Police to hunt down gay-slur Palace Fans'

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
In my opinion, THAT is where they step over the line and it becomes a "verbal assult" on the father and son for which the full force of the law should be used. It is very different to general name-calling. I remember taking my youngest son to Withdeam for one of his first ever games. We were in the North Stand next to the Orient fans in the away supporters "stand". He got upset by their having a general go at all of us in there (how brave of them!) and when he cuddled up to me there were all sorts of taunts about "spooning" and he was even worse. It is at that point it became something that the law should deal with. He can only have been about six.

I was in the crowd outside the ground when I witnessed this. The boy was in tears and in shock. It happens all the time. The " banter " card is misused. Either it is against the law or it isn't. What is it to be ? I have no general axe to grind. I just find the whole Circus incredibly boring and tiresome now. At least 200 of the 2600 Palace fans chanting it are gay themselves so it is farcicul. To be fair BHAFC have done the square root of f*ck all about it bar a few soundbites in the match programme.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We have heard it all so many times so do any supporters even the ones who are gay get upset about it, I dont think that in general they do they just put it down to the ignorance of non Brighton supporters.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
We have heard it all so many times so do any supporters even the ones who are gay get upset about it, I dont think that in general they do they just put it down to the ignorance of non Brighton supporters.

The 10 year old boy did.

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Yes, because homophobic abuse is against the law, whereby pikeyscumphobia isn't.

I think you'll find it is. Exactly the same as homophobia.

So I'll ask again, what's the difference?

abc

Jan 6, 2007
Absolutely this. Could not agree more. It's only in the last couple of years that what was previously regarded as banter has now been elevated to 'homophobia.' An inevitable consequence of the sanitised society we now live in. If a bit of name calling at a local derby upsets you then I would suggest that football aint the sport for you. The Police should concentrate on arresting those who inflict physical harm, not on those who indulge in name calling. Besides is it really 'homophobia' or just making reference(s) to the fact b/ton has a large gay community?

If forums existed then, I could imagine your post almost word for word being justified to condone racist 'banter' in the '70s. Chants of 'there's no black in the union Jack', 'Sieg Heil' (chanted as per 'seagulls') and monkey noises were common at the Goldstone and all other grounds then and many considered it just 'name calling'. I'm sure they know better now and I suspect the same will be the case re homophobic 'banter' in years to come.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The 10 year old boy did.

Does he really understand all their chants I doubt it, he is probably more alarmed at the fact that crowds were signing against him or his dad in great numbers not what was actually said.

I am sure I could have consoled him adequately had he been my son or as was in the case of my grandson Ben when he was younger who is now 18 but been a regular since 3 years old.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think you'll find it is. Exactly the same as homophobia.

So I'll ask again, what's the difference?

You have a point Commander but the aids chants and comments are a serious condition people can die of. Being a pikey does not mean you may die. So to latch onto this tenuous link , as more hetero people in the World die of aids now than gay people is misjudged. I think it very sad BHAFC have to be subjected to this week after week. Gay people also do not need to be smeared in this way. People are people, white, black, gay, hetero. This is not what defines them it is what is in their heart and soul that defines them. So to target a minority community for constant abuse in this day and age is from the dark ages and holds no place in society imo.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Does he really understand all their chants I doubt it, he is probably more alarmed at the fact that crowds were signing against him or his dad in great numbers not what was actually said.

I am sure I could have consoled him adequately had he been my son or as was in the case of my grandson Ben when he was younger who is now 18 but been a regular since 3 years old.

I think a 10 year old can understand the concept of dying and I guess it is quite frightening.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
Can't be arsed to read the whole thread, but did the OP quote the Palace fans as being in WESTERN ROAD??? If so what the feck were they doing there?

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
If forums existed then, I could imagine your post almost word for word being justified to condone racist 'banter' in the '70s. Chants of 'there's no black in the union Jack', 'Sieg Heil' (chanted as per 'seagulls') and monkey noises were common at the Goldstone and all other grounds then and many considered it just 'name calling'. I'm sure they know better now and I suspect the same will be the case re homophobic 'banter' in years to come.

There is a massive difference though isn't there. If people hurle abuse at a group of blacks or asians, they are by definitian black or asian, and the abuse it actually a direct afront to them. Thus they have every right to feel offended, or even under threat. It is personal. The vast majority of those on the receiving end of the "gay" banter, are straight, so why would they consider it a personal attack, or react in any other way than "water off a duck's back"? Obviously there would be a large number that would be offended at even being accused of being "gay", hence the effectiveness of the "banter". We reply with abuse about them being gypos, or being inbreads, I am sure that there are only a minority of those amongst their number.

If we had an openly gay player like Graeme Le Saux, and he was suffering direct abuse, then it would be something to get upset about. With all this overeaction to a few "gay" jibes, it really makes me wonder if there is a large contingent of "gays" within our ranks? Otherwise, why would people be getting so upset?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010

So because i express a view that you dont agree with that makes me rascist does it? Sadly it doesn't suprise me because as soon as anyone dares speak out against the liberal view they always get branded as 'rascist' or 'homophobic.'

For your information i am neither rascist nor homophobic.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So because i express a view that you dont agree with that makes me rascist does it? Sadly it doesn't suprise me because as soon as anyone dares speak out against the liberal view they always get branded as 'rascist' or 'homophobic.'

For your information i am neither rascist nor homophobic.

Yep, Tony Blair has a lot more to answer for than the Gulf War. The death of free speach and a right to having one's own views.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports