Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Portslade and the 'chav towns' of Sussex

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The article makes accusations of copious drugs, cheap booze and bad dentistry.

That's EVERYWHERE in England

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Odd comparison, Worthing is a town and Whitehawk is a deprived council estate in Brighton.
I used to live in Whitehawk and I can't say it was scary walking the streets, nothing like West Street on a Saturday night.

Don't know much about Worthing but it must have a council estate.
I just remember delivering parcels for a little while in Whitehawk shortly after a poor youngster had been stabbed to death in a presumably a chav dispute. It just seemed to be a rough area that I was happy to get away from. Even some of the local shops had metal railings to protect them from vandalism.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Can't believe no-one has mentioned Hastings as yet, what a f*cking dump.

Just to balance the eternal East/West Sussex debate I will also call out Littlehampton as somewhere you really don't need to go...

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I just remember delivering parcels for a little while in Whitehawk shortly after a poor youngster had been stabbed to death in a presumably a chav dispute. It just seemed to be a rough area that I was happy to get away from. Even some of the local shops had metal railings to protect them from vandalism.

I won't say it isn't rough and there was some nasty incidents when I lived there, but I never had any problems and wasn't scared of walking the streets even at night.
Most days nothing happened and people just got on with their lives.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Can't believe no-one has mentioned Hastings as yet, what a f*cking dump.

+ Eastbourne.

Can't believe Portslade is being labelled as a Chav Town.
The only fairly grim part of the area is just West of Fishersgate station but that's not even too bad compared to Whitehawk, Scoomb and even parts of Hangleton.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I lived in Foredown Drive, Portslade from 1963 till 1976. Portslade was lovely.

Mind you, the 'toy shop' at he top west end of boundary road, by the A27 junction, had to be one of the chavviest nightmare shite holes of all Christendom. The smell in there was positively extreme, like baked beans fermenting on a dead man's chest. Anyone else remember it? And the owner, a shouty woman of grotesque visage, made this 'local shop' look like Harrods.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
For a place that has just gone through the biggest growth in house prices in the south over the last 18 months, Portslade is far from desperate. Areas south of OSR and most of the village is very nice indeed.

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
+ Eastbourne.

The only fairly grim part of the area is just West of Fishersgate station but that's not even too bad compared to Whitehawk, Scoomb and even parts of Hangleton.

Isn't The area west of Fishersgate Station Southwick ?

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I lived in Foredown Drive, Portslade from 1963 till 1976. Portslade was lovely.

Mind you, the 'toy shop' at he top west end of boundary road, by the A27 junction, had to be one of the chavviest nightmare shite holes of all Christendom. The smell in there was positively extreme, like baked beans fermenting on a dead man's chest. Anyone else remember it? And the owner, a shouty woman of grotesque visage, made this 'local shop' look like Harrods.

Toys N Togs.

Grew up in Portslade, I was back there last month. The house prices around Norway St. have certainly shot up. The Railway Inn formerly the Whistlestop is a great pub now.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Toys N Togs.

Grew up in Portslade, I was back there last month. The house prices around Norway St. have certainly shot up. The Railway Inn formerly the Whistlestop is a great pub now.

Toys n togs. Yes indeed. Benfield or St Nicks?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
+ Eastbourne.

Fishersgate is not part of Portslade infact its not in the same county being in West Sussex

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here