Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Playoffs pessimism

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
As no one has done this yet, let's take a look at the squad towards the end of last season. Frankly we had run out of steam long before we started dropping out of the play offs. The only thing that saved us from further dropping was the realisation that a fit Vicente was good enough to beat Championship teams on his own. Whilst I still believe this to be true, it was maybe a little naive to expect him to perform this trick twice a week for three months.

CMS finished the season with a back injury which severely hampered his mobility. Credit to him for soldering on, but he was largely ineffective, for the last couple of months.

Reinforcements came and bought nothing but trouble.

2 from West Brom, one nicked for driving whilst banned and one nicked by a pair of personal topiary shears.

2 from Man City, one of whom had no end product the other forced the club to track down Robert Codner and ask for the return of the all time enigma shield. Raziak's debut was stunning, his consequent behaviour and lack of interest still baffles me.

Vokes showed that he could be a decent striker at this level one day, but that he was not quite there yet. I am sure someone will tell me, I am being more than a little generous here.

Gonzalez demonstrated just how crucial a decent goalkeeper is to any team. Someone once thought he was worthy of an International cap, but then again someone else once decided that Dan Harding was a better left back prospect than Leighton Baines. Hindsight is a funny thing sometimes.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
However, I do think there are players wtih niggles, less than fully fit (Buckley I suspect may be one) and a couple of key injuries will clearly have a potentially devastating effect.

We can but wait and see.

Something is seriously up with Buckley. Two moments stood out on Tuesday: First was when the ball was rolling out for a corner to us, and he turned to the linesman to check the decision was going our way before letting it roll out. Second was in the same corner when he knocked the ball past the defender but, rather than look to continue with the run, invited the foul and took the free kick instead. I'm certain that on both occasions the attacks would've been a lot more dangerous than the resulting corner and free kick when the defence has had a chance to organise itself.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Something is seriously up with Buckley. Two moments stood out on Tuesday: First was when the ball was rolling out for a corner to us, and he turned to the linesman to check the decision was going our way before letting it roll out. Second was in the same corner whet he knocked the ball past the defender but, rather than look to continue with the run, invited the foul and took the free kick instead. I'm certain that on both occasions the attacks would've been at more dangerous than the resulting corner and free kick when the defence has had a chance to organise itself.

One does wonder whether his mind is totally on the job ..almost a loss of confidence as much as fitness

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
As no one has done this yet, let's take a look at the squad towards the end of last season. Frankly we had run out of steam long before we started dropping out of the play offs. The only thing that saved us from further dropping was the realisation that a fit Vicente was good enough to beat Championship teams on his own. Whilst I still believe this to be true, it was maybe a little naive to expect him to perform this trick twice a week for three months.

CMS finished the season with a back injury which severely hampered his mobility. Credit to him for soldering on, but he was largely ineffective, for the last couple of months.

Reinforcements came and bought nothing but trouble.

2 from West Brom, one nicked for driving whilst banned and one nicked by a pair of personal topiary shears.

2 from Man City, one of whom had no end product the other forced the club to track down Robert Codner and ask for the return of the all time enigma shield. Raziak's debut was stunning, his consequent behaviour and lack of interest still baffles me.

Vokes showed that he could be a decent striker at this level one day, but that he was not quite there yet. I am sure someone will tell me, I am being more than a little generous here.

Gonzalez demonstrated just how crucial a decent goalkeeper is to any team. Someone once thought he was worthy of an International cap, but then again someone else once decided that Dan Harding was a better left back prospect than Leighton Baines. Hindsight is a funny thing sometimes.

That's a very good reminder mr rolls ..particularly the 'running out of steam' bit ..my belief was that we were punching above our weight and eventually it caught up with us

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
One does wonder whether his mind is totally on the job ..almost a loss of confidence as much as fitness

It was tweeted a day or two after the window had close (Naylor I think) that he was subject to a bid from Swansea. Head turned maybe?

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I'm not that bothered about going up, down or whatever - as long as it's unpredictable, it keeps me fixated. Having said that, of course, I love it when we do well, but I like the pattern of hope/despair that is our right as fans of a football club. With regard to the original post, I am very slightly pessimistic, but that's OK as I currently live in hope - there is a candle flame of optimism that is unlikely to be extinguished until very late in the season and I can't ask for more than that.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I was baffled by his unwillingness to run at his man against Hudders, couldn't figure it at all

I'm more baffled by the fact that we have KLL on the bench and he remains unused. Blackburn at home was his last run out wasn't it? Last time I remember him starting was against Watford, when he was really lively and the instigator of our best attacks.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I believe we have an even chance of making the playoffs even without bringing a striker in. We have Barnes to play in the slot behind Ulloa. We have Vicente to come back (he's ALWAYS "coming back" - what's the problem this time? Yet another injury?); we have Toby or Barker to fill a place on the bench (not ideal, but who knows what they might be able to do?); we have JFC to show his true colours.
Not going to be easy, but nothing in this division is!!

I should hope we have an "even chance" given our current position!

It is no time for the kids if we are serious about promotion. The players we have on our bench are equally important to the starting 11, with the possible exception of the Keeper, which we never hope to need to use. Poyet had to rest the Argie on Tuesday, so it does not look good if we need him to play all of the remaining games does it?

We need a good quality striker (where have I heard that before?!) if we are to maintain our momentum.

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
We need a good quality striker (where have I heard that before?!) if we are to maintain our momentum.

Shame there isn't millions of them going spare. In a few weeks, Man U will have the title, maybe we could ask them to loan out Rooney/RVP as the team can just kick back and relax?

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
After taking all 3 points off Bolton on Saturday we will all be excited again football funny old game. Don't really care as long as we beat CPFC . :ascarf:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Shame there isn't millions of them going spare. In a few weeks, Man U will have the title, maybe we could ask them to loan out Rooney/RVP as the team can just kick back and relax?

It is not easy is it? Are there any foreign leagues in their "close season" that may have a few spare at the moment?

There is a big gap between the best in the Premiership and what we need to "do a job" at Championship level, so Manure internationals are not what we need (not that we would decline an offer naturally). Although what makes me think we have a prayer of getting one after the last few we have borrowed I just don't know.

footychick

Nicola
Dec 8, 2005
Soham, United Kingdom
Speak to people who follow other clubs in this league and you may get a slightly less irrational, mypoic voew of the situation.

We have lost 7 out of 35 games. We are on a good run and have won 4 from 6 (I think - or is it 5 from 7?)

We have beaten Hull at home, Cardiff away, Burnely at home and yes, |Tuesday night was dire - but against a side that have dispatched Forest and WAtford recently with some ease.

We have a striker having just buried a hatrick, Bridge to come back and Vicente to play some role in the latter stages. The squad is strong and is in good shape.

I work with a Forest fan and a Hull fan and they both see us as the real danger team coming into the latter stages. Last years experience will stand us in good stead at the moment as we move into this last charge. I would be far more concerned if we were shipping goals, drawing games we should be winning - its in fact quite the reverse in recent weeks - Bristol in particular should have caused us damage and they did not. Getting out of there in tact with a point was more than we deserved - but we are now becoming a formidable unit even when our free-flowing football deserts us.

I suspect most of the jitters are from us - what is close enough to touch makes the final stages so nerve-racking.

I really fancy us and if we fail at the last then another season of championship football will be fine by me. It has been a long long time since we had this level of football to enjoy and although I am hopeful we take the chance with both hands, I think our own past is what makes some so nervous.

He has assembled a great team - some may not like the style, the approach and cannot forgive the odd poor performance.

Hold your nerve, steady's the word and lets look forward to playing sides that results will directly impact our own destiny.
Love this :albion2:

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Speak to people who follow other clubs in this league and you may get a slightly less irrational, mypoic voew of the situation.

We have lost 7 out of 35 games. We are on a good run and have won 4 from 6 (I think - or is it 5 from 7?)

We have beaten Hull at home, Cardiff away, Burnely at home and yes, |Tuesday night was dire - but against a side that have dispatched Forest and WAtford recently with some ease.

We have a striker having just buried a hatrick, Bridge to come back and Vicente to play some role in the latter stages. The squad is strong and is in good shape.

I work with a Forest fan and a Hull fan and they both see us as the real danger team coming into the latter stages. Last years experience will stand us in good stead at the moment as we move into this last charge. I would be far more concerned if we were shipping goals, drawing games we should be winning - its in fact quite the reverse in recent weeks - Bristol in particular should have caused us damage and they did not. Getting out of there in tact with a point was more than we deserved - but we are now becoming a formidable unit even when our free-flowing football deserts us.

I suspect most of the jitters are from us - what is close enough to touch makes the final stages so nerve-racking.

I really fancy us and if we fail at the last then another season of championship football will be fine by me. It has been a long long time since we had this level of football to enjoy and although I am hopeful we take the chance with both hands, I think our own past is what makes some so nervous.

He has assembled a great team - some may not like the style, the approach and cannot forgive the odd poor performance.

Hold your nerve, steady's the word and lets look forward to playing sides that results will directly impact our own destiny.

Thank you for this.

After our next victory/draw/defeat and NSC is awash with knee-jerk manic depressives or instant gratification numbskulls, I will remember your post :)

golddene

Jul 28, 2012

Exactly, I could have written this myself, thanks for doing it for me !

Westdene Wonder

Aug 3, 2010
Brighton
Having experienced top league football when the Albion gained promotion to the then Division 1, I am more than happy to see us continuing in the Championship where we will maintain good attendances and have sufficient finances to support a decent team,we failed to gain promotion last season but few would want to change places with Southampton or Reading.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here