Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portslade and the 'chav towns' of Sussex

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Go onto Zoopla and you will be shocked at the house prices in Portslade. Especially south of the old Shoreham Road.

I think it's a bit too simple to equate house prices with 'a great place to live', and I'm making no slight on Portslade before anyone takes offence but there are some less attractive areas down here that I'm sure command higher prices than similar houses in decent areas of my home town. Not sure what that says about the property market but....

More broadly, some of the comments here and on the linked site are outrageous. Apparently you can criticise Portsmouth for 'the poverty'!! How dare those people of Portmouth be poor.....

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Durrington seems to have gotten a lot nicer in the last 10 years or so, before they redeveloped Tesco they had a pub on it (forget the name) which was renowned as being a place full of ‘character’. I was also told that the deliveries to the Tesco at the time used to get attacked by the local kids.

Durrington High’s been revamped (as has the Tesco there) and the area seems more placid, I've heard a couple of instances relating to the Lamb in recent years but unsure if that points to anything.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Portslade suffers a bad press but is mostly okay. There is only the occasional chavalanche on Boundary Road these days...:cool:

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I probably shouldn't have looked at this thread but feel that it reflects more on some of the contributors than on the residents of so-called 'chav' areas. Personally can't stand this sort of inane stuff. I'll get my coat..................

Big_Unit

Sep 5, 2011
Hove
Crawley is vile, I moved here two years ago for work reasons and I can not wait to move again

There was an acid attack, An ACID attack outside the cinema a couple of weeks ago.

I grew up in Crawley. It sucks massive balls. I hate the very mention of the place.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
[MENTION=616]Guinness Boy[/MENTION] ....

Let me get the Pringles first.

I can barely be bothered these days TBH.

I moved back to Portslade thanks to the marvels of the property market and fully expected to hate it. TBF I did for the first couple of years but that's because I'd been living in Sydney, then upmarket districts of Tokyo and Taipei and then a flat in the centre of Hove. Several years later I love it. The community spirit is fantastic, we've made some really good friends, kids' school is fine and I'd argue there are THREE good pubs (not been in The Stanley for a while though so not sure what's going on with it). You can get a seat on a rush hour train, it's a nice quick trip to the Amex and we're almost equidistant between our friends who have three tousle haired children, a piano and a BMW and our nearest discount jazz mag and White Lightning emporium. What's not to like?

St Leonards and Crawley however......

Jan 30, 2008
I won't say it isn't rough and there was some nasty incidents when I lived there, but I never had any problems and wasn't scared of walking the streets even at night.
Most days nothing happened and people just got on with their lives.
plenty of CCTV in the area, seems to be an influx of foreigners in the area:rolleyes: also the CHURCH IN whitehawk HANDS OUT FOOD PARCELS:(
regards
DR

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Can only think you are describing about 2 or 3 roads in South (lower) Portslade. The rest of the area is relatively pleasant!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here