Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PLEASE can we stop using this annoying and very childish phrase " Plastics "

Saint Lennard

Prawn Sarnie Casual
Sep 30, 2004
Seafront shelters
I agree. And while we're at it, could we also drop 'tinpot' and 'cringeworthy' as well?

I can remember many a time revelling from the sound of opposition fans moaning they should be beating tinpot teams like Brighton after a successful victory away. It was a regular thing under the 1-0 Adams regime. I learnt from this frequent occurrence that you are never too big to come unstuck and with us being experts at getting defeats from the jaws of victory I have learnt never to use the term tinpot.
As for plastics, the term I used to use for my in-laws who all supported Utd but never went to a game was that they were fans not supporters as they never did anything to support the club of their choice. I would love to wind them up during a televised game by asking which team they supported and then rephrase it asking who they were fans of because they never supported Utd in any way.
On the subject of plastics or JCLs I am currently guilty of creating such a scenario. My friend who is a Millwall fan wants his 5 year old to support a local team and after I made the lad a Gullys Gang member his dad kept talking about taking him to a few games. This has lead to the dad getting them both season tickets. The dad will still be looking for the Millwall results first but that will now be after he has taken his boy to see us. He is passionate about supporting your local team and although for him it is against the grain he has said he is actually excited about going next season and has already asked to get a tour sorted before the season. He has got his son the away kit and gets him to wear it any time he is playing football. It's very surprising after all the years and banter we have had about us and them. The only down side is that he got the season tickets the day after the first play off game so I am wondering if he has jinxed us!? Anyway he has said that he is looking forward to getting off his seat and cheering on the Albion and showing his son what following a team through thick and thin is like. This so-called JCL will be following us and setting up his son for life so i can't see what the problem is.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
I can remember many a time revelling from the sound of opposition fans moaning they should be beating tinpot teams like Brighton after a successful victory away. It was a regular thing under the 1-0 Adams regime. I learnt from this frequent occurrence that you are never too big to come unstuck and with us being experts at getting defeats from the jaws of victory I have learnt never to use the term tinpot.
As for plastics, the term I used to use for my in-laws who all supported Utd but never went to a game was that they were fans not supporters as they never did anything to support the club of their choice. I would love to wind them up during a televised game by asking which team they supported and then rephrase it asking who they were fans of because they never supported Utd in any way.
On the subject of plastics or JCLs I am currently guilty of creating such a scenario. My friend who is a Millwall fan wants his 5 year old to support a local team and after I made the lad a Gullys Gang member his dad kept talking about taking him to a few games. This has lead to the dad getting them both season tickets. The dad will still be looking for the Millwall results first but that will now be after he has taken his boy to see us. He is passionate about supporting your local team and although for him it is against the grain he has said he is actually excited about going next season and has already asked to get a tour sorted before the season. He has got his son the away kit and gets him to wear it any time he is playing football. It's very surprising after all the years and banter we have had about us and them. The only down side is that he got the season tickets the day after the first play off game so I am wondering if he has jinxed us!? Anyway he has said that he is looking forward to getting off his seat and cheering on the Albion and showing his son what following a team through thick and thin is like. This so-called JCL will be following us and setting up his son for life so i can't see what the problem is.

Good post, I only got back into football a couple of years back and got called a plastic (by my Chelsea, Liverpool and Manure supporting friends by the way) for choosing a local side, where's the logic in that? The fact that the Amex had been built or that Albion had just been promoted had no influence on my decision and now I would consider myself to be a loyal fan.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I know half a dozen people who are new season ticket holders (well, they were last season). One gave up a season ticket at The Emirates for him and his son because it was cheaper and more convenient to take him to The Amex. Two are Man United fans from up north now living down south.

Whether we like to admit it or not, we do have a few fans who support other clubs. All welcome and all that - they spent their money just like everyone else. But it would be naive to think there were not a few of the plastics the Palace fans tease us about who are now regulars at home matches. They may be in the minority. But they are there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here