad as Pompey ???
No. We paid for the cost of that team eventually. No administration, no defaulting on payments, no emergency loans from the Football League.

When we owed money to HMRC we sold our best players; we campaigned for planning consent to improve the value of the ground so that our debts were covered by our assets;when we were owned by dodgy owners we fought to get them replaced.

The club was then run in debt to its directors to keep it going to where it is now but we spent three years fighting; two years at Gillingham and another 12 years at Withdean.

None of our creditors seems to have lost anything. Portsmouth's spending of the last two years has just ensured that creditors from their second administration will not even get what they were promised last time.

So "No".

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
I can't believe that they can sign this guy. I have great sympathy for Pompey fans, they have done nothing wrong and nothing different to what any fan would do, but the club should not be able to behave as they have

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports