Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Pompey tossers

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
BBC Sport - Football - Stoke end interest in Portsmouth keeper David James

Stoke don't want David James any more because they won't pay all of David James's wages.

It really does make you wonder how much Portsmouth were paying him rather than question whether Stoke are being tight arses. Surely I'm not alone in this?

Portsmouth are a f***ing disaster. They have a shit ground, average players on silly money and they're going down, and not to mention their other financial woes.

Good times.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
£40K per week I read. And if they play him so many games - he gets an automatic contract for next year. Meantime he is not playing. Stoke tried to get something for very little - don;t blame them really.

Portsmouth are in a right mess.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Didn't they have John Utaka on something insane like £80,000 a week at one point?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
With you Simster, those inbred fucks deserve all of this. They had a squad of about 50 players when they brought their way out the championship. House built on sand !!

Those twat supporters they interviewed on Meridian saying "we are pompey , we love the roller coaster ride blah blah blah = wankers !!

Suffer in hell Pompey

Sonic The Hedgehog

Oi Lino You're A Disgrace
Jul 7, 2003
Wetherspoons, Fareham
This was a disaster waiting to happen as soon as Redknapp started signing players on huge wages with little or no sell on value.

He then conveniently bailed out before the brown and mucky hit the fan.

wigman

Oct 10, 2006
East Preston

Stoke don't want David James any more because they won't pay all of David James's wages.

It really does make you wonder how much Portsmouth were paying him rather than question whether Stoke are being tight arses. Surely I'm not alone in this?

Portsmouth are a f***ing disaster. They have a shit ground, average players on silly money and they're going down, and not to mention their other financial woes.

Good times.

I heard the wage bill at Sh*tsmouth was 3m a month and their highest earner was on 80k a week.They deserve all whats coming to them.

Silent Bob

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Dec 6, 2004
Didn't they have John Utaka on something insane like £80,000 a week at one point?
Allegedly, yes.

A lot of the simpler pundits frequently ask "where the money's gone", which is a bit annoying. They never had it, they bought and paid players with loans, now they have to be paid back.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly

Good times.

Does depend on the proportion though which we will not be party to. Presumably they wanted to offload him to save the weekly wage bill and if Pulis was playing hardball then it was no deal. May be Stoke are to blame?

Methinks you have a 'hate' complex for the Portsmouth.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
This situation amuses me.

Agreed.

If teams are not going to meet the demands for James, then he might be advised to buy himself out of his contract or at least come to come agreement with Pompey and find himself another team. Always liked the fellow, but that was irreversibly damaged by joining Portsmouth.

Simon Morgan

Oct 30, 2004
Oxford
According to my STH mates, they had the 4th highest wage bill in the Prem the year after their FA Cup win. More than Arsenal. I think this is the real problem, because to be fair, they have actually recouped a lot of the transfer fees through the sales of Muntari, Diarra, Crouch, Defoe, Johnson, Krancjar etc etc. However, the way they artificially elevated themselves above their station is really killing them now.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Pompey still owe money for buying Glen Johnson, a player they have since sold to Liverpool for 17 million quid.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
Its a terrible situation, especially for James himself.

Pompey won't play him, because they can't afford to give him a new contract, which they will have to do if he plays any more games.

Surely it would be better for Stoke to be paying a part of his wages, if only to save a bit on the wage bill.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Their Chief Exec is also the 2nd or 3rd highest paid in the Premiership. (When he does get paid)

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
If James plays two more games his contract for next season will be activated acording to The Times.

Stoke wanted Pompey to cover some of James' salary but Portsmouth are refusing.

It's a shitty situation - but the fact is they got to the top by borrowing money they couldn't afford.

Perry Milkins

Just a quiet guy.
Aug 10, 2007
Ardingly
Its a terrible situation, especially for James himself.

Pompey won't play him, because they can't afford to give him a new contract, which they will have to do if he plays any more games.

Surely it would be better for Stoke to be paying a part of his wages, if only to save a bit on the wage bill.

But if they are taking the P and say only offering 10%..is that credible?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here