Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

PLEASE can we stop using this annoying and very childish phrase " Plastics "

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Where has this pathetic term come from ? I am sure it has only been around for a couple of years.

Palace fans couldn't get their heads around us getting 20k attendances after we left Withdean. They wanted to believe the difference in crowd numbers was all down to fans who didn't support the club turning up every week just for the fun of it instead of normally watching a Premier League game on Sky.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
ENOUGH with the fu cking Palace threads! AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGHHHHHH!!!!!

This isn't a palace Thread, it is a Plastics thread which just happens to mention Palace

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
I agree with the OP.

The term "plastic" implies that there's a superior breed of supporter, made of something much stronger. I'm not sure what that material is meant to be. Perhaps a Palace supporter can enlighten me. Concrete? Cast iron? This new graphene stuff that the kids are all getting so excited about?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
What about the annoying habit of putting spaces between " quoted " words.

And what about the comedy full stop and question mark combination.?

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing

Thanks for the input.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

For some people on here, it would be an achievement if they used ANY punctuation

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Calling them Crystal Palacestics is ok though.

Although an alternative rhyming word might work just as well.

(And no, it's not 'fantastic'...)

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We have some friends who decided to get saints' season tickets last season because they would be in the Premiership and it would be the opportunity to watch some big teams. Any support of the local team was secondary, but was still there to an extent.

They are all renewing and still interested, but now I think the main interest is in the local team, which they want to support. These are all people who are interested in and knowledgeable about football. The sad thing for me is that my wife might actually join them. I won't because, as you can imagine, I can't get excited about other football teams and, if I was going to try and get a season ticket anywhere, it would be at the AMEX.

But everyone has to start somewhere? So I agree that the dismissive use of "Plastics" is at least silly and at worst offensive.

I do, of course, bleed in blue and white stripes and have seagulls running through my bones as in a stick of rock, except it was "The Albion" when I started and the word Seagulls was not in contention.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
Where would we be without Plastic? It's been a factor of our lives since Mr Spielberg's American assault troops, ran up Normandy Beach with their M1's in Plastic Bags.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Plastics: Someone claiming to support a particular team but having no direct connection to the team/town/city and never attending games. see also Armchair supporter

JCL: ("Johnny Come Lately") A supporter who starts to follow a team solely because they have recently become successful. When the team starts to do badly, a JCL would be expected to disappear.

Based on those two definitions, "Plastics" is completely inappropriate for the circumstances of both teams. "JCL", however is entirely appropriate for the 10k extra fans the Nigels are expecting at Selhurst. I'm pretty sure that their premiership results will exclude them from the "Plastics" accusation because any armchair fan watching the premier league isn't going to pick the team at the bottom to arbitrarily support - this is solely the preserve of the "top" clubs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here