Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POLL: Do you think Gus will start with Barnes tuesday?

Do you think Gus will start Barnes tuesday?

• Total voters

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I believe, I and 25,000 other spectators would go along with your appraisal. Sadly, he's having a torrid time and was embarrassingly bad yesterday and the kindest thing would be to give him a rest from 1st team football for a while. The biggest flaw in Gus's approach is his determination to play him when he's struggling. I'd love to see Dobbie and /or Hoskins start in his place on Tuesday. There is really no justification for his inclusion after yesterday. His errors and misses have a demoralising affect on the rest of the team. As a team, we were brilliant yesterday. It was the most one sided match I've seen in this division yet our failure to capitalise on so much possession cost us yet more points. I really hope Barnes is rested so we can assess a full contribution from Dobbie or Hoskins ( or both). fact is we are not winning matches we are dominating, so how much longer can we afford to persevere with Barnes and CMS when it obviously is not working.
Don't speak for me re appraisal.

Do you realise what you said? 'His errors and misses have a demoralising affect on the rest of the team. As a team, we were brilliant yesterday. It was the most one sided match I've seen in this division'. So they were so demoralised that they were brilliant in the most one sided match you have seen in this division!

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
Depends if he's interested in winning, if not then he'll start with Barnes.

Yeah because we've never won a match with Barnes in it. Oh, wait... You really are an interesting take on a "supporter" aren't you?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
If Barnes doesn't start it will have more to do with the fact that he's on 4 yellows than his performance yesterday. Off topic but related, Murray is definitely suspended on Tuesday so will be back on Saturday.

Mr Burns

Aug 25, 2003
Springfield
I would love to answer, but it seems [MENTION=249]edna krabappel[/MENTION] is in the habit of issuing warnings for those you mention Barnes because it annoys her, so I will pass.

jackcgull

Feb 1, 2008
Amersham
I reckon Buckley will be on the bench. Three in a week could too much of a risk for him. If Barnes plays he will give his all as usual.

bernardo

Nov 2, 2012
Why not?. He's been the top scorer and is not playing as center forward. The game could have finished 5 or 6-1 against a side that's been 17 years? in a row at the top flight. I watched amazing football against a more experienced side. Come on Seagulls! Try to enjoy the game tomorrow!.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Too much is made of Barnes's defensive duties. We are at home. Other players can offer the defensive cover we need. The argument may hold more water for away games - but at home we can sacrifice some defensive cover (if indeed that is indeed what actually happens). Time for a change.

And do not let him anywhere near another penalty.

Eddie Bee

Feb 3, 2009
Shoreham by Sea
I feel he will be dropped to the bench. He does get through a lot of hard work for the team, but because of his attacking play on saturday (devoid of confidence probably reads NSC) and his penalty miss Gus will drop him and he will come on and score.

Craig4004

Aug 30, 2011
Peacehaven
He won't start. Gus has always said that squad rotation will happen, and the fact that Barnes played SO bad on Saturday, I think it's a givern that Dobbie will start. Hopefully AEA and WB will be back too, as much as Painter did a job on Saturday, he didn't look at all comfortable dribbling with the ball and decision making was slow.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
I want Barnes to start because everything he did on Saturday was good, except obviously the finishing (the rebound from the penalty miss was a shocker). I think Gus will take him out of the firing line though as it was obvious that a lot of 'fans' were being quite vocal in their hatred of him. Dobbie and Hoskins deserve a start as well. Expect Barnes to start vs Palace though.

I reckon Buckley will be on the bench. Three in a week could too much of a risk for him. If Barnes plays he will give his all as usual.

Not a bad shout actually, Buckley was a little quiet on Saturday and we could really do with him being at full fitness for Saturday. Front three of Dobbie, CMS and Hoskins tomorrow?

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
I hope he starts. He gets back and defends and people are moaning at his bad shots on Saturday, but CMS wasn't exactly taking his chances either. At one point CMS went to have a shot, miss hit it and sort of passed it about 3 yards wide of the goal. Why is it that when Barnes doesn't have his best game people moan about him, but when CMS doesn't have his best game people don't notice. Barnes will get back on form soon and people will still be moaning about him. Perhaps you moaners should start supporting the players, rather then continually criticising them?

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
1 game off to make a point then he'll be back

This sounds incredibly harsh but I'd make him come out at half time and take pens with a young keeper at half time infront of the north stand, then give him the ball next one in a match if I'm convinced he's the best I've got. He might take a bit of stick but hopefully put 80% plus away and then on a match day the pressure should be easy in comparison to a quieter half time stadium where he can actually focus on individual crowd members with no other distractions. Break or cure lol

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Poyet did state in the after match chat that Barnes will not be taking penalties...he didnt state a time frame though

Gus has been here 3 years and in all that time we have not had a clear and coherent penalty strategy.
( So don't expect any change there! )
Can any team in all four divisions have been through more different penalty takers in that time?
Murray, Barnes, Wood, Dicker, Harley, Vicente, CMS, Dobbie etc.
Is it any surprise that our conversion rate is so poor.
But Gus knows best. Thats why he keeps playing Barnes and after an appalling miss v Leicester that cost us at least a point he lets him take another one v Bolton. Why? Because he was trying to help one of his favoured players regain some confidence. Piss poor management.
Players out of their depth and struggling for confidence should be dropped. Barnes is a Div1 player at best and his lack of technique is exposed time and time again by the clever players at this level. Good first touch, accurate passing, solid tackling and sound temperament are all pre-requisites at this level.
Ashley Barnes has none of these.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here