Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playoffs pessimism

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Bolton and Forest squads have tons of class in them, and sods law, their managers have finally got them getting win after win at this crucial stage.

I'd be pleasantly shocked if we make the playoffs. Our fixtures are incredibly tough.

The points lost at home against an out of sorts Brum, Forest and Blackburn, may well come back to bite us.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Our fixtures ain't no tougher than anyone else's. In fact I doubt any of our rivals have got an easier last four games, than Posh, Blackpool, Leeds and Wolves. Chances are they will all be on their holidays by the time we play them. Christ on a bike, two days ago we were better than Barcelona, now people are already lining up their excuses...I still think we will/bloody well should finish top six and if we don't I think Poyet has really f***ed it up, big style.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
The main difference between last year is that we are now very hard to beat. I don't see us losing many games during the run in. Winning as many home games as possible is the key.

I think Gus will settle with 3-5 points from the 3 away games and then go for it at home.

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I've said all along, that making the play offs is the hard part.

IF we come 6th, we can beat anyone over two legs - then the Final - who knows.

A couple of weeks ago, I thought the 6 dropped 'last minute points' against Bolton, Birmingham and Wolves would cost us.

Now, following back to back home wins, and the win at Cardiff I think we'll make it - just - it might even be on Goal Difference.

It will go to the last day though, and IMO we will need to beat Wolves to get into the playoffs.

Let's hope they're either safe or down by then.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
This league is so unpredictable to ANYTHING can happen, as is already being shown with pre-season promotion prospects like Wolves being in the relegation zone and teams that should be looking at League 1 football like Palace actually playing for promotion.

Results keep going our way too, and i think they again will this weekend. The game in hand against Barnsley will be a HUGE game regardless of Saturdays result, win that and it certainly is ours to lose, if it isnt so already.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The main difference between last year is that we are now very hard to beat. I don't see us losing many games during the run in. Winning as many home games as possible is the key.

I think Gus will settle with 3-5 points from the 3 away games and then go for it at home.

Won't do it. And puts too much pressure on every home game must be a win.

Go for the jugular like Holloway, Zola, and Billy Davies. Attack and fight for three points, every game, home and away. Seems to be work.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Won't do it. And puts too much pressure on every home game must be a win.

Go for the jugular like Holloway, Zola, and Billy Davies. Attack and fight for three points, every game, home and away. Seems to be work.

Disagree. Only Zola is making that work with identical records both home and away. Our away record is better than palace And forest. Going for it at home is where palace are succeeding, we would do well to follow their lead.

BBC Sport - Football - Championship Table

screamadelica

Jan 28, 2013
Looking at the fixtures list for Saturday, I've suddenly become very pessimistic about our playoff chances.

You have to fancy Forest to beat Wolves at home and Leicester should also beat Sheff Wed too. We know first-hand that out-of-sorts Middlesbrough won't have an easy time at Bristol City.

I'd take a point at Bolton if offered, and it won't be easy to come back with that.

It's all giving me a sense of deja vu from last season - slipping away from the playoff picture when the going gets tough.

Convince me otherwise, please...

Have to agree with you, not playing a strong team on tuesday and then not resorting to a plan B shows how much Poyet has got to learn,saying that we are going tomorrow so hopefully will be travelling back with all 3 points in the bag

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Our fixtures ain't no tougher than anyone else's. In fact I doubt any of our rivals have got an easier last four games, than Posh, Blackpool, Leeds and Wolves. Chances are they will all be on their holidays by the time we play them. Christ on a bike, two days ago we were better than Barcelona, now people are already lining up their excuses...I still think we will/bloody well should finish top six and if we don't I think Poyet has really ****ed it up, big style.

Posh and Wolves could be fighting for their lives to stay in the division, which could make them very tricky games!

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
Posh and Wolves could be fighting for their lives to stay in the division, which could make them very tricky games!

I see what you mean..But rather Posh and Wolves than Cardiff and Watford. Fact is we got two teams above us at home and nine teams currently below us...I don't see how our run in is any harder than anyone else's.Its just people already looking for an excuse, which quite frankly there isn't one because we should have at least half a dozen points more than we currently have.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
We're 6th with a far superior goal difference, a game in hand and not the hardest run of games to come. And our squad is REALLY good. Ulloa is scoring, El-Abd/Upson/Kuszczak have let in one goal in four games (and a crazy overhead kick at that). We'll beat Bolton tomorrow, or at worst a point, and all this pessimism will be gone.

/optimism

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Comparisons:
This season: P35 W14 D14 L7 GF50 GA35 GD15 PTS56 Posn 6th
Last season: P35 W15 D10 L10 GF42 GA36 GD6 PTS55 Posn 7th

So we're doing a tad better ... not as "better" as we should be doing in my opinion considering the players we have brought in.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
There is always one team that surges up the table to make the top 6.

To me the current form guide suggests it will be us, Forest or Bolton (all 3 in the top 4 of the current form table - last 6 games).

I think Bolton have left it too late (5 points behind and played a game more).

Our goal difference must count as an extra point which may help (+10 better than Forest).

I just hope Forest get the jitters and **** it up, leaving us on the road to Wembley.
HALF a point actually, eh [MENTION=13]CHAPPERS[/MENTION]. :)

Oh, and I think we will make it fairly easily. But we will look back at those early dropped points and think that second spot was there for the taking.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I see what you mean..But rather Posh and Wolves than Cardiff and Watford. Fact is we got two teams above us at home and nine teams currently below us...I don't see how our run in is any harder than anyone else's.Its just people already looking for an excuse, which quite frankly there isn't one because we should have at least half a dozen points more than we currently have.

i imagine theres quite a few teams who feel they should have more points than they have

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here