Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Police arrogance? Do they serve us or do we serve them?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
At the risk of appearing a fence sitter I have to say that I disliked Thatcher and Blair pretty intensely BUT I would never dream of being disrespectful at either of their funerals. That may, of course, just be down to my good breeding.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Would this be the ones that were too busy boo her when she was alive? Funny how the chance to be on telly clears a busy calendar.

The point was that you don't have to have fought in WW2 to know that Hitler was a bad egg. You don't have to be that old to realise what Maggie did. Anyway, if she had died and was buried away from the medias attention and did not have Cameron praising her in an almost presidential announcement, things would have been fine.

But having ramped her achievements up in a blatant hagiography,ignoring the feelings of a huge section of society,is there any wonder it has created this huge backlash ?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The point was that you don't have to have fought in WW2 to know that Hitler was a bad egg. You don't have to be that old to realise what Maggie did. Anyway, if she had died and was buried away from the medias attention and did not have Cameron praising her in an almost presidential announcement, things would have been fine.

But having ramped her achievements up in a blatant hagiography,ignoring the feelings of a huge section of society,is there any wonder it has created this huge backlash ?

People that lost family whether it be grandparents or whoever in the war obviously would have cause to celebrate the death of Hitler, i guess many people did celebrate. A poor comparison.
Thatcher was hardly a murderer of peoples relatives, so how does it affect those not born or old enough when Thatcher imposed her policies.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
So, all those people under 70 years old, who protest against fascism where ever it appears, also have no right to be there ?

Well considering it was a "protest" directly against Maggie and her actions, i just find it laughable that it was mostly 20yr olds there who mostly werent affected by her actions.....but still any excuse to cause trouble these days.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
you know, seems that some people so full of hate, they are becoming more heartless than a person they say was that. there should be no "protest" at a funeral, private or public, it serves no purpose other than to upset others. there's plenty of other time and places for protesting.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
People that lost family whether it be grandparents or whoever in the war obviously would have cause to celebrate the death of Hitler, i guess many people did celebrate. A poor comparison.
Thatcher was hardly a murderer of peoples relatives, so how does it affect those not born or old enough when Thatcher imposed her policies.

Oh dear, you didn't read my post very well did you ? My point is that you don't have to have lived through some time to understand what happened was bad/mad/reckless or wrong.
If she was so good, so brilliant, so effective, does it not strike you as odd that a large proportion of the population feel the need to protest in any way they can ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
This. Hopefully AFTER cracking a few of their thick sculls. Hopefully we will see a few die, and I doubt anyone will be at their funerals apart from other scum bags.

So you advocate murdering people who offend you? you really are a thoroughly vile and unpleasant human being aren't you?

And for the record, I've had a job since 1979, own my own home and aren't a stranger to soap.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006

I hardly think that her critics have been silenced over the last week. For every sycophantic mention of her there has been an equal and opposite attack on her personally or her policies.

Have your party in Trafalgar Square or the Cowley Club, buy your Ding Dong records or whatever floats your boat but disrupt a funeral for a cheap publicity stunt? It's not how civilised people do things.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Oh dear, you didn't read my post very well did you ? My point is that you don't have to have lived through some time to understand what happened was bad/mad/reckless or wrong.
If she was so good, so brilliant, so effective, does it not strike you as odd that a large proportion of the population feel the need to protest in any way they can ?

What a gross misinterpretation of the overall proportion that wish to protest, I think you are confusing it with a large proportion that hold a view, positive or otherwise.

So so different.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Addressing a considerable number of your fellow NCSers as 'you lot' doesn't seem to support your claim to be neutral.........

"You lot" = people who want to protest at a funeral and the protest apologists. I'm not the only one who wasn't a fan of hers who thinks this is beyond the pale.

And I really am neutral. I've not expressed one political opinion either for or against her here or any other thread. My caustic comments are driven solely by those thinking it okay to protest at a funeral.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I hardly think that her critics have been silenced over the last week. For every sycophantic mention of her there has been an equal and opposite attack on her personally or her policies.

Have your party in Trafalgar Square or the Cowley Club, buy your Ding Dong records or whatever floats your boat but disrupt a funeral for a cheap publicity stunt? It's not how civilised people do things.

I think there won't be many actually protesting at her funeral, if any at all.

Just odd that so much of a society, who she allegedly helped create, feel the need to protest? How can so many people seemingly jump to the wrong conclusion ?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Looks to me like we need Edna and her truncheon on here once she's recovered to sort "you lot" out!!

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
I didn't like Thatcher when she was alive and will not mourn her passing. As far as I'm concerned she's just a woman who was employed by us to run our country and in my opinion didn't do a very good job of it. However, I totally respect the right of people who feel they want to mourn her passing to do so in a dignified manner. A protest at a funeral won't change her, she's dead ffs! In a civilised society it is plain wrong to disrepect a funeral and the people attending it.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Booing a hearse? Jesus wept. Where were all these Billy Big Scollobs a few weeks ago when she was alive? You could have stood at the end of her street and booed her as she came and went from her house. It sounds like you lot want to be seen to be outraged more than you actually pretend to care.
This.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
So you advocate murdering people who offend you? you really are a thoroughly vile and unpleasant human being aren't you?

And for the record, I've had a job since 1979, own my own home and aren't a stranger to soap.

So you think it is ok for these scum to disrupt the funeral of a lady who tried so hard to improve the lives of the people of this country? There is nothing lower than that in my opinion, and they deserve everyting they get. They are simply worse than dog shit.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I didn't like Thatcher when she was alive and will not mourn her passing. As far as I'm concerned she's just a woman who was employed by us to run our country and in my opinion didn't do a very good job of it. However, I totally respect the right of people who feel they want to mourn her passing to do so in a dignified manner. A protest at a funeral won't change her, she's dead ffs! In a civilised society it is plain wrong to disrepect a funeral and the people attending it.

That is a very sensible opinon. I don't agree with your opinion of her success, but it is your right to have it, and your attitude to her passing is the right one for those who do not agree with what she did.

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
That is a very sensible opinon. I don't agree with your opinion of her success, but it is your right to have it, and your attitude to her passing is the right one for those who do not agree with what she did.

As you say we all have or right to an opinion, we also have the right to vote for whoever we choose and to protest against policies. Protesting at a dead woman's funeral won't change anything!! People on both sides are going way over the top at the moment, all at the wrong time!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here