Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

POLL: Do you think Gus will start with Barnes tuesday?

Do you think Gus will start Barnes tuesday?

• Total voters

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
Well, I hope not, I watched him carefully yesterday to see what job he does on the left hand side, to try and convince myself that I do know something about football, as Gus stated if I could not see the Role he plays in the team, then I know nothing about football. Well Barnes role is to do nothing of real note, he does track back, but does not really mark to tackle, his first touch is very bad, he sulks when things goes wrong and his finishing appalling, but Gus could be right, I know nothing, but maybe thousands others don't know anything either, as most people were wondering how he started again, after he was so bad last week as well. Think the cog needs replacing, Hoskins please.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
I hope not as I think he needs a break and I'd like to see Dobbie or Hoskins start. Somehow though I'm pretty sure Barnes will start as he seems to be Gus's favourite player.

Bigbelly

Banned
Sep 24, 2011
Hope he doesn't and don't want him on the bench either dobbie or Hopkins please.

Last edited:

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Depends whether Bridge is fit or not, Barnes covers for Painter

Blackcap

Nov 6, 2011
Shoreham by Sea
I really don't think he will feature Tuesday, I think Gus will have to try something different up front. Whether he features against Palace on the other hand is a different matter.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Depends whether Bridge is fit or not, Barnes covers for Painter

Took til post #13 to find the right answer. It all completely hinges on this. Last game Bridge was fit, Barnes was dropped.

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
Sorry I think you are wrong. He did quite a lot of defensive work, although I must agree his finishing was dreadful.however is it going to improve a players confidence if he is jeered every time he gets the ball.He does a lot of defensive work that you cannot see,ever been to Specksavers,by the way I am a Geriatric seagull as well!

fratsomrover

Oct 18, 2011
Hove
Well, I hope not, I watched him carefully yesterday to see what job he does on the left hand side, to try and convince myself that I do know something about football, as Gus stated if I could not see the Role he plays in the team, then I know nothing about football. Well Barnes role is to do nothing of real note, he does track back, but does not really mark to tackle, his first touch is very bad, he sulks when things goes wrong and his finishing appalling, but Gus could be right, I know nothing, but maybe thousands others don't know anything either, as most people were wondering how he started again, after he was so bad last week as well. Think the cog needs replacing, Hoskins please.

I believe, I and 25,000 other spectators would go along with your appraisal. Sadly, he's having a torrid time and was embarrassingly bad yesterday and the kindest thing would be to give him a rest from 1st team football for a while. The biggest flaw in Gus's approach is his determination to play him when he's struggling. I'd love to see Dobbie and /or Hoskins start in his place on Tuesday. There is really no justification for his inclusion after yesterday. His errors and misses have a demoralising affect on the rest of the team. As a team, we were brilliant yesterday. It was the most one sided match I've seen in this division yet our failure to capitalise on so much possession cost us yet more points. I really hope Barnes is rested so we can assess a full contribution from Dobbie or Hoskins ( or both). fact is we are not winning matches we are dominating, so how much longer can we afford to persevere with Barnes and CMS when it obviously is not working.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I posted this on the duplicate thread:

Yes:
Bristol are an attacking threat. Despite being 21st in the table they have scored the 7th highest number of goals in the division. With Bridge out, painter needs support.
Gus rates barnes, thinks he performs well when some of our fans focus on his misses/decent shots that are saved/that one missed pass/the poor control when someone belted the ball at him, he probably didn't think his performance yesterday was as bad as some fans do
Barnes has a bigger role than just scoring

No:
Bristol are struggling in this division, painter has performed as well as necessary and we haven't conceded with him on the pitch, so perhaps it's worth risking painter without the support from barnes.
Barnes is struggling for confidence in front of the goal, and while scoring isn't his position's primary aim, it is still a big part of what he should bring to the team
Dobbie is finding his feet, having been dropped for a more defensive player and seeing us concede late goals, perhaps need more attacking intent at the start bring barnes on to be more defensive when we have the (hopefully) lead.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I think he will start as Gus thinks he has no-one else that can play that role as well as Barnes.

explain to me the role he plays? he is a striker, there to score goals. he does not do that enough to justify being in the side weekin and week out, his shot yesterday when through went so far wide it was embarressing. he needs dropping and needs to re focus starting Tuesday. time for change. NOW

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I posted this on the duplicate thread:

Yes:
Bristol are an attacking threat. Despite being 21st in the table they have scored the 7th highest number of goals in the division. With Bridge out, painter needs support.
Gus rates barnes, thinks he performs well when some of our fans focus on his misses/decent shots that are saved/that one missed pass/the poor control when someone belted the ball at him, he probably didn't think his performance yesterday was as bad as some fans do
Barnes has a bigger role than just scoring

No:
Bristol are struggling in this division, painter has performed as well as necessary and we haven't conceded with him on the pitch, so perhaps it's worth risking painter without the support from barnes.
Barnes is struggling for confidence in front of the goal, and while scoring isn't his position's primary aim, it is still a big part of what he should bring to the team
Dobbie is finding his feet, having been dropped for a more defensive player and seeing us concede late goals, perhaps need more attacking intent at the start bring barnes on to be more defensive when we have the (hopefully) lead.

it should be though, he is a striker, or are we saying we play one up front all the time, thats crazy when you have the attacking players we have.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here