[Albion] Points to be safe this season

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Oh well , that’s football .

Yup. Don't get me wrong, you're a comfortably better side than Villa. Without Grealish they'd probably already be down.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Teams that we have made look utterly ****ing shit this season, who both nicked jammy draws towards the end.

I agree. Even pep patted you on the head after your performance at the etihad.
I reckon 36 points will be enough this Season but as always I like 40 on the board.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The big question is which team(s) are going to put the run together to get them out of trouble?

At the moment our "poor" run of form has kept us out of trouble and increased the gap between us and 18th place (unless West Ham win tonight).
If we manage 8 pts from our last 11 games, 3 teams will have to improve on their current pts per game tally for us to be relegated.
Not seeing enough from the main threats yet, to think they will all achieve that.

I think 36 pts will be enough to keep us up

There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that relegation threatened teams do manage to up their PPG in the last 10 games. (also some that mid table teams drop like a stone)

Has anyone ever seen anything which is more statistical? Ie proving that teams on average, if they are threatened with relegation, will pick up more PPG than they did earlier in the season. Thanks if so

Granny on the wing

Sep 7, 2019
I reckon 36 points will be enough this Season but as always I like 40 on the board.

Hard to predict the result for this game ,you always seem to get results since you have been in the Premier League . It will be interesting to see if our two additions make us a better team ,though i`m guessing they will be subs . I would not be surprised if someone gets sent off again either .Palace posters seem very disgruntled reading on the Holmsdale about all sorts of things like the new Stadium ,ageing players ,style of football etc .Comparing Palace with the Albion i am just glad we have got the Stadium ,its a classic case of things having to get worse before getting better .It seems that Palace still have not gone through the worst bit yet .

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
There's plenty of anecdotal evidence that relegation threatened teams do manage to up their PPG in the last 10 games. (also some that mid table teams drop like a stone)

Has anyone ever seen anything which is more statistical? Ie proving that teams on average, if they are threatened with relegation, will pick up more PPG than they did earlier in the season. Thanks if so

I think it generally gets worse if anything. You might get one or two sides that go on a great run, but most of the bottom 6 will carry on around a similar rate they've set during the season, or more likely worse, hence 36 and sometimes even 35 is enough, despite the relegation zone being just under 1 ppg. As you say, a side might drop like a stone - like us last season, but like last season, not many teams are massively increasing their PPG at the same time.

If the relegation battle genuinely saw teams under threat manage to up their PPG, you'd see higher points needed to secure 17th, which in recent seasons has been 35, 34, 35, 38, 36, 34....

My prediction is that of the 5 teams below us, only 2 will score better than 1 PPG, therefore in all likelihood 36 points will be enough.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

33 from 27 means you're safe, we'll have 31 from 28 after Saturday which will nudge us closer, so everyone's happy, right? :whistle:

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Hard to predict the result for this game ,you always seem to get results since you have been in the Premier League . It will be interesting to see if our two additions make us a better team ,though i`m guessing they will be subs . I would not be surprised if someone gets sent off again either .Palace posters seem very disgruntled reading on the Holmsdale about all sorts of things like the new Stadium ,ageing players ,style of football etc .Comparing Palace with the Albion i am just glad we have got the Stadium ,its a classic case of things having to get worse before getting better .It seems that Palace still have not gone through the worst bit yet .
They never go through it. They just default and start again as if nothing happened, then brag about being in the top two divisions for longer. Cheating scum.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I would take 11 draws right now.

Was just about to type the same.

Still think we'll sneak a win against Liverpool, I know, mad isn't it!

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Was just about to type the same.

Still think we'll sneak a win against Liverpool, I know, mad isn't it!

Well if we go into matches with a mindset on winning them, it raises the chances for sure. You have got to be in it to win it and Sheffield United had to fight for their point too against us.

Just looking forward to see if Lampty and Alexi will give us the quality required and make what we have been practising all season click before the end of it.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
As always, 40. A waste of thread really, we all know the rules

40 points or more has been needed once in the last 21 seasons, so, it's a rule you might need to rethink.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
40 points or more has been needed once in the last 21 seasons, so, it's a rule you might need to rethink.

And given that there are now only 11 games left for most teams and 18th is under 1ppg, it would take a very strange set of results for 39 points not to be enough

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
The other part of this equation is what are these clubs in danger going to do about it? We're kinda predicting future results based on current form, and I think if Watford, Bournemouth, West Ham and Villa do nothing new between now and the end of the season they'll be falling over each other to get relegated, Bournemouth and Villa most likely.

BUT. I think Dean Smith has to be in last-chance saloon. Those players really aren't putting in the shift needed to stay up, their defensive laxness was all too apparent against Saints who just looked like they wanted it more.

Watford have already sacked two managers this season. I don't think they'll have any cares for pulling the trigger a third time if it doesn't improve, they will be in financial bother if they go down.

West Ham will have to stick with Moyes, and I reckon like last time he'll win the last five or so and pull it out of the bag. That would mean beating Watford and Villa two of the last three so thats OK I guess.

Bournemouth can't sack Eddie can they? I doubt it, and he is the one manager here who I reckon has really got great escape in their genes. They payed pretty well against Burnley by all accounts. Tricky fixtures left.

We will go with Potter all the way til the end whatever happens, one has to expect that. Despite winning 1 in 12 (is that right?) we've competed in every single one of those games, only lost one of them by more than 1 goal. If you compete and fight and stay in matches, surely the results will come. Surely?

All of us have difficult runs coming up for the next two months. That could open the door for Norwich just slightly? Their run in isn't as bad as others:

Leicester (h), Sheffield (a), Southampton (h), Everton (h), Arsenal (a), Brighton (h), Watford (a), West Ham (h), Chelsea (a), Burnley (h), Man City (a).

They still seem together as a club, there is certainly the chance of a strong run to get back in the mix.

Then there is Newcastle. They really don't look good. Take out their jammy win over Chelsea having been battered for 90 minutes or their 2 goals in injury time to snatch a draw off an Everton side that had mentally gone to the pub, they'd be solidly in the thick of it. As it is they aren't far away. Fixtures might be kind, but I guess they will either do us a favour or get dragged right into it : Burnley, Saints, Sheffield, Villa, Bournemouth, West Ham, Man City, Watford, Spurs, Brighton, Liverpool

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports