Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PM's announcement - at some point today, when he feels like it

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
that isnt what their graphs showed. they showed reducing R, and very slow increase. the models predict a large rise, but dont say what set of restrictions apply.

Strange then that the rate of infections are still going up ? still, they must know what they are doing eh ?

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Strange then that the rate of infections are still going up ? still, they must know what they are doing eh ?

If the r-rate is above 1, the number of infections will go up. But, if the r-rate falls from, say 1.4 to 1.3, the increase in number of infections is slower than it was before.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
We waited nearly 4 hours for that ?

Now as you will see from the conspiracy thread, I'm not a great believer, but I'd love to know what really happened.

I suspect we will find out in the next few days/weeks :wink:

Maybe one of Johnson's key aides, the redhead with the big jugs, his " Lucky " intern had to attend her nieces birthday party but Johnson could not go out for the presser without her standing with the journo's doing thumbs up and pointing to her norks, so, they had to wait until the cake was cut and she scuttled back on the tube.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Not too bad, I thought. The government are trying to steer a line still somewhat like Germany - with a few more restrictions than them - and not at all like the more authoritarian latin European countries. I think it is a reasonable set of measures and probably sensible on the run up to Christmas.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Seems very reasonable to me, viewing from across the pond.

Could be a LOT worse with far stricter restrictions, or by going the other way and letting it get totally out of control.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
gone from telling every ****er in the country that it was their patriotic duty to go to as many pubs and restaurants as is humanly possible, to closing them all in the space of a couple of months

bravo!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Somebody has to teach them how to give a presentation Graphs on a tv screen which were oversized and too much detail are not the way to go. Get doom and gloom off give Boris a decent script with backing up screen with punch points and cut it too 5 minutes. Put the restrictions on the screen.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Somebody has to teach them how to give a presentations. Graphs on a tv screen which were oversized and too much detail are not the way to go. Get doom and gloom off give Boris a decent script with backing up screen with punch points and cut it too 5 minutes. Put the restrictions on the screen.

Amazing isn’t how complicated they make presenting something so bloody simple

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Better late than never, wish they’d moved before the half term break

Interesting to see if things change in schools like regular opening of windows and use of face masks.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
They need to find out who is leaking this stuff. A 90 minute BBC production reporting leaks and rumours as facts is not what should be happening during a pandemic.

I don’t think they need to investigate who the leak is....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Funny how they can suddenly find billions to extend furlough but not a few million to feed starving kids, isn't it?

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
My work will carry on risking us, i think, the bellends. I work in an office, and the business critical action is, apparently the phone lines, which were closed without much bother for 4 or 5 months. I am on the phone for 1 hour when i go in now, so why i have to walk 7 miles, avoiding public transport in these contagious times, sometimes in the fierce rain, to do so doesn't seem pleasant or reasonable. All the more so now that we have a home-based phone service in place if we concentrated on turning it on. As per usual, the HR Dept is merely a spokesperson for the organisation's unadapted policy, so where do i go to make them stop? It is us expendable oiks that they seem happy to endanger.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
The lockdown in the UK will only be as good as the enforcement. It's a similar situation here although it's been left to the individual autonomous regions to make their own arrangements. With the exception of Extremadura and some offshore islands, all of mainland Spain has lockdown. But the difference is that all roads crossing borders are manned by Polica National or Guardia - armed of course - and they take no prisoners, something the majority of Spanish nationals respect. Bars can remain open until 2230hrs but everyone (without good, provable reason) has to be off the streets by 2300hrs. Most of the autonomous regions are scared of the influx of Madrileans leaving Madrid and heading for their second homes so every train passenger arriving in Malaga today on the Madrid trains, or flights have had to prove their reason for doing so or face a large fine/custody. Now, will they they do similar in the UK to enforce the government action?

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
You know, what I would love to see is more of the people who seem to just want to knock every action that the government takes offer their own realistic and workable alternative approaches, however I appreciate that this is a little more challenging than just making negative comments.

Being “politically agnostic” I do not care if we are led by Tory, Liberal, Labour, Green, Brexiteer, remainder, Raving Looney Party, or Best Party I have ever been to Party. I believe that any party would struggle sorting out this nasty bugger and balancing people’s health and the economy.

We are after all all in this mire right now and need to work together to come out of the other side as soon as we can.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Amazing isn’t how complicated they make presenting something so bloody simple

You only have to go back a few months to see how presentations and conferences should be handled. Andrew Cuomo was far better than Johnson and his team have every been.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
If the r-rate is above 0, the number of infections will go up.

Yes and no.

If R is above 0 then some infected people will infect a/some others. So the total number of infections will go up.

However if R is above 0 but also below 1 the number of people infected at any one time will diminish.

Eg, 100,000 people infected, R of 0.5, average time to infect others of 3 days...

Day 0 100,000
Day 3 50,000
Day 6 25,000
Day 9 12,500
Day 12 6,250

...and so on.

So, you're total number of infections has gone up, but the number infected at any one time will go down.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Working at Heathrow I can assure you all that there is naff all by way of protection going on at the border and there was nothing at all in today’s statement to remedy that.

Farce.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here