Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police to hunt down gay-slur Palace Fans'

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Get a life you lot. Just football banter

Absolutely this. Could not agree more. It's only in the last couple of years that what was previously regarded as banter has now been elevated to 'homophobia.' An inevitable consequence of the sanitised society we now live in. If a bit of name calling at a local derby upsets you then I would suggest that football aint the sport for you. The Police should concentrate on arresting those who inflict physical harm, not on those who indulge in name calling. Besides is it really 'homophobia' or just making reference(s) to the fact b/ton has a large gay community?

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
Absolutely this. Could not agree more. It's only in the last couple of years that what was previously regarded as banter has now been elevated to 'homophobia.' An inevitable consequence of the sanitised society we now live in. If a bit of name calling at a local derby upsets you then I would suggest that football aint the sport for you. The Police should concentrate on arresting those who inflict physical harm, not on those who indulge in name calling. Besides is it really 'homophobia' or just making reference(s) to the fact b/ton has a large gay community?

What about if we made reference to the fact Croydon has a lot of black residents?

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Have to agree with Beach Seagull and glentana......I have heard worse chants and...so what? That is football in England. If you want it changed to an afternoon out where you bring the wife and sandwiches and sit and clap sportingly.......then be the first to behave that way.

Homophobic (and the worse, racial abuse) is bad and wrong when heaped on one person or on a small group as a personal insult or attack - but when aired generally at a 20,000 plus crowd - it is childish nonsense and need be dismissed as such.

I M H O , of course

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Paradoxically, considering most people use the word to dismiss the impact of verbal discrimination and prejudice, I am beginning to discriminate and form prejudice against anyone who uses the word 'banter'.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

A father and 10 year old son being abused and the lad being told " you and your dad are going to die of aids you ****ing faggots " Is this banter ? Is this acceptable to you ?

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Is it acceptable at Brighton mainline rail station, with members of non footballing society having to tolerate it ?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
A father and 10 year old son being abused and the lad being told " you and your dad are going to die of aids you ****ing faggots " Is this banter ? Is this acceptable to you ?

Singling out individuals or small groups is wrong but when the 'homophobia' is directed by directed at one large group collectively i dont see what the problem is.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Is it acceptable at Brighton mainline rail station, with members of non footballing society having to tolerate it ?

I'm sure the members of the 'non footballing society' have encountered worse situations / problems in their lives than a bunch of football fans hurling abuse at each other. I'm sure they have all got up and got on with their lives today and won't need counselling to get over it.........

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I'm sure the members of the 'non footballing society' have encountered worse situations / problems in their lives than a bunch of football fans hurling abuse at each other. I'm sure they have all got up and got on with their lives today and won't need counselling to get over it.........

In fact it wasn't groups hurling abuse at one another. It was a 100 or so palace fans launching into homophobic songs as soon as they touched the platform.

So it is acceptable ???

Interesting view.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
In fact it wasn't groups hurling abuse at one another. It was a 100 or so palace fans launching into homophobic songs as soon as they touched the platform.

So it is acceptable ???

Interesting view.

Acceptable yes, offensive and boorish most definitely, need for wholesale arrest most definitely not.

Is making fun of their own riots and their genuine personal and financial losses, assuming that they weren't the rioters, calling them Pikey Scum affords the same actions ?

Neither are my 'cup of tea', but to demand 100's of arrests and immediate sanction is tiresome.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010

So it is acceptable ???

Interesting view.

I wasn't there as came via Lewes but if i was it would not have bothered me in the slightest. It's football its a local derby and rival fans are gonna use anything they can to taunt one another. It goes on all the time and always will do.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
This would almost be amusing if I didn't think the author was serious in his attitude. Quite a disturbed lot up there, aren't they?

Eagle-Of-Bexhill Flag bexhill east sussex 11 Mar 13 11.30am

I don't live to far from brighton you can smell all the spunk in the air! Sickens me! Rather live in thornton heath than the gay capital you tw*t

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
Is it worse them singing about us being a bunch of gays or us singing about them being a bunch of pikey scum?

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Ha, there you have it, a man with no answers and seemingly no brain.

I did answer. You asked my opinion on something that didn't happen yesterday.

No brain? Why because my view differs from yours? So you have to resort to personal insults?

I'm happy to come on here and engage in debate and unlike you if someone has a different opinion to mine I dont resort to insults.

It's also ironic that you have views that it is wrong for people to chant insults at one and another but then you insult me!!! Oh the irony!!!

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.

In my opinion, THAT is where they step over the line and it becomes a "verbal assult" on the father and son for which the full force of the law should be used. It is very different to general name-calling. I remember taking my youngest son to Withdeam for one of his first ever games. We were in the North Stand next to the Orient fans in the away supporters "stand". He got upset by their having a general go at all of us in there (how brave of them!) and when he cuddled up to me there were all sorts of taunts about "spooning" and he was even worse. It is at that point it became something that the law should deal with. He can only have been about six.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here