Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POLL: Do you think Gus will start with Barnes tuesday?

Do you think Gus will start Barnes tuesday?

• Total voters

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I could seeing him having a midweek off and feeling fresh and ready for a physical encounter on Saturday. It could be Lopez who takes his place, a hard worker in his own right, whilst Buckley comes as very much the second front man. I hope Buckley keeps his fitness though as his breakaway power away from home is vital and i want to see him out-Zaha Zaha with his gambolling authority and dink-n-sprint otherworldlyness.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Can you elaborate on that please? Why do you think he has the edge?

Basically, Macca would have gone for the far post when Hoskins had the chance to make it 2-0. I will have to see it on the highlights again. When Macca headed against the bar, Hoskins might not have been there? Or he might have headed it over?

I have not seen that much of Hoskins though. Macca has got that chasing energy to put defenders under pressure. If Hoskins had scored the second goal, I just might have changed my mind.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
You make out in your post that Dobbie plays as much as Barnes which is so way of the mark. I've only seen Dobbie play cameo roles and not enough to give my verdict so your assessment is flawed.

It is a much to do with at the near post the striker uses his left foot which Barnes cannot do. So if the players are near even in ability/usefulness, it might be good to choose a right footed striker in Macca to pair up with a left footed striker. As we have not scored at the near post since I can remember, it may does not really matter. Different players. Barnes is good at running into positions whereas Dobbie hangs around the edge of the box (so does Lopez for what little I have seen of him).

I am tired now Barnes infuriates me; but in 4-3-3 unless the central defender is excellent (e.g Whittingham) there is a hole in the left side of defensive midfield which Bridcutt cannot cover on the right and Painter cannot on the left (although Bridge might or playing only 3 defenders) so Barnes fills the gap when Hammond goes forward.

Dobbie does not deal with this so well (if at all, did not need against Ipswich) and Charlie Austin does not defend at all as far as I am aware: just wanders around scoring goals!)

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Dobbie does not deal with this so well (if at all, did not need against Ipswich) and Charlie Austin does not defend at all as far as I am aware: just wanders around scoring goals!)[/QUOTE]

I dont think people would like this wandering around bit lol

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Thought that was the job of centre forwards to just wander around and try and lose their marker and score. Andy Cole, Shearer, Rush etc were brilliant at just wandering about :)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I think that Gus will start with him but IMHO his next start should be in Dec 2013 at the earliest and the next penalty that he takes should be even further away than that. Having said that I would definitely have him on the bench in case.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Basically, Macca would have gone for the far post when Hoskins had the chance to make it 2-0. I will have to see it on the highlights again. When Macca headed against the bar, Hoskins might not have been there? Or he might have headed it over?

I have not seen that much of Hoskins though. Macca has got that chasing energy to put defenders under pressure. If Hoskins had scored the second goal, I just might have changed my mind.

So regardless of your fist paragraph, if hoskins scores all that goes out the window.

Its all hypothetical. How could you possibly know what either of them will do????

Personally i think they are two very different players. Hoskins is more hold up that CMS who likes to run onto things. There can be no playing comparison between the two other than Hoskins will suit our system and CMS doesnt.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I think that Gus will start with him but IMHO his next start should be in Dec 2013 at the earliest and the next penalty that he takes should be even further away than that. Having said that I would definitely have him on the bench in case.

Poyet did state in the after match chat that Barnes will not be taking penalties...he didnt state a time frame though

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Poyet did state in the after match chat that Barnes will not be taking penalties...he didnt state a time frame though

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012

Incase of what ? The others on the bench all pulling muscles warming up on the side line !!

u'vebeenamexed

Whateverhappenedto.......
Sep 23, 2011
Hove-By-The-Sea
I think that the time has come for Dobbie or Hoskins to get the nod ahead of Barnes (who I generally like as a player but can see his shortcomings). However, Gus does rate his defensive abilities and I can see him starting with Barnes and seeing how he goes until half time.

Ward1971

Oct 24, 2012
I think that the time has come for Dobbie or Hoskins to get the nod ahead of Barnes (who I generally like as a player but can see his shortcomings). However, Gus does rate his defensive abilities and I can see him starting with Barnes and seeing how he goes until half time.

Gus making a change at half time ??? Lol lol

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
No , Bridge will be back so he wont be needed as support for Painter.

Mar 10, 2006
All this talk about barnes covering for full backs would actually be negated if we took the chances that we create in the opening half hour of the game and put the game to bed.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here