Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PM's announcement - at some point today, when he feels like it

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Masks are worn to protect others from you.

Why do you think vets wear them when operating on animals? Doctors wore them long before this pandemic started, as did nurses. They are worn to prevent their droplets falling on you.

of course medical grade masks properly worn protect you. a couple of layers of material give some protection, maybe 70-80%. which means if you are near anyone for a period of time very little protection. this is months old, based on WHO view and years of research available.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
of course medical grade masks properly worn protect you. a couple of layers of material give some protection, maybe 70-80%. which means if you are near anyone for a period of time very little protection. this is months old, based on WHO view and years of research available.

Even by your own admission, masks offer protection then?

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent

How is 70 to 80% protection not better than no protection.

I have seen the idiot parents outside some of our local schools, no social distancing, no masks... They must have all been reading your posts!

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
If schools are still to stay open, which overall I think is the right decision, I can’t understand why it’s not mandatory for us parents to wear a mask on drop off and pick up? It seems really strange not making it compulsary.

Actually, I’m suprised they haven’t made it mandatory to wear masks outside in public spaces now like they have in parts of Europe. It seems quite a minor but sensible thing to do.
One of the problems with this is that we are in the winter rain and wind season and all the advice about mask wearing says don't let them get wet. Wearing one outside at the moment will get a mask very wet. Yesterday when I went to a town and into a couple of shops it was pouring down rain and everyone was walking into the shops and then putting their masks on in the doorways where there was a bit of shelter.

Additionally I don't think there would be much success enforcing it. Maybe in the centre of London, but most towns don't have that many police officers around and I would bet that the police don't want to spend their time running after people without masks on.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Starmer coming across like a real leader on Marr - in stark contrast to the confusion and contradiction of the last few days from the government.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
it is minor and they make very little difference. as long as you dont cough in anyones face, they'll all be fine at the school gate. they aren't any use for protecting you, unless you're using the medical grade ones.

Please ignore this post. Very dangerous thing to post.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Even by your own admission, masks offer protection then?

yep. minor protection. the inconvenience and absolute un-enforceability means its not good policy.

I have seen the idiot parents outside some of our local schools, no social distancing, no masks... They must have all been reading your posts!

social distancing is far more important, and far easier to manage. maintaining distance without masks is better than masks and close proximity.

here's WHO advice, its not against wearing them outdoors but neither gives anything to suggest we should.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/06/who-updates-guidance-on-masks-heres-what-to-know-now/
"general public should wear non-medical masks where there is widespread transmission and when physical distancing is difficult, such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments."

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
His delivery is indeed poor when he has to talk for extended periods. There’s a strange cadence, pauses and his vocabulary seems a bit stunted at times. This latter point is odd given his education and career as a writer/journalist.

I think that it has become abundantly clear that he is very expensively educated, but not too bright. I understand that the thing that finally made up Johnson's mind on this lockdown was when they told him they may need to use Ice rinks as mortuaries. I've also been told elsewhere that in presentations to him, simple examples have to be given as he struggles with concepts.

I saw a slide a long while back which I was told was part of a presentation on Exports after Brexit made to him, explaining the roles of am English producer, a Lorry Driver and an EU importer. If it was true (and I can't imagine why it would have been mocked up), and presented to me when I was in business, my first reaction would have been 'are you taking the piss ?'

All evidence I have seen is that Johnson can't do concepts or figures and has to be given very simple examples in order to explain to him.

Lucky he's not in a position of any importance then :facepalm:

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I understand that the thing that finally made up Johnson's mind on this lockdown was when they told him they may need to use Ice rinks as mortuaries.
Leisure Centres as well were on standby as there aren't that many Ice Rinks..

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Starmer coming across like a real leader on Marr - in stark contrast to the confusion and contradiction of the last few days from the government.

But no so good on issues he has to actually deal with, like Corbyn

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I was glad to see his remarks on the need to keep schools open. The thing that worries me most about his party is the authoritarian streak, so the more he argues against those who want to close down everything the more I like him.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
His delivery is indeed poor when he has to talk for extended periods. There’s a strange cadence, pauses and his vocabulary seems a bit stunted at times. This latter point is odd given his education and career as a writer/journalist.

If I gave lectures to students like that I'd get booed off, even if my lectures were as short as Boris' expostulations.

Its an....affectation and and.....a coverup for . . .not. . . .being . . . .properly prepared and if I may say so . . .remember to think . . . . .wink . . . . and blink and we . . . will . . . .beat . . . .this virus thank you and I'll now hand over to someone who knows what they are banging on about and gives a tiny shit.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
yep. minor protection. the inconvenience and absolute un-enforceability means its not good policy.

social distancing is far more important, and far easier to manage. maintaining distance without masks is better than masks and close proximity.

here's WHO advice, its not against wearing them outdoors but neither gives anything to suggest we should.
https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2020/06/who-updates-guidance-on-masks-heres-what-to-know-now/
"general public should wear non-medical masks where there is widespread transmission and when physical distancing is difficult, such as on public transport, in shops or in other confined or crowded environments."

So outside the school gates where large numbers of parents congregate, chatting!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
But no so good on issues he has to actually deal with, like Corbyn

How many minutes after Corbyn's gaff do you imagine he should have waited before agreeing to Corbyn's suspension (triggered by processes he had set up for swift action over twits)? How many seconds after Rebecca Long Bailey has made an absurd comment about Mossad should he have waited to sack her from the shadow cabinet?

Starmer is a clever man, waiting till his enemies put their head above the parapet, then dispatching them with minimum fuss and mess. So much so he's completely whooshed you it would appear. Never mind. :shrug:

By the way, I hadn't realised you were a jock.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
How many minutes after Corbyn's gaff do you imagine he should have waited before agreeing to Corbyn's suspension (triggered by processes he had set up for swift action over twits)? How many seconds after Rebecca Long Bailey has made an absurd comment about Mossad should he have waited to sack her from the shadow cabinet?

Starmer is a clever man, waiting till his enemies put their head above the parapet, then dispatching them with minimum fuss and mess. So much so he's completely whooshed you it would appear. Never mind. :shrug:

By the way, I hadn't realised you were a jock.

He’s that clever that he left the scene of an rta, still it’s not like he’s had any experience of the Law eh...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think that it has become abundantly clear that he is very expensively educated, but not too bright. I understand that the thing that finally made up Johnson's mind on this lockdown was when they told him they may need to use Ice rinks as mortuaries. I've also been told elsewhere that in presentations to him, simple examples have to be given as he struggles with concepts.

I saw a slide a long while back which I was told was part of a presentation on Exports after Brexit made to him, explaining the roles of am English producer, a Lorry Driver and an EU importer. If it was true (and I can't imagine why it would have been mocked up), and presented to me when I was in business, my first reaction would have been 'are you taking the piss ?'

All evidence I have seen is that Johnson can't do concepts or figures and has to be given very simple examples in order to explain to him.

Lucky he's not in a position of any importance then :facepalm:

You are correct. When he was mayor he turned up with his team to a planning meeting with some people in a company who are friends of one of my pals. Boris spent 15 minutes fiddling with his phone, then said he had to leave. After he'd gone his team said along the lines of 'thank **** for that, now we can actually get the work done'.

It is worth watching again that video made this year of him demonstrating how he would get an overn ready deal with the EU by baking something in an oven.

The man is a jackass. I can't believe I gave him the benefit of the doubt after the delay to lockdown the first time around (I defended him on here, FFS!). Let's not forget we are going to stumble out of the EU in January with no deal, breaking our own laws with respect to the Irish border. It's like having Eric Cartman in charge of Southpark school.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here